Black People : Proposed Debate Forum Suggestions

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Astrologer4U, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Astrologer4U

Astrologer4U Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    Debate Forum:
    First thing is first, we should probably have a specific forum for Debates, in other words a Debate Forum. The subjects of the debate forum can cover politics, religion etc. If someone wants to bring a debate to the table, they would go and post their debate view in the debate forum and await an opposing debater.

Here is a trouble shooter, there may be more than one person who wants to be an opposing debater on either sides. That should be okay, but there should be a limit. Five people per team sounds good but we can also have substitute debaters for those days that other debaters don't show up. If I get sick, or I am not going to be signed in for a while, or if I just want to take a break from the debate, I can pass on my debating slot to a substitute debater. At all times, there must only be 5 people per team debating, making a total of 10 participants. If members are not premium members, they can exchange information through email or pass on a message to a mod to give to another team member. Outside of the debator who initiates a debate and the first debater to accept the challenge of oppsoing view, all other people who decide to come in on the debate, cannot come in as additional participants unless, another member comes in for the other team. Teams must be even.

Ways to present a debate, say I want to debate on the subject of "when a child is considered an adult" I would post my argument in the debate forum under lets say, parenting. People who are parents may want to join in on the debate or aunts and uncles as well, even teachers.

Here is a trouble shooter, people who missed the sign up for that particular debate, may still want to post in the thread. They can post, but they cannot get points for the a team unless they are a substitute debater. Debaters can only respond to and opposing debater, who so ever the debating referee is, he or she can respond to those people who are not signed up debaters. The positive thing about allowing people to post, it may give the debaters some ideas, if they need any.

Expounding on Rules:

Referee:
    Debating Referee would be picked by team captain debater. Team Captain debater would be the first person who initiated debate and the first person to initiate opposing debate. Also, people can volunteer to be debating referee.

Presenting a debate:
    Simply post in the debate forum under subject of the debate, parenting, politics religion etc. and wait for an opposing debater to accept the challenge for debate.

Debating team mates:

There can be up to 5 debaters for each side, for a total of 10 participating debaters.

Substitute debaters:

Substitute debaters can come in at any time, but only if for whatever reason, a team member wishes to take a break. All people participating must be notified when a team member is passing the torch to a substitute debater.

Recognizing debaters:

Teams will have colors Like Red Blue or whatever. Whatever color team you are on, you will only post in that color. In other words, your text will be the color of the team you are on.

Ways to lose points:

Making personal insults towards participants.

Insulting the opposing view, just stick to the subject and give your opposing views.

Ignoring specific questions. Questions can be answered with questions, but only after the question has been answered.

Quoting sources without citing them.

Having a substitute debater take your place, without giving proper notice.

For each rule not followed in any given post 2 points will be deducted per violated rule.

Ways to gain points:

Whenever you post, if you have made no mistakes, your post will automatically receive 5 points for your team.

Point trouble shooter: If a team loses more points than they have, when they post with no mistakes or mistakes less than 5 points, points will be deducted from their 5 point post, until all points lost, are made up for.

Rules for debate referee:

The referee will not always see everything, in this case, it is up to the debaters to report and quote any violations in order to insure that who so ever committed the violation, will lose appropriate points.

Referee can post each day or every other day points received on each side and points deducted. If referee is present while debaters are on line and going at it with a debate, referee can post comments while debate is taking place and even when debate is not presently active.

In case of a tie/draw: Members who did not participate in the debate, will be asked to picke a winner and give their reason for why they picked the team that they picked. A total of ten people is ideal for picking out who the winning team should be.

Ending a debate:

As we all know, a debate can go on for a lifetime but after a while, things get a bit boring. I propose that debates should only last for a total of 12 days after starting. Of course after debate is over, people will continue to post and that is okay. Some of the people posting after debate is over should keep in mind that they should also make comments on how they felt the debate went, as this will encourage better ways for Destee.com members to respectfully follow the rules and respectfully communicate with each other.

Something to consider: Just because you are on the team for with, or against, does not mean that you are really with or against. Objective or Devils Advocate debating is just as fun because it helps people to sharpen their for, or against views and this will allow for people to participate on either side, hence filling all participant slots.

Destee, this part is up to you but if winners could get a free month membership, they may become more encouraged to practice the rules on engaging opposing views with other people. Also, the same thing with the poets. You know, like when a poet is poet of the month, we could also have debator of the month or something like that.

Of course, these rules can be modified/adjusted if anyone objects with good reason.

That's all I can think of now but If I notice that I missed something, I will come back and post the additions.

I hope I didn't take out the time to do this all for nothing... Hopefully we can get something started real soon, I am looking forward to it.

Astrologer4U

2. Astrologer4U

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486
    If anyone else has suggestions, please post them.

Astrologer4U

3. A007

A007 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +115

As this stands, one only has to post without mistakes to gain the maximum 5 points. Where is the requirement for the position to be factual, logical, on topic, and PERSUASIVE? The primary goal of a debate is to provide enough COMPELLING information and thought to persuade the audience/judges or, in this case, the reader to side with your position...sometimes even when they don't particularly agree with it.

There is an art to debating that maybe we can begin to learn in order to present more persuasive arguments for our people and others. With this being said, I am not sure how we will add these very necessary elements to the debate rules, but IMO they are absolutely essential if we are to move towards truth.

The only other thing that I would say was a con was the number of people. 5 people on each team may be too many. In a formal debate there are 2 teams of 3 and one of the three is an alternate. I think that would eliminate the length of debates and keep down some of the confusion.

What do you think?

4. Astrologer4U

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +486

Good point. 5 points for post with no mistakes. As for points towards persuasivness and compelling delivery, that should probably be judged on a scale from 1-5 by those who are viewing the debate. In such case, it doesn't matter how many people post their scales for either side becuase the one who was the most persuasive and compelling, will be the one who gets the highest sale. Here is a trouble shooter to think about though. What about those who have several different screen names and they come in giving a high scale score for the same dabator or a low grade scale for the debator the don't like. Then we will have a problem. I have to think out how to score the greatness of content a little bit better.

I think you also have a point there as well but there are so many members here who like to debate. Maybe we could have people debating about the same topic, but on different rounds, that way the limit could stay at 3 verses 5? I dunno, I am about to run out right quick but I will trouble shoot this in my mind while I am out. You do the same and hopefully we can agree on something straight.

Anyone else have any ideas, please post.

Astrologer4U