Black Spirituality Religion : Prophecies

cherryblossom

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 28, 2009
Old Testament Prophecies Of Jesus

"Study 3 explained how God's purpose of salvation for men was centred around Jesus Christ. The promises which He made to Eve, Abraham and David all spoke of Jesus as their literal descendant. Indeed, the whole of the Old Testament points forward to, and prophesies about, Christ. The Law of Moses, which Israel had to obey before the time of Christ, constantly pointed forward to Jesus: "The law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ" (Gal. 3:24). Thus at the feast of Passover, a lamb in perfect condition had to be killed (Ex. 12:3-6); this represented the sacrifice of Jesus, "the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world" (John 1:29; 1 Cor. 5:7). The spotless condition which was required for all the animal sacrifices pointed forward to the perfect character of Jesus (Ex. 12:5 cp. 1 Peter 1:19).

Throughout the Psalms and prophets of the Old Testament there are countless prophecies about what Messiah would be like. They particularly focus on describing how he would die. Judaism's refusal to accept the idea of a Messiah who dies can only be due to their inattention to these prophecies, a few of which are now presented:-

Old Testament prophecy Fulfilment in Christ
"My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Ps. 22:1). These were the very words of Jesus on the cross (Matt 27:46).
"I am despised of the people. All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shake the head, saying, He trusted on the Lord that he would deliver him: let him deliver him" (Ps. 22:6-8). Israel despised Jesus and mocked him (Luke 23:35; 8:53); they shook their heads (Matt. 27:39), and said this as He hung on the cross (Matt 27:43).
"My tongue cleaveth to my jaws...they pierced my hands and my feet" (Ps. 22:15,16). This was fulfilled in Christ's thirst on the cross (John 19:28). The piercing of hands and feet refers to the physical method of crucifixion used.
"They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture" (Ps. 22:18). The precise fulfilment of this is found in Matt. 27:35.
Note that Ps. 22:22 is specifically quoted as applying to Jesus in Heb. 2:12.

"I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and am an alien unto my mother's children. For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up" (Ps. 69:8,9). This well describes Christ's feeling of estrangement from his Jewish brethren and his own family (John 7:3-5, Matt.12:47-49). This is quoted in John 2:17.
"They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink" (Ps. 69:21). This happened while Christ was on the cross (Matt. 27:34).
The whole of Isaiah 53 is a remarkable prophecy of Christ's death and resurrection, every verse of which had an unmistakable fulfilment. Just two examples will be given:-

"As a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth" (Isa. 53:7) Christ, the Lamb of God, remained silent during his trial (Matt. 27: 12,14).
"He made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death" (Isa. 53:9). Jesus was crucified along with wicked criminals (Matt. 27:38), but was buried in the tomb of a rich man (Matt. 27:57-60).
It is little wonder that the New Testament reminds us that the "law and prophets" of the Old Testament is the basis of our understanding of Christ (Acts 26:22; 28:23; Rom. 1:2,3; 16:25,26). Jesus himself warned that if we do not properly understand "Moses and the prophets", we cannot understand him (Luke 16:31; John 5:46,47).

That the Law of Moses pointed forward to Christ, and the prophets prophesied of him, should be proof enough that Jesus did not exist physically before his birth. The false doctrine of the physical 'pre-existence' of Christ before birth makes a nonsense of the repeated promises that he would be the seed (descendant) of Eve, Abraham and David. If he were already existing up in heaven at the time of these promises, God would have been incorrect in promising these people a descendant who would be Messiah. The genealogies of Jesus, recorded in Matt. 1 and Luke 3, show how Jesus had a pedigree which stretched back to those people to whom God had made the promises.

The promise to David concerning Christ disallows his physical existence at the time the promise was made: "I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels...I will be his father, and he shall be my son" (2 Sam. 7:12,14). Notice the future tense used here. Seeing that God would be Christ's Father, it is impossible that the Son of God could have already existed at that point in time when the promise was made. That this seed "shall proceed out of thy bowels"shows that he was to be a literal, physical descendant of David. "The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David...Of the fruit of thy body will I set upon thy throne" (Ps. 132:11).

Solomon was the primary fulfilment of the promise, but as he was already physically in existence at the time of this promise (2 Sam. 5:14), the main fulfilment of this promise about David having a physical descendant who would be God's son, must refer to Christ (Luke 1:31-33). "I will raise unto David a righteous Branch" (Jer. 23:5) - i.e. Messiah.

Similar future tenses are used in other prophecies concerning Christ. "I will raise (Israel) up a Prophet like unto (Moses)" (Deut. 18:18) is quoted in Acts 3:22,23, which defines the "Prophet" as Jesus. "A virgin (Mary) shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel" (Is. 7:14). This was clearly fulfilled in Christ's birth (Matt. 1:23)."

http://www.biblebasicsonline.com/english/Study07OriginofJesus/0701OTPropheciesOfJesus.html

OLD TESTAMENT PROPHECY FULFILLED IN HISTORY
Chapter 6

One of the unique and fascinating aspects of the Bible is that in no other religious literature do we find the accuracy of fulfilled prophecy. Biblical predictions recorded sometimes hundreds of years in advance of their happening are fulfilled in minute detail. Following are a few of those predictions and fulfillments.

Cyrus

The prophet Isaiah, writing about 700 B.C., names Cyrus as the king who will say to Jerusalem that it shall be built and that the Temple foundation shall be laid (Isaiah 44:28; 54:1).

At the time of Isaiah's writing, the city of Jerusalem was fully built and the entire temple was standing. Not until more than 100 years later, in 586 B.C., would the city and Temple be destroyed by King Nebuchadnezzar.

After Jerusalem was taken by the Babylonians, it was conquered by the Persians in about 539 B.C. Shortly after that, a Persian king named Cyrus gave the decree to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem. This was around 160 years after the prophecy of Isaiah!

Thus Isaiah predicted that a man named Cyrus, who would not be born for about a hundred years, would give the command to rebuild the Temple, which was still standing in Isaiah's day and would not be destroyed for more than a hundred years. This prophecy is truly amazing, but it is not isolated. There are, in fact, hundreds of prophecies which predict future events.

Daniel's Seventy Weeks

In Daniel 9:24-27, a prophecy concerning the Messiah is given in three specific parts. The first part states that at the end of 69 weeks, the Messiah will come to Jerusalem. (Actually the 7 and 62 weeks are understood as 69 seven-year periods. For the explanation see Hoehner 69/117ff.) The starting point of the 69 weeks is the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem.

Concerning the first part of the prophecy (the coming of the Messiah), Wilson explains:

Included in the prophecy of the seventy weeks is the specific prediction that from the going forth of a commandment to restore and build Jerusalem unto Messiah the Prince, there would be sixty-nine weeks. Those weeks are weeks of years. After four hundred and eighty-three years Messiah was to come. 133/139

Daniel 9:24-27:

Seventy weeks have been decreed for your people and your holy city, to finish the transgression, to make an end of sin, to make atonement for iniquity, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most holy place.

So you are to know and discern that from the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince there will be seven weeks and sixty two weeks; it will be built again, with plaza and moat, even in times of distress. Then after the sixty-two weeks the Messiah will be cut off and have nothing, and the people of the prince who is to come will destroy the city and the sanctuary. And its end will come with a flood; even to the end there will be war; desolations are determined. And he will make a firm covenant with the many for one week, but in the middle of the week he will put a stop to sacrifice and grain offering; and on the wing of abominations will come one who makes desolate, even until a complete destruction, one that is decreed, is poured out on the one who makes desolate...."

http://www.greatcom.org/resources/areadydefense/ch06/default.htm

Fulfilled Bible Prophecy Dealing With Nations

(One example of archaeology supporting the Bible.)

Fulfilled prophesy is one of the many proofs we have that the Bible is completely accurate. (You can read about other proofs on our How Do You Know The Bible Is True? page.) Many prophecies can be proven through archaeology.

The Ancient Nation of Edom

The example on this page deals with the destruction of Edom and its capital city of Petra. Remember the movie “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?” The last part where they go through a narrow canyon and into a temple in a lost city was filmed at Petra. What happened in the movie was . . . well, just a movie. For example, the “temple” is really a magnificent tomb cut into the cliff.

Edom was a very powerful nation and Petra was not only a great city, but Edom’s capital. The people of Edom were proud of the strength of their cities, over which Petra reigned supreme. Located next to the mountain (or mountain range) of Mount Seir, other nations and people often referred to Petra as “Mount Seir”—a symbol of their strength and lofty position. Unfortunately, they were a very evil nation and each of the many prophecies about them in the Bible includes God’s judgment of their actions and a description of their future destruction. The Old Testament book of Obadiah is completely devoted to this topic.

Other examples include the following: http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/fulfill.shtml

Why do prophecies always involve a calamity of some sort?

I would love to hear a "prophecy" that predicts something positive for once.

A good prophecy for me would be "no more raping of babies and children will ever occur again on earth" i could deal with that one.

SURE!

The very BEST positive prophecies in the Old Testament were those which told of the Messianic Coming: JESUS!
:toast:

Deuteronomy 18:
[15] The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;
[16] According to all that thou desiredst of the LORD thy God in Horeb in the day of the assembly, saying, Let me not hear again the voice of the LORD my God, neither let me see this great fire any more, that I die not.
[17] And the LORD said unto me, They have well spoken that which they have spoken.
[18] I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.
[19] And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him.
[20] But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die.
[21] And if thou say in thine heart, How shall we know the word which the LORD hath not spoken?
[22] When a prophet speaketh in the name of the LORD, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him.

John 1:
[45] Philip findeth Nathanael, and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.
[46] And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.
[47] Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!
[48] Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.
[49] Nathanael answered and saith unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.

Luke 24:
[27] And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back