Black Authors : "Push" by Sapphire

Astrologer4U

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 18, 2008
California
Occupation
Self Employed
Has anyone read the book "Push" by Sapphire?

I read this book about 5 years ago. It is not a thick book, It only took me about two days to read it but after I read it, I thought Sapphire was one of the best black Authors out there who had not been noticed yet. Well turns out, a movie has been made based on her book and the Moive is called "Precious" Monique is going to be in the movie and Oprah along with Tyler Perry is promoting the movie.

Here is a trailer...

Astrologer4U

I

read. It was hard to read and I tell you, I dont care who is in the movie. Im not sure I want to see it. She's obese, was raped, gets pregnant, her mother is evil, and while it had a good outcome in the book as Im sure it will in the movie, I just dont know if I can watch it. I know these stories and they are not pretty.

The preview I saw, I didnt even recognize Mariah Carey.

I read it... book was well written.. movie was horrendous.. took out all the
uplifting stuff.. erased all the references to Farrakhan and Langston Hughes..
erased the mothers sexual abuse.. skipped over Jermaine's story.. and all the
other girls... I read the book and I listened to the Audio.. The Audio is really
really well done.. I've been listening to audio books for a long long time and this
was one of the best productions I have experienced..

That movie was like cutting you up without killing you, then dipping you in a septic tank only to leave you somewhere far from help - nothing good came out of it.

I think they tried ending the movie on a happy note - but, MAN, that was the saddest part even if she was smiling.

If you have any kind of similar experience with this young Queen Sister, please stay away from the movie. I haven't read the book so can't comment on that, I see someone mentioned Hughes and Farrakhan maybe I'll take a look :D

One,

- Ikoro

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back