Science and Technology : Purchasing Memory

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by watzinaname, Sep 11, 2005.

1. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    After checking out my computer's task manager, I have found that my poor computer only has 64MB of memory...yikes!!!! CPU is running low, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I ran a scan for spyware, and got rid of some items, but that didn't improve the performance. I suppose at this rate it's a wonder that I'm online at all. What I need to know is what specifically do I need to purchase for Windows XP Home Edition as far as memory goes?

2. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    you're right; 64meg ain't enough!

at one time, i would have said 256meg would be "enough". the puter would definitely run better, and it might even be "enough". but it's getting to the point where 512meg is "not too much". 256meg will definitely give you a boost, tho!

3. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    So, I suppose as long as it's compatible with windows XP I'll be alright then? Hopefully after I solve this problem I'll be able to stay in chat for longer than a couple minutes.

4. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    i have a gig.

you need to look into buying a new box.
    it may be less trouble than installing additional memory.
    i mean the price of PC is low nowadays and you sound like you have an old geezer (like me) so it may be more cost effective to just get a newbie and be done with it.

5. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    but i like my "old geezers"!! do i have to consign them to the old geezer's home where they'll just waste away without the joys of being as useful as they can be? :bawling: i don wanna! :cry: so what if it's only got one toofus left? it's still moderately useful! :pout:

on the other hand; given that the industry agrees with james, it might would be easier to get a new puter than to find the memory for an older puter ... which does the suxors really well!! how old is your puter? if it's that old, throw it away over my way!! always looking for more additions to my "DumpsterTech Net"! :D

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    cost/benefit: the effort you would go to and the expense would be better invested in a new box.
    just like an old car, at a certain point it makes no sense to continue putting money into it.

7. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    well, if a big chunk of that money goes to the tech that installs it, yeah ... i gotta keep remembering; i'm a "do it yourself" kind of person and not everybody is.

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,748
    to me, a computer is a means to an end it is not an end in itself.
    it's an appliance, like a refrigerator.
    i cannot repair my stove or washing machine.
    i do not choose to spend my time doing that.
    if they break i decide if it's worth it to have it repaired or do i want to replace.

9. anAfrican

United States
    Ratings:
    +745
    funny you should mention those two specific items.

when i was growing up, mom used to just get so ticked at dad because he would forever be repairing the stove or washing machine when they broke down. i guess i just followed right along. he had a philosopy of "why pay them to break some other part of it when they mostly fix the bit that i went to them for?". even today, at 85 years old, he'll tackle cutting some scrap 1/4" iron down to size to repair the bed of the trailer he built on the frame of an extra boat trailer he had out in the back yard. ... well, actually, he was cutting it down to build a trailer on another boat trailer, but i convinced him that it would be faster to fix the old one. but the old one has a bent tongue that he had already mostly straightened out. (hmmm ... come to think of it, i guess that would be four boat trailers out there; two others have small boats on them. jeez; i guess that is where i get it from all right! looking around, there are four old puters that are running, plus the 486 that i just retired; a 386 that still runs, a turbo xt and an original pc with a cassette port, plus the commodore 64 and the apple ][+! not to mention a couple dot matrix printers and a few ink jets ... hmmm)

sure, it's a trade off; do i spend the time fixing it myself, or do i waste money that could be better used otherwise and take it to somebody that is gonna try to ensure that i have to come back to him with another repair that he can charge me another arm and leg for? it just always seems like as soon as something goes into the shop once, it is forever going back to the shop. i just like to put that off for as absolutely long as possible. <shrug> besides, it's fun to tinker! er .. well, to me it is, anyway.

self-reliance and save a buck or two? or toss my hard earned cash at somebody else and pass up a chance to learn something new?

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    wow I have an old geeze and made the choice to get a new one
    to give me the power i need , but i want to keep it and rebuild it
    to my likings at a later date .