Beauty - Hair Care - Fashion : PSYCHARA DREADLOOK

Liberty

Banned
Reaction score
Yesterday, for the first time, I ran into a Sister who had fake dreads. Wow! I had so many questions. This is what I learned from her.

1) Her "dreadlocks" were almost exactly the same lenght and thickness as mine, but they were oviously fake extensionsions.

2) The fake hair cost $15.99 +6.25% tax, = $16.99 per package

3) She needed 13 packages = $220.87

4) She had to pay the loctician $80.00

Total Cost =$300.87

IFE

Reaction score
Yesterday, for the first time, I ran into a Sister who had fake dreads. Wow! I had so many questions. This is what I learned from her.

1) Her "dreadlocks" were almost exactly the same lenght and thickness as mine, but they were oviously fake extensionsions.

2) The fake hair cost $15.99 +6.25% tax, = $16.99 per package

3) She needed 13 packages = $220.87

4) She had to pay the loctician $80.00

Total Cost =$300.87
$300 is cheap, not inexpensive, cheap. Did you mean $800?
Usually natural hair stylist charge per lock. 1 lock, using real natural kinky hair, can cost $10.00-$18 each depending on the length. I took a lock class, and the instructor recommended charging the higher cost. Some stylist may stop at a certain price, say $2,000-$3,000 for a complete head of locks. It ain't cheap.
My natural hair stylist price is $10-15 dollars per lock. She also does lock repair, which she charges me $5-$8. When I have hair that has grown outside of a lock I pay $10 for one lock. She's been doing my hair for years and I do try and barter her down. But I know the cost. If I need two locks, that's $20 added to my bill. She may go as low as $15 for regular customer.
She makes her locks by hand in advance. She does not use ready made locks.
Locks are expensive because each lock can take at least 10-15 min to make and 5 min to attach to your hair.
I actually like the term fake locks. If they didn't grow from your own scalp they're fake.
I feel some kinda way when I see a head full of instant locks, knowing I started mine the natural way and took a miserable 3-6 months to start locking.
Natural kinky hair looks like hair from the barber shop. Little kinks that attract like a magnet to form a lock by hand. It's not easy. I have made a lock for loose hair growing outside of a lock at home. The natural kinky hair is hard to work with. $18 per lock is worth the work.
Our own hair sells. Barbers seem to know this.

Liberty

Banned
Reaction score
Usually natural hair stylist charge per lock. 1 lock, using real natural kinky hair, can cost $10.00-$18 each depending on the length. I took a lock class, and the instructor recommended charging the higher cost. Some stylist may stop at a certain price, say $2,000-$3,000 for a complete head of locks. It ain't cheap.
My natural hair stylist price is $10-15 dollars per lock. She also does lock repair, which she charges me $5-$8. When I have hair that has grown outside of a lock I pay $10 for one lock. She's been doing my hair for years and I do try and barter her down. But I know the cost. If I need two locks, that's $20 added to my bill. She may go as low as $15 for regular customer.
Locks are expensive because each lock can take at least 10-15 min to make and 5 min to attach to your hair.
I actually like the term fake locks. If they didn't grow from your own scalp they're fake.
I feel some kinda way when I see a head full of instant locks, knowing I started mine the natural way and took a miserable 3-6 months to start locking.
Natural kinky hair looks like hair from the barber shop. Little kinks that attract like a magnet to form a lock by hand. It's not easy. I have made a lock for loose hair growing outside of a lock at home. The natural kinky hair is hard to work with. $18 per lock is worth the work.
NOOOOO! Her's were FAKE HAIR not HUMAN HAIR!

Liberty

Banned
Reaction score
-
I can't find it now, but I think I saw some human hair going for like $40 a pack. Does that sound right?

IFE

Reaction score
NOOOOO! Her's were FAKE HAIR not HUMAN HAIR!
She was using ready made locks?
I don't know anything about those.
The loctician must have been a friend. $80?
I pay more than that for color and retwist or other style.
If I walk in for an updo it cost $25.00.
I could do my own, but I don't want to.....I don't.
( $$$ why I went to cosmotology school, and took natural hair class)
Than went back to working with the military.