Black Entertainment : Progressive 'Miss USA' 2017 Crowns Conservative Contestant

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, May 15, 2017.

1. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,154
    In the Spirit of Confused Sankofa? :thinking:

Progressive 'Miss USA' 2017 Crowns Conservative Contestant

... Miss District of Columbia, Kara McCullough, was the scientist J was referring to. She seemed to be a focal point of the show from the very beginning, receiving the most screen time and even getting pulled off to the side by model Ashley Graham for a more in depth interview.

When it came time for the contestants to answer questions, McCullough was asked "Do you think affordable health care for all U.S. Citizens is a right or a privilege and why?" And she responded, "I'm definitely going to say it's a privilege. As a government employee, I am granted health care, and I see firsthand that for one to have health care, you need to have jobs" ...

:facepalm: No, its a right ...

Video ... 2:02
    https://www.yahoo.com/tv/progressive-miss-usa-2017-crowns-065534782.html

Progressive 'Miss USA' 2017 Crowns Conservative Contestant

Miss USA 2017 was all about female empowerment and diversity. The event attempted to distance itself from its past by focusing on more than just the superficial aspects of a traditional beauty pageant. While introducing the group of contestants,...
    yahoo.com

[​IMG]
    Miss District of Columbia USA Kara McCullough reacts as she is crowned the new Miss USA by former Miss USA Deshauna Barber during the Miss USA contest Sunday, May 14, 2017, in Las Vegas. (AP Photo/John Locher)

Superfan TV•May 15, 2017

2. Hermetic

Hermetic Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +314
    She is entitled to her own view and I still congratulate her on winning and on being a highly accomplished sister to boot. Unfortunately, she is right about Health Care being a privilege since it has not been made a Right by either party. The only way to make Health Care a Right is to do what other first world nations have done and make the system a one payer system giving every citizen free Health Care. Until that is done, it will always be a privilege that one must pay for.

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,154
    :facepalm:

Miss USA, a government employee, says affordable health care is a 'privilege'

... With efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act happening in Washington, it’s obvious that a polarizing question like this would get some divisive responses on both sides. Here are some reactions from Twitter ...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/miss...fordable-health-care-privilege-153827192.html

Miss USA, a government employee, says affordable health care is a 'privilege'

Kára McCullough argues that we need to create more jobs.
    finance.yahoo.com

[​IMG]
    (AP/John Locher)

By

[​IMG]
    Julia La Roche
    Yahoo FinanceMay 15, 2017

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,154
    Miss USA 2017 winner Kara McCullough slammed for comments on 'man-hating' feminism

... Defending McCullough against the swarm of criticism, one supporter countered: "People are mad in the #MissUSA hashtag because the winner Kára McCullough is a scientist who describes feminism as man hate. Slay, queen," while another tweeted: "Kara McCullough just triggered every feminist on earth and I couldn't be happier. Let's be honest...it's man hate" ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/miss-usa-2017-winner-kara-111743031.html

[​IMG]
    Miss USA Kara McCullough

[​IMG]
    Alicia Adejobi
    International Business TimesMay 15, 2017

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,154
    She's confused though.

Op-Ed: Oh snap! Miss USA just gave America a needed shot of 'health-care reality'

Who could have guessed that the fresh voice and added nuance we've needed in America's health care debate would come from... a beauty queen?!?

But it's actually happening after 25-year-old Miss District of Columbia Kara McCullough won the Miss USA pageant Sunday night; during the pageant, McCullough created a controversy when she was asked the clichéd and all-too-simplistic question: "Is health care a right or privilege?" ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/e042edc5-48ce-3942-b28b-e0a1a2cad816/op-ed:-oh-snap!-miss-usa-just.html

Op-Ed: Oh snap! Miss USA just gave America a needed shot of 'health-care reality'

Forget the critics. Miss USA provided a real dose of wisdom on health care, says Jake Novak.
    yahoo.com

[​IMG]
    Getty Images. Forget the critics. Miss USA provided a real dose of wisdom on health care, says Jake Novak

[​IMG]
    Jake Novak
    CNBCMay 15, 2017

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,154
    :great: ... Tried to tell y'all she was confused, or misunderstood :facepalm:

Miss USA Kara McCullough clarifies health care comment: 'I do believe that it should be a right'

Newly-crowned Miss USA Kara McCullough clarified her remarks on health care that had drawn ire on social media, saying she believes health care "should be a right" for all.

"I am privileged to have health care and I do believe that it should be a right," McCullough, 25, said today on "Good Morning America." "I hope and pray moving forward that health care is a right for all worldwide" ...

Video ... 6:15
    https://www.yahoo.com/gma/miss-usa-...-believe-120531078--abc-news-celebrities.html

[​IMG]
    KATIE KINDELAN
    Good Morning AmericaMay 16, 2017

7. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,846
    Okay, so she changed her answer, or rather maybe clarified her feelings on a more global issue in regards to everyone. She said she worked and based her answer on 'jobs', and I can understand her point of view in this regards.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +13,154

Exactly Chevron, besides, 30 seconds to answer complex questions creates this kind of confusion.

Health care is a very comprehensive subject, nevertheless, a human being should never be denied health care, anywhere. Its unthinkable to say health care is a privilege and not a right.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • List
  9. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,846
    Oh thank you so much for this response!

It really is 'unthinkable' [!!!] to say that health care is a privilege and not a right-- A Human right!

These young ladies are asked to respond to 'deep' and loaded questions that are also political issues and it so interesting on how they are chosen based on their quick responses.

I remember a few years ago, one question was about whether or not they believed in 'the theory of evolution' and I remember that most of the White girls said yes, but the black contestant and runner up, Ms. Kentucky [Kia] said no...She didn't win the crown. LOL