Black People : PROTECTION VS. REVENGE

Hello family....

A few week ago I was in a discussion about the movie "Crash" and the question came up if you were in your car with your wife and some cops came up and pull u over for going through a yellow light. Now while they[the cops] ran your plates and license one of the officers got fresh with your wife. What would u do? My answer was that I would try and protect her... in what ever way necessary. Most in the discussion seem to think that by standing by and letting whatever happen to happen and not do anything to cause yourself to be arrested was the better way to handle the situation. Then try and seek revenge later. What really got me was most of the sisters agreed.

As I stated this discussion was a few weeks ago and I have been pondering this scenario every sense. And for the life of me I just can't seem to wrap my head around that waiting for revenge stuff. What is happening is happening right then and there. In your face..up close and very personal..What the hell does revenge have to do with protecting your woman?...I just don't see it. I could see if you were not there and found out about it later. But it is happening right then and there. In your face..up close and very personal. Are we still on the plantation on our knees? Or are we men... men who's job it is suppose to be... to protect our women?

Still pondering....
Lilpea :1on1:

This brings to mind a story my Father use to tell me. When he was a young man he shot a cop for harassing one of his Sisters. Now mind you, this all took place somewhere between the 1940s when racial injustices was openly demonstrated. He left his family and home town on the run from the law. He then enlisted in the army, compromised, he had to lie about his name and age because he wasn't old enough to enlist.

When i think about the disconnect it caused us (my siblings and i) i'm so hurt and frustrated by his actions. Yet, i'm proud of him too. Who knows for sure what would have happened to my aunt if he didn't intervene. This has cause us to never know our people on his side. And for that i often feel incomplete.

Sometimes there won't be enough time to rationally think about possible outcomes. You will have to do what you feel is absolutely necessary right then and there. I too would, and have put myself in harms way for a loved one. It's really a tough call when so much is at state. Happening right there in the now.

If my life isn't in immediate danger, i wouldn't want anyone to risk their life for my emotional being. I believe i'm strong enough to take one for the team if we both will survive it. However, if its certain that someone is going to die, its all worth the risk. It would probably be hard to live knowing that i stood, and did nothing while my loved one was killed.

:heart:

This brings to mind a story my Father use to tell me. When he was a young man he shot a cop for harassing one of his Sisters. Now mind you, this all took place somewhere between the 1940s when racial injustices was openly demonstrated. He left his family and home town on the run from the law. He then enlisted in the army, compromised, he had to lie about his name and age because he wasn't old enough to enlist.

When i think about the disconnect it caused us (my siblings and i) i'm so hurt and frustrated by his actions. Yet, i'm proud of him too. Who knows for sure what would have happened to my aunt if he didn't intervene. This has cause us to never know our people on his side. And for that i often feel incomplete.

Sometimes there won't be enough time to rationally think about possible outcomes. You will have to do what you feel is absolutely necessary right then and there. I too would, and have put myself in harms way for a loved one. It's really a tough call when so much is at state. Happening right there in the now.

If my life isn't in immediate danger, i wouldn't want anyone to risk their life for my emotional being. I believe I'm strong enough to take one for the team if we both will survive it. However, if its certain that someone is going to die, its all worth the risk. It would probably be hard to live knowing that i stood, and did nothing while my loved one was killed.

:heart:

Sister Purplemoon...

Sister thank you for sharing your story....this makes me ever so sure my thoughts were the right ones for me.

I am so sorry it ended the way it did....not knowing a part of u is a hurting thing but that is another topic which we share.... and i intend on doing a thread on it soon. So be on the look out.

Lilpea :1on1:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back