Black People : Public Enemy’s Chuck D slams New York’s Hot 97

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by jamesfrmphilly, Jun 9, 2014.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,742
    [​IMG]

Following their 21st annual concert, Summer Jam, Hot 97was criticized by hip-hop pioneer and Public Enemy front man Chuck D.

In multiple tweets that lasted over the course of a few days, Chuck D touched on monetization and the cultural responsibilities that radio stations have on the mass, especially considering the role Hot 97 has had on the culture for supporting local acts and becoming a mainstay.

Chuck D blasted the station.

Ebro Darden and Peter Rosenberg of Hot 97 defended the station, responding to Billboard. While they agreed with some of Chuck D’s talking points, they did place some of the ownership on fan involvement and album sales and how they influence radio.

“I think there’s validity to what he’s saying as to, ‘I guess Hot 97 could be more local,’” Darden replied. “But people that listen to us when we research the songs don’t vote those songs high enough to stay around. I have this debate, and I put the onus back on the public to participate.”

“I’m sure that if I was to have a conversation with Chuck D, I would agree with him on certain issues about what more radio could do,” Rosenberg said. “But the way he stated it now, it’s not accurate. It’s not reflective of what the actual role of the station is.”

As the Twitter back and forth continued, the hip hop culture conversation spiraled into current debates of who “controls” the culture. Because the N word has become liberally used in mainstream rap, the “Fight the Power” emcee questioned whether the response would be the same if they were to use anti-semitic slurs.

“If there was a festival and it was filled with anti-Semitic slurs… or racial slurs at anyone but black people, what do you think would happen?”

http://thegrio.com/2014/06/09/chuck-d-slams-new-york-radio-station/

2. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    :whistling:

3. UBNaturally

UBNaturally Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    “But people that listen to us when we research the songs don’t vote those songs high enough to stay around. I have this debate, and I put the onus back on the public to participate.”

We can give the public arsenic laced kool aid too if they wanted it, but we know if it isn't "killing", it isn't selling.

"Nikki Minaj made a killing yo! You see how much she making??!?"
    #nikkikills

But ho hum, every 30 or so years, the "rulers" have to create a new poison as the old ones build up an immunity. These artists are so far gone now, that even the LEGENDS stay away.

Could you imagine Rakim on the same track as 2 Chainz or Future?

Master P started making sense, so they needed a new strategy, and then blame the anonymous "public" as the cover story for peddling the kool aid.

4. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    This is what Russell "Coon" Simmons is now calling Hip Pop
    [​IMG]

When Dead Prez dropped the Acapella version of "Hip Hop", I began to realize how distinguish the pure artist from the fictionalized, test tube artists... listen to them without the music.

Kanye is so focused on becoming the next great "Business Mogul" (I AM WARHOL!), that he has signed on to some of this mess in order to do so.

What some of these new heads don't realize is, Kanye is a student of "Hip Hop" and while he was producing with No ID, Common and the like, he was focused on putting out "Good Hip Hop"... after his accident, he switched modes into "Getting His".

New heads come out the gate trying to "Get Theirs", at the detriment of the spoken art of Rhythm And Poetry, where neither seems to be alive much because of it.

"You aint got the answers Sway!!"

Respect

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,742
    who controls what we hear?

6. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Since humans are social animals (one step up from being herd animals) and no man/woman is an island.... who our peers are &/or what the popular culture dictates, to an inordinate degree, determines what we listen to.

7. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    If you mean who controls what we are given to choose from?
    Well, that depends on where one goes to make the choices

The "Media Industrial Complex" is a network established to consolidate publishing and copy rights of artists.

Prince gave them the "middle finger" and they really can't do anything about it, as he dares any of them to attempt to make money off of his brand without going to him for approval...

Will not find any official "Prince" material on Youtube, and if so, it wont be on there long.

Of course there are always "underground" outlets, but often times these are a conglomeration of the same prototypes, and don't have enough room to develop an array of creativity that can be appreciated.

But if you mean who controls what we choose to listen to?
    That falls on each individual

So when it comes to what we hear... I am listening to "Boney James" at the moment, and I doubt his material is based on who is controlling it, but rather a lazy way of accepting the choices that are before us, and making the best of them.

*enjoys creating musical interpretations as well, the vibrations are potent... may share some in the course of duration.

Respect

8. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,742
    if i were to turn on a radio who is it that controls what is being played?

9. UBNaturally

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,736
    "Network" of affiliated groups and organizations.

I did a flow chart many years back on how most of the Media outlets (TV in particular) were under the umbrella of a select few Major Brokers.

So it would take plenty of re-search to decipher and filter through to see who or what "controls" the branding and the content that is delivered on any particular media outlet and avenue by in which it is delivered.

But if we take the Tom Joyner Morning Show for example, we can look and presume it is controlled by "Tom Joyner".

Or we can speculate that if we look as the "Leadership" of Interactive One, the faces might not be what we would consider the support staff of Mr. Joyner:

Leadership

[​IMG]Alfred C. Liggins III (Cathy Hughes' son)
    Chairman and CEO of Interactive One

[​IMG]Tom Newman
    President

[​IMG]Smokey Fontaine
    Chief Content Officer

[​IMG]Mike Rich
    Chief Product Officer and Chief Operating Officer

[​IMG]Gillian Kellie
    Chief Financial Officer

[​IMG]Maria Weaver Watson
    Senior Vice President, East Coast Sales & Integrated Marketing

[​IMG]Dan Shelley
    Senior Vice President, Interactive One Local

[​IMG]Grant Cerny
    Senior Vice President Products, Operations & iOne Studios

[​IMG]Greg Toothaker
    Senior Vice President, Revenue Operations

Radio One owns a controlling interest in Reach Media, Inc. (www.blackamericaweb.com), owner of the Tom Joyner Morning Show and other businesses associated with Tom Joyner.

This is essentially stating that "Reach Media" controls the "Tom Joyner Morning Show".

[​IMG]David Kantor
    CEO of Reach Media

Respect

10. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,742
    white people control black art and use it against us.......

Users found this page by searching for:

1. greg toothaker