Black Sports : Puma Creates BHM Sneakers in Honor of Iconic Olympic Sprinter Tommie Smith

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by Liberty, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    [​IMG]

The image above is a powerful one. This black power salute is embedded in our history. In 1968 Olympics athletes
    Tommie Smith (gold) and John Carlos (bronze) made history during the Olympic games in Mexico City. With the world, watching the sprinters stood on the medal podium and raised their black-gloved fists in the air in silent protest for human rights and for black Americans to stand in solidarity.

Read more

http://goodblacknews.org/2016/02/27...onor-of-iconic-olympic-sprinter-tommie-smith/

• Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,078

Gotta get a pair of these, for sure, they are beautiful with all of our colors too ... Yup!

[​IMG]

Yara Shalhidi and Tommie Smith at the Puma and Sheikh Shoes Launch Celebration at Mastro’s Beverly Hills (Photo credit: Charles Jim-George)

[​IMG]

3. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    I think I want to get some for my son. They are a limited edition, so, I guess you have to order them right away. It's a brilliat idea.

And, like they said, I had no idea he had removed his shoes. What a legend! I hope he shares in the profits.

I like these the best
    [​IMG]

4. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,238
    The Black Power Salute That Rocked the 1968 Olympics

[​IMG]

Gold medalist Tommie Smith (center) and bronze medalist John Carlos (right) raise black-gloved fists during the American national anthem at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City. Australian sprinter Peter Norman, who won silver in the 200 meters and supported Carlos and Smith's protest, stands at left.

When Olympic sprinters Tommie Smith and John Carlos stood atop the medal podium at the 1968 Summer Games in Mexico City, bowed their heads and raised black-gloved fists during the playing of the national anthem, millions of their fellow Americans were outraged. But countless millions more around the globe thrilled to the sight of two men standing before the world, unafraid, expressing disillusionment with a nation that so often fell, and still falls, so short of its promise.

In tribute to Smith, Carlos and every other athlete—Eric Liddell, Curt Flood, Sandy Koufax and on and on—who has acted on principle in a highly public way, LIFE.com presents John Dominis’s indelible portrait of that moment.

Read more

http://time.com/3880999/black-power-salute-tommie-smith-and-john-carlos-at-the-1968-olympics/