Black People : PROUD To Be A Black Geek

g'morning. now this is why i love being a Geek: the joy of helping someone by digging into a problem, handing off some thoughts and possible solutions on the subject and letting them learn to fix their problem!!

let's take a look at some possibles:

Good morning All

I'm getting a error code 17 boot failure on my acer laptop,(when starting) can somoone tell me what that means please?

I just had new hardrive installed in dec.

Thanks in advance .
and everything has been working fine since then? (or maybe not-so-fine "under the surface" somewhere?) have you added some hardware or software since then? do you recall what you were doing just before things went blooey? did the box freeze up and require a "hard" reboot (ctl-alt-del right in the middle of something being stuck)?

Good morning All

I'm getting a error code 17 boot failure on my acer laptop,(when starting) can somoone tell me what that means please?
is that acer running windows or linux? both have an error code 17 on some boot failures. but you didn't say anything about a "grub error", so ...

Windows:
support.microsoft.kb said:
Code 17
The driver information file <name> is telling this child device to use a resource that the parent device does not have or recognize. (Code 17)

To fix this, click Update Driver to update the drivers for this device.

where <name> is the .inf file for the device.

Solution button: Update Driver

This code means that the hardware is a multiple-function device and the .inf file for the device is providing invalid information on how to split the device's resources to the child devices.

To resolve this error code, use Device Manager to remove the device and then run the Add New Hardware tool in Control Panel. If you continue to receive this error code, please contact the hardware's manufacturer about an updated .inf file.
what "<name>" is being reported?

Linux/GRUB:
however, if it is a GRUB (GRand Unified Boot loader) error, try these links:
GRUB Error 17

UbuntuForums - GRUB Error 17.

Basic GRUB Diagnostics

a
g'morning. now this is why i love being a Geek: the joy of helping someone by digging into a problem, handing off some thoughts and possible solutions on the subject and letting them learn to fix their problem!!

let's take a look at some possibles:

and everything has been working fine since then? (or maybe not-so-fine "under the surface" somewhere?) have you added some hardware or software since then? do you recall what you were doing just before things went blooey? did the box freeze up and require a "hard" reboot (ctl-alt-del right in the middle of something being stuck)?

is that acer running windows or linux? both have an error code 17 on some boot failures. but you didn't say anything about a "grub error", so ...

Windows:
what "<name>" is being reported?

Linux/GRUB:
however, if it is a GRUB (GRand Unified Boot loader) error, try these links:
GRUB Error 17

UbuntuForums - GRUB Error 17.

Basic GRUB Diagnostics

Thanks anafrican! i bite the bullet and dropped it off at a local shop here, the techincian seemed unsure of what the problem might be however... i should find out someting tommorow.

my acer is runing windows vista premuim, xp in is on there aswell.

No everything really hasn't been working fine since a new hardrive was installed in dec of last year, i noticed it did alot self repairs, moreso than before.

Yes it did require the hard reboot, then i get messages saying boot faliure error code 17

always one step ahead of me! yes i remember getting a 'grub' message then it led me to a command line .

well, it's already gone to the shoppe, but ..
a

Thanks anafrican! i bite the bullet and dropped it off at a local shop here, the techincian seemed unsure of what the problem might be however... i should find out someting tommorow.

my acer is runing windows vista premuim, xp in is on there aswell.
hmmm ... a dual-boot scenario. ok, that would make it sound like something just got lost, or something got tangled during the dual-boot set-up. also, you mention, below, that you did get a grub error: did it have some flavor of linux on it? (you don't mention which acer it is; some of them do ship with linux.)

No everything really hasn't been working fine since a new hardrive was installed in dec of last year, i noticed it did alot self repairs, moreso than before.

Yes it did require the hard reboot, then i get messages saying boot faliure error code 17
"self repairs"??

what was it doing when you had to hard reboot it? if those messages popped up after that, then something didn't quite get written back from memory, or something just got lost/overwritten.

always one step ahead of me! yes i remember getting a 'grub' message then it led me to a command line .
"ah-HA, he repeated." ok, then. i'd imagine that you wouldn't remember if it said "grub stage 1 loading", or "grub stage 1.5 loading" before dropping back to the command line?

but wait a minute!! this is the "new" drive with the grub error? when they swapped in this "new" drive, did they do the re-install of the operating system? apparently, this drive had grub in the mbr. your fix might be as simple as booting with the windows cd, getting to a command line and typing "fdisk /fixmbr". or, it might be as tricky as completely wiping it (being sure that the master boot record (mbr) is overwritten. but, again, this all depends on which OSes are on the puter, and, if linux is actually there at all. and/or, more importantly: what configuration YOU want on it - do you want vista only; xp only; vista/xp dual boot; linux on there somewhere as well. (dual booting with windows/linux means that one has to install stuff in a certain order and has to set up the bootloader just right. (grub is one of the boot loaders used in the open source world, and windows uses ... the filename i was thinking of is "ntldr", but the file i'm actually referring to is boot.ini - which will "chainload" another OS) but that is prolly just stuff for us really weird geeky kinda techs, eh?)

yes, memory that is going bad can give one some issues ... and not always the same issue either!

The technician was saying it either might be the hardrive or memory, what do you think?

and when i was at the shop it gave the option to restart in safe mode, but after that screen went blank....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back