Black Men : pulling cards and whatnot..

Discussion in 'Black Men - Fathers - Brothers - Sons' started by skuderjaymes, Oct 18, 2010.

1. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Man o man..
    my little cousin (22)tweeted this to his facebook friends this afternoon:

"I havent been high all week. I havent been full once either. Worst week of my life hands down."

I went back at him with this:

"dude, you grown.. do your thing. .you know how I feel about it.. but
    listen: do me a favor an delete my nephews and nieces from your friend list..
    I already had my kids delete you.. none of them really need to be hearing all
    of this glamorization of getting high.. not from somebody that they love and
    respect.. they really shouldn't even be on Facebook.. but they are.. so do
    that for me.. we have a responsibility to think about what we are saying and
    doing in front of the folks that we care for.. You might not agree with that
    right now, but keep living and you most likely will later.. anyway, I'm going to
    cut it off right here and just wish you all the best.. last thing.. we have a
    responsibility as sons, not to fall into the same holes that consumed our
    fathers.. I love your father like he is mine and I watched what happened to
    him.. I'm not going to watch the same thing happen to you.. tweet by tweet..
    so that's it for me.. Peace."

What made me really upset is that my whole family is on Facebook.. in fact,
    all of my friends on this profile are family members.. I have a second profile
    for friends.. anyway.. the whole family is getting these tweets and nobody is
    saying anything.. they all just keep silent about it.. I just can't understand
    that.. it really is sad to see someone destroying themselves in the same way
    that their father did.. I pulled his card but I know that it won't make any
    difference. I know that he'll keep going until he either sees the light or get's
    brain damaged like our younger cousin did by mixing weed and X.. I'm called
    his mother and left her a message.. and I'm calling his big brother to go have
    a sit down with him.. I hope he can shake himself lose from this mess and make
    his music thing work.. anyway.. I don't really have a question.. just sharing
    some real life.. comments? questions?​

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    My prayers are with you, here on the East coast some of us are experiencing some real bizzare behavior from family members,
    who do thigs tonot only destroy their lives but the lives of other, and get on twitter, with a whole facade and fantasy world.

The sad thing is that we do not have regular get togethers or family meetings like we did back in the 80s were folks are counciled about their behavior, the uncles to the young men and the aunts to the young women.

Now we only see each other at funerals and weddings, and engage in only superfical discourse, promise we will have those deeper "it takes a village" type meetings,

but never do.

It is painfull to see how we misuse this technology rather then use it to uplift the race or even uplift our own personal families,
    and from my recent experiences families are becoming further apart, rather then being closer together, which will be needed as the economy collapses.

Most of the time I come here hoping to find answers, becuase brother, alot of us are going through this and worse!

3. Amnat77

Amnat77 Well-Known Member MEMBER

professional.
    Ratings:
    +2,622

what was his response?

4. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    nothing. I don't expect any response from him. He's a sidestepper. He doesn't
    know how to deal with things directly.. he's not a confrontational person. I've
    had to do this before over different things.. but nothing so serious as this. He
    would get mad for a while then we would see each other at some family event
    and he would be fine. And I would see that he has made the adjustment I had
    confronted him about. I don't expect this to be as simple but his mother and
    brother are involved.. and he works for his mother so, she has some weight
    with him. I'm trying to get his father's number.. see if he can give him a call
    or something. He's a good kid.. but he has too much time on his hands. He
    needs to go to school.. get some education about something other than hip-hop and sports.​

5. skuderjaymes

Japan
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I wish I could say that this got better over the last 3 years..
    but.. it really feels like your playing tug of war with the whole world on the other side when you go against culture..
    and the culture that has wrapped itself around so many of our young people is pure destruction.

6. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    anyone who puts their biz in the streets like that needs a serious reality check....

one love
    khasm

7. info-moetry

info-moetry STAFF STAFF

United States
    A+ technician
    Ratings:
    +6,486
    peace

Unfortunately, it seems to be the norm. This is why i hardly even touch facebook on the regular because all you see are post's like this and similar.

I have a younger cousin who i told him that he needs to get up outta the basement. Meaning take a deep breadth and slow down about all these girls he keeps whining and complaining about on facebook everyday. he's a cool little guy, but he's obsessed with the dating scene and he seems to rate every girl he meets and post's about it.

Others post the dumbest ish in the world and i can't find the delete friend button fast enough. I mean do i really need to know that your off from work today and that you need to use the bathroom, but you don't feel like getting out of bed? :10500:

I mostly just ck my inbox for messages about upcoming events and then i bounce.

I can't even count the number of heathens i know who are thanking 'god' on the daily for this and that knowing full well they ain't hardly living, or even trying to live half way right.

8. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472

i know what u mean....i have had to ax connection cables on mofos like that too...
    i post music...try to build with like minded individuals and like u said...check out the upcoming events...thanks to fb i've been to some banner gatherings the last couple of years...and been introduced to some knowledge that was before unseen....

one love
    khasm

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    i like this thread ... :)

i don't pull cards and stuff ... not for real ... not out in front of folk

i've shivered in my being at some stuff i've seen posted by folk on facebook

in fact ... one time i did say sump'n ... was fuss'n and stuff ... and i'd mistaken someone else for my cousin! :eeek:

so for this and other reasons ... i'm very slow to speak to any one about what they're doing

in fact ... i've gotten to where i don't even look ... 'cause it's so hard for me not to say anything

and in most cases ... they're young adults and don't want to hear me telling them to stop ... :look:

plus ... they'll problee unfriend me and i won't even have a chance to know ... if i wanted to look

but generally ... i don't look

great topic

:heart:

Destee

10. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    lol ... in fact ... back when i did look and fuss and stuff ... cause folk were cuss'n ... :look:

my famblee told me that i aint on destee.com ... go away ... :lol: ... :love:

hmmmm ... i think they pulled a card on me that time ... :thinking:

:heart:

Destee