Black Money Business Jobs : Promotions and dealing in a white co-operate workplace

Discussion in 'Black Money Business Jobs' started by bobbie, Aug 30, 2012.

1. bobbie

bobbie Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    So i have been thinking a lot about my future and i know it will be either business, or law either way in a high-pressured place of work.
    Because i live in London, UK, it will most likely to be filled with white co-workers.
    First off, How do i deal with them. I know they can be ignorance and their subtle but deep racial prejudice can drive you mad, almost like they want to push your buttons. But how do i deal with them, in a way that you get on with your work quietly without unwariness mess and get that promotion, without comprising myself.

2. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    What a curious post...
    *smirk*

Well - I'll answer, anyway. I don't know about London and 'relations' over there. I'm not THAT 'international'. *laugh*
    But...I'd imagine that you can just do your work and acquire your promotions.

Racism? This will be highly anecdotal:
    I've no experience with that. My brother is in law. My soon-to-be is in 'high finance'. I've a few friends in the 'corporate' arena...and as a side note? I'll tell you like this: I never actually realized just how 'corporate' health insurance was until my friends began to tell me about their days. It is.
    It's 'big business'.

Racism? Hell, my homegirl - the one in health insurance - has dodged, like, 3 lay off rounds. Back in 08, when everyone was doing their best to flip entire neighborhoods before the bubble burst and housing dropped like a stone in water?
    During a meeting, she rec'vd notice of the layoff which was projected to happen a good year in advance.
    Layoffs came. Folks in the mailroom, the csr's and such were axed.
    This girl (and everyone in that meeting) was rotated to a different dept of the company. She rec'vd a higher starting salary ($75,000/year)...and her own 'corporate flunkies'.
    AND...that b/tch pulled 'severance', too!
    *laugh*
    Ms 'Golden Parachute' won't even tell me how much it was...even now. She made out like a bandit. Everytime they fire her 'people', she fires off some recommendation letters and learns more skills.
    That's not even the half of it. In the aftermath of this timeframe, every other time that I called/texted this gal?
    Whyyyyy was she was on a 'company dinner cruise'!
    Seriously!
    They were not drumming up business. Thy were just...hanging out.
    I say, "Now, how the hell... ya'll got money to be throwing yacht shin-digs and s...t, when the company just laid off hundreds of people?"
    She said, "Girrrrrl..." I could see her in my mind's eye, shaking her head.
    *laugh*

So, folks that I know in corporate...do well. They're not 'the chosen negro' of their dept/company. They don't kiss a..s. They don't 'sell out'. They don't want to be white. I find it a little disgusting that some within this community whine about black folks being unable to do this, that and the other. But then...when they actually are? They're crucified and it's assumed by the whiners that they somehow sold out...as they beg the 'doers' for their help?
    But...no. These people have goals. They work towards them. They work hard...for self and family.
    I don't say that racism doesn't exist.
    I'm just saying: The folks that I know who play the corporate game do well. Racism exists because you can't police thoughts. Personally, I don't care what someone thinks. So long as they don't represent a barrier to success...think what you will. I couldn't care less.
    But...racism just isn't the barrier that it once was...because you can't really be an out of the closet racist without penalty (and a heavy civil suit).

Of course, some would disagree.
    Know that I don't particularly care...*laugh*
    I talk about what I know about, i.e., my life.
    ...and folks that I know who play the corporate game...have done well.

I'm not business/corporate. I'm healthcare/nursing.
    I've never dealt with racism in the workplace.
    I've dealt with a good ol' boys type atmosphere...but I was in the military and it was a gender issue. Ironically, the 'blackness' helped.
    These were white guys...and they'd push over and bully the white women (especially).
    Me, black woman...?
    It wasn't fear on their parts.
    It's more, like... it takes a certain kind of person to deal with abuse. I've found that individuals with abrasive/abusive/intrusive personalities tend to back down when they're facing what they perceive to be an equal.
    I can understand why some are bullied more often than others. You can literally sense weakness within a person. Those with bullying personalities know who they cannot mess with. They know who will and won't take the abuse lying down.
    I'm not particularly confrontational. If I do 'go there', it took a lot to take me there and it's usually from a defensive posture.
    But...I'm black and well - black women are said to be strong-minded, opinionated and mouthy. You're kind of looked upon as being 'stronger', for better or worse.
    So....

They were wigging out and speaking disrespectfully of one of the LTs because she'd led the convoy in the wrong direction.
    Well - so? The male LT with his non map-reading a..s got us lost the previous day...and we didn't say a thing.
    ....but let a woman f up and the spotlight is shone.
    So, they were really dragging her through the dirt while we were eating and making sure that the soldiers were settled. She caught wind of it from the male tent. I wasn't aware until she told me.
    She didn't want to make an issue of it.
    Well - I did. I marched to the male tent and gave everyone in there a piece of my mind. The guys who were in there (b/c it wasn't ALL of them in on it) did agree with me. I mean, the whole situation was for the birds.

In the first place, WTF kind of man runs around beefing with and picking fights with females? Also? He was running that girl into the mud in front of the soldiers in his van.
    Completely unprofessional.
    SMH
    Unbecoming of an officer. Unbecoming of a MAN.
    I also jumped him because I'd heard (through the grapevine) that he'd made a comment or two about me.
    Well, "What's on your mind? I'm right? I'm right...here."
    He denied, of course. What a p**sy.

The ringleader did apologize, after a while. BUT -- the *** didn't even apologize to the girl he'd insulted.
    He apologized TO ME...can you believe that?
    Then, he was trying to buddy up and the other guy (higher ranking) was playing mediator attempting to smooth it over to maintain appearances. Uh, uh.
    I wasn't maintaining s---t! I didn't discuss the matter. I went about my business. I stood next to him at the back of that company, sat next to him in the meetings....*shrug* I gave him all the superficial respect due to his rank.
    But, if it wasn't related to the mission...and there was no good reason to speak to him?
    I did not. Why was this a problem?
    Then, a week after the incident and I'd resumed speaking to that clique of males? One of his flunkies called himself trying to get flirty.
    SMH
    I was too through with these crazed males.
    In the end, I had the respect of a lot of the males.

Minus the Air Force, the military is just NO place for a woman...imo. It's not that women can't do the work. I've met plenty who could meet the male requirements. It's really because of issues like this. When you throw the sexes together in close quarters? You're asking for trouble...just look at the Navy and how hanky panky on the ship completely screws up the objective. I can say that I never experienced so much sexual harassment and gender discrimination UNTIL I joined a component of the Army....

3. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    1) Have a plan.
    2) Focus on your business or task at hand.
    3) Always have a lifeboat strategy.
    4) Save your e-mail. Get as much as you can in e-mail.
    5) CYA (Cover Your Assets)

4. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    Promotions are a consequence of what the person making promotion decisions thinks of you. Managerial staff does consider merit, but they also weigh that against whether or not they like you personally.

Even if the business climate dictates that your unique talents be rewarded, if your superiors do not look at you and see some aspect of themselves, they will always be looking for a reason to show you the door, or imprison you below the infamous glass ceiling, as soon as the business climate permits it.

This dynamic is why the most competent of employees rarely get promoted to upper management. When I was in corporate America, I rose to a certain level in the technical arena. But I never quite got over how incompetent, insecure, and just basically immoral those in upper and middle management consistently were. Needless to say, it was only a matter of time before, even with certain technical skills I amassed [I was one of the rare black Cisco CCIEs back in the days when CCIE numbers only had 4 digits], it was always only a matter of time before I was invited to leave involuntarily.

It is best to proceed according to who _you_ want to be and what _you_ want to accomplish. Because, regardless of what hiring and promotion decisions others make, it is most important to maintain a deep sense of self-worth which is not dependent on the opinions of others.

5. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Wow ... powerful stuff. You still do network engineering?

6. thePreacher

thePreacher Banned MEMBER

Agent Of Change
    Ratings:
    +815
    No. I got out --- well, actually, I was laid off --- back in 2006. Truth be told, I was not all that excited by how the industry was moving towards VoIP. Chasing dial tone, even when it was really RTP packets instead of DTMF tones, never excited me. I also was not enthusiastic about getting involved with the Microsoft Exchange aspects of Unified Messaging. Many a time, I would sit in a room with a dozen people [technical engineers, sales engineers, and project managers] and marvel at how customers were being convinced that paying for a dozen people to work months on migrating a functional TDM phone system to a VoIP phone system with worst uptime was a good idea.

Not that VoIP is a bad idea. it is actually a great idea. The delivery system just got so horrendously mucked up by so many incompetent sales engrs and acct mgrs and project engrs who managed to pass some level of Cisco VoIP certification but had limited real world experience. I have not kept up with how the industry fared in the last few years. But when I left VoIP certification had become a golden opportunity for technical services companies to re-caucasianize their technical staff by transparent decisions about who to invest money in training and who not to. Unlike with routers and switches, indepth VoIP expertise was difficult to acquire by self-study alone. You needed access to rather expensive equipment [PBXs, several servers running both Windows Server and Microsft Exchange, etc.]. This allowed companies to reduce the brown and black faces which had slowly snuck into LAW/WAN support teams back in the router and switch days by limiting who got access to the aforementioned expensive hardware and who did not.

The official excuse was that companies were hiring and promoting based solely on who had VoIP certification. The real excuse was that companies were selectively deciding who got access to the equipment and training necessary to become certified and who did not.

7. Shikamaru

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Interesting. I'm a server engineer currently. I'm thinking of getting out of IT as well. Just when cloud computing was getting interesting :) ....

It can be a trip working on teams.

It should be easy to set up the servers now with virtualization. Even right now, on my dinky HP workstation running XenServer, I can stand up several servers running Windows Server 2008R2 and exchange. Through a virtual switch, those servers can connect to a PBX. If we wanted to go open source on the PBX would could setup Asterisk. The Asterisk program can run on a VM itself. All you would need from there is the bank of phone lines unless a single phone line can be virtualized into multiple ...

I'm no expert on VoIP, but the server part as well as the open source PBX is certainly doable.

Politics, got to love it. Right?

I'm finding that competency isn't weighted as highly as it should be, in my opinion.

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137

Remember, it's about the job and the mission. Focus on that and ignore the baiting. People who do good work, get noticed

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

:hello: bobbie ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :wave:

Thanks for joining us and sharing!

I think it's great that you're thinking of how to navigate these situations prior to being in them. Well, i guess it's great, for it shows you are aware of your environment, though it's not so great that we must have to consider things like this. It took actually beginning to work, before i had a clue such environments even existed.

I'd say the best way to deal with it, or any situation for that matter, is to be in control of your own self. Your energies, feelings, emotions, thoughts, etc., so those outside of you have little ability to effect them ... as little as possible. Now, this won't guarantee the promotion you're more than qualified to receive, but it will help you deal with the disappointment if you don't get it.

Wishing you much success, and please make yourself at home.

:heart:

Destee