Black Christians : Proverbs

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by cherryblossom, May 2, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Proverbs 1:
    [2] To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
    [3] To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;
    [4] To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
    [5] A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
    [6] To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.
    [7] The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 3:
    [13] Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.
    [14] For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.
    [15] She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.

Proverbs 20:
    3] It is an honour for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will be meddling.

Proverbs 30
    [24] There be four things which are little upon the earth, but they are exceeding wise:
    [25] The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer;
    [26] The conies are but a feeble folk, yet make they their houses in the rocks;
    [27] The locusts have no king, yet go they forth all of them by bands;
    [28] The spider taketh hold with her hands, and is in kings' palaces.

2. mizjoice

mizjoice Well-Known Member MEMBER

to encourage and support
    Ratings:
    +36
    ah, proverbs! i don't think it is a coincidence that there are 31 proverbs--enough to read one daily (with a few left over some months!)

regarding your "experiment": Proverbs Chapter 24:3-4: "Through wisdom is an house builded; and by understanding is it established; and by knowledge shall all the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches."

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    I can only agree, MzJoice! :bowdown:

Isa.55

[11] So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

4. mizjoice

to encourage and support
    Ratings:
    +36
    Well, let the church say amen!

II Corinthians, Chapter4:1 "Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;"

(and again) II Cornthians, Chapter 4:13 "We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;"

No, Sister, I bow to you! :awe:

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Sho nuff!

I'll start with the 4th chapter. Today is the 4th.

Proverbs 4:
    [14] Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
    [15] Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
    [16] For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
    [17] For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
    [18] But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
    [19] The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.

6. mizjoice

to encourage and support
    Ratings:
    +36

Sounds good to me!

Proverbs, chapter 4:

{5} Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
    {6} Forsake her not, and she shall perserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
    {7} Wisdom is the principle thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting, get understanding.
    {8} Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
    {9} She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.

(yet again)

Proverbs, Chapter 4:

{24} Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
    {25} Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.
    {26} Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.
    {27} Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    4:7 is one of my favorites!

But, excuse me while I digress to Psalms for a minute...

My mother's and grandmother's daily mantra:
    Pss.121

[1] I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
    [2] My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.
    [3] He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
    [4] Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
    [5] The LORD is thy keeper: the LORD is thy shade upon thy right hand.
    [6] The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
    [7] The LORD shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
    [8] The LORD shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

8. mizjoice

to encourage and support
    Ratings:
    +36
    Ahhh, the hills!!!!!!

Isaiah 56:12 For ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you in singing, and all the trees of the fields shall clap their hands.

Good night, Sis Cherryblossom-good rest to you-see (you tomorrow!)

9. mizjoice

to encourage and support
    Ratings:
    +36
    Day 5, Proverbs, Chapter 5:

{15} Drink waters out of thy own cistern, and running waters out of thy own well.
    {16} Let thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of water in the streets.
    {17} Let them be only thine own, and not strangers' with thee.
    {18}Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth.

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Prov.15

[1] A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.
    [2] The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.
    [3] The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good.
    [4] A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit.
    [5] A fool despiseth his father's instruction: but he that regardeth reproof is prudent.
    [6] In the house of the righteous is much treasure: but in the revenues of the wicked is trouble.
    [7] The lips of the wise disperse knowledge: but the heart of the foolish doeth not so.
    [8] The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD: but the prayer of the upright is his delight.
    [9] The way of the wicked is an abomination unto the LORD: but he loveth him that followeth after righteousness.
    [10] Correction is grievous unto him that forsaketh the way: and he that hateth reproof shall die.
    [11] Hell and destruction are before the LORD: how much more then the hearts of the children of men?
    [12] A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him: neither will he go unto the wise.
    [13] A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken.
    [14] The heart of him that hath understanding seeketh knowledge: but the mouth of fools feedeth on foolishness.
    [15] All the days of the afflicted are evil: but he that is of a merry heart hath a continual feast.
    [16] Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith.
    [17] Better is a dinner of herbs where love is, than a stalled ox and hatred therewith.
    [18] A wrathful man stirreth up strife: but he that is slow to anger appeaseth strife.
    [19] The way of the slothful man is as an hedge of thorns: but the way of the righteous is made plain.
    [20] A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish man despiseth his mother.
    [21] Folly is joy to him that is destitute of wisdom: but a man of understanding walketh uprightly.
    [22] Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.
    [23] A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!
    [24] The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath.
    [25] The LORD will destroy the house of the proud: but he will establish the border of the widow.
    [26] The thoughts of the wicked are an abomination to the LORD: but the words of the pure are pleasant words.
    [27] He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live.
    [28] The heart of the righteous studieth to answer: but the mouth of the wicked poureth out evil things.
    [29] The LORD is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.
    [30] The light of the eyes rejoiceth the heart: and a good report maketh the bones fat.
    [31] The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise.
    [32] He that refuseth instruction despiseth his own soul: but he that heareth reproof getteth understanding.
    [33] The fear of the LORD is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.