Black People : Public School Has Failed Black America

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by HODEE, Aug 3, 2003.

1. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Glencoe/McGraw-Hill is the nation's leading educational publisher for grades 6-12.

www.glencoe.com/

Their : Tip of the Day
    Raise the Bar for Students
    Expect more from your students. Raise the bar for your students a notch next year.

===================== Under the above caption you can find Downloads, free test that can help your children even if you don't use this McGraw Hill publisher. There are computer programs that cost less than twenty dollars that will improve reading and math skills. Lots of free downloads.

For free downloadable materials you can use in your classroom today! We've selected a host of smart resources designed to save you time while enhancing your instruction. New materials are added weekly!

=====================

Public Schools have failed Black America because of the content and practice of selecting books that offer no base and grasp on math, reading or science. My children attended private school for a while and I saw a major difference in the material. I could have been a "A" student if the material presented in public school had half of the explanatory and problem solving tips and examples found in the books published and purchased by the private schools.

What I found is the books for private school children doesn't cost that much more than those of public school books. In some cases they cost less than the books used in public schools. The material is outlined and summarized in such a way. That if you just read the summary. You have a chance of making a decent grade. I kept and purchased some the books and even found the school threw out the last edition and purchased the updates almost on a yearly basis.

This isn't because they can afford it. It is because the material is really updated and selected to give the student a chance of success.

For example I'm looking at a history book my son had in the sixth grade. It is Titled: American Odyssey - The United States in the Twentieth Century. Author Gary B. Nash. Published by GLENCOE which is an affiliate of Macmillan / McGraw Hill. McGraw Hill is the same supplier of public school curriculum.

Here is where this book published by GLENCOE is different from any class room book I have ever seen.

My college books weren't this well structured.
    There is the author. Two Consultants that reviewed the material. Seven Contributing Consultants. Thirteen Content Reviewers. Twenty-four Educational Reviewers.

Now don't take this for granted. This is the point and the reason the material is presented so well. Summarized like it is. And outlined in the fashion I'm referring.
    These aren't small time consultants and contributors either. The chapters are very well outlined and noted.

Unit one starts out with more African American history than I have ever seen in a history book. It starts with some Literature from Alex Haley.

The book is outlined with Charts and Diagraphics. In the front it explains how to use and understand the sections.

Each section opens with a date line. Main Headings are outlined in red, subheadings are in green. Gives you a section at the bottom of each page that is a study guide that helps you focus your attention on the main point of the section.

List Central Concepts. List thinking skills that give you the opportunity to further develop your understanding of the section. All vocabulary terms are in bold. Tons of visuals and photo's that enhance your sense of "being on the scene" ( their quote ) as history happens; maps and graphs interpret the setting and the statistics of history.

Loads of captions that help you think about what you see. Questions footnoted to specific passages of the text allow you to check your understanding of the material you have just read.And a section review that gives you the chance to demonstrate your understanding of the section, think about the material in a new and critical way, and relate this period in history to today or to another time.

A section that explains the players and opinions of both sides of the issue in history and gives the reader insights into their thinking. And a wrapping up section that have questions, activities, projects, and further resources that help set the story in larger context.

So what is point. We have been duped by the BOARD OF EDUCATION. YOUR CHILDREN HAVE BEEN DUPED.

There was a comment in another post that said " All education should start at home! " " If we are not strong enough parents and friends to educate our own kids and the kids in our community better than the school system and media then that is our own fault. "

I agree it is our own fault, but not our doing. Our children need to attend school to be educated. Each school gets so much per student. Enough so that better test books could be used and purchased. Public schools always scream. There isn't enough funding.

I believe the funding is adequate. The administration is lacking and management of funds are too loose. A better book costing a few dollars more, and some time to select a better book is better than a bad one. Administrators are always saying. There isn't enough student interest to get the job done. What is true. Is the schools aren't presenting our children with enough of the right material to interest them. Parents could better help students. If books like these are purchased.

2. Royal_T

Royal_T Well-Known Member MEMBER

LAW ENFORCEMENT SOMETHING!?!
    Ratings:
    +13
    i had something posted, but I took it off. But it began with Dead Prez saying.

The same people that control the school systems, control the prison systems...

These schools can't teach us sh**, my people need freedom I'm trying to get all I can get....

Telling me white man lies straight b.s.....

Sums up a little about what's really going on.

My opinion:

If property taxes support your education and I'm living in a community where being poor is taxing your ***...how smart can the school system make you. I look across the tracks to the big houses and Bentley coups....yeah...I'm pretty sure education is a different story over the tracks. It's simple. People running the show know what the deal is. It's a system destined to fail when you need money to do it. I have to beg my alderman to get good books in schools, but if war is wanted by the elected official...they do what they want with my mula then. Sad case.

3. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    I think that the main problem with education is that they are still using a failed - whole learning program... it does not work and skip over the basics. Learning is structure based-- I am 34 and I remember learning to read by rote... rhythm and syllables and orally... this method has been thrown away by most of our schools in the nation... this is why kids cannot read.

(sorry got a meeting... will get back to you all... great topic, and great advice.... but I find some lacking in Glencoe English books)

4. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Dead Prez be dropping some truth. Cats need to listen to the songs Propaganda, Police State, and Black Rose.

I also believe that the school systems have failed us. I know in one of Malcolm X's speech he says how blacks are maneuvered into poverty. We attend the worse schools so we end up only able to apply for the worse jobs.

Also, our youth are being taught miseducation. Everytime u see some famous black person on tv it is always some rapper or athlete and that person either dropped out of high school or skipped university. Making it to seem that education is not that important. You can make it without an degree/ education but it will be a whole lot harder. I have some friends who laugh at me because I hang out at the book store but are amazed at how much I know. I am like, "everything u want to know is in a book".

Education is taken for granted. A lot of kids donot know how to learn. The teacher teaches the pupil, but at some point the pupil should become the teacher. Just because u leave that school house doesnot mean u have to stop learning. You can never stop learning. I do believe in home schooling.

Power through Knowledge

5. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I learned nothing from High School except how to be manish...:D ;) ...but seriously, 89-93%% of the knowledge I had upon graduating HS I aquired before the 9th or 10th grade....sad :( ....I honestly think back on HS and wonder "what in the hell did we do in class????".....

6. DreamFunk

DreamFunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    ...those are truthful words that most rather turn a blind eye to....

Thomas Jefferson's words are chiseled in stone on the Jefferson Memorial in Washington DC. As all White nationalists know, the monument has inscribed on it, "Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate, than that these people are to be free." The quotation leaves out the second part of the sentence, which starts with a semicolon where the memorial has a period. It continues saying,"; nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government."

...these are the words of one of America's most praised forfathers...Amerikkka lives by the words of these men...