Black Short Stories : Profiled... a black man's reality

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by cocobutterskyn, Nov 2, 2003.

1. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +221
    Profiled
    A Black Man's Reality​

The Medical Center kept Dr. Tyrese Morgan occupied the past couple months performing more cosmetic surgeries than usual. Lately he's been spending long hours ensuring the physical beauty and fitness of others, while neglecting his own. Though he wasn't out of shape, he did miss his regular visits to the gym near County Memorial Hospital, where he did his residency. A few colleagues at the private medical center where he is on staff, suggested he check out Tighten Up, a fitness club in the Brentwood Hills area. It was a great distance from his penthouse apartment, but they assured him it would be well worth the mileage. Tyrese took advantage of their two week guest membership trial. He was so impressed, he signed up for a one year membership before the membership trial expired. Recently he'd been entertaining the thought of purchasing a home and the commute to and from the club gave him the perfect opportunity to view the community of Brentwood Hills... that was a year ago.

The locker room atmosphere fogs with steam from the shower stall. Tyrese releases gratifying sighs, as the hot water penetrates and subdues his tense muscles. It's been a few months since he'd been to Tighten Up. As he blots the water from his body, he relishes the thoughts of getting home to his king-size bed waiting to comfort his over worked body. It's his weekend off... completely off... that meant, no hospital and no interrupting beeps from his pager. He hadn't had one of those in awhile. His plan is to spend a peaceful weekend at home. He has no intentions on stepping out the house for anything, so he made a stop at the Shop and Go to purchase groceries, a bottle of wine and Blockbusters to rent a couple movies.

Robert Burnhardt a fifty year old white twenty three year veteran officer with The Brentwood Hills Police Department. His partner of fifteen years had recently retired and he was assigned a new partner... a situation most veteran officers didn't look forward to. This particular time more so than ever, because of integration changes. The department had recruited Cornel Womack, a thirty year old black male and Burnhardt was not only the lucky chosen one to break in a rookie, but a rookie who was not one of his kind.
    It's been six months since Womack joined the force. The days where still long and tense, both officers dreaded the beginning and anticipated the end of each shift.

Next to Blockbusters there is a popular coffee house "The Coffee Spot" where many Brentwood Hills police officers frequent for coffee breaks. Directly after Tyrese enters Blockbusters, Burnhardt and Womack pull up and park behind his car.

"Isn't that a beaut...?" .
    "What's that?" Womack asked.
    "The Jaguar parked in front."
    "Yeah, it's a nice car."
    "Nice... man that's a 2003 limited edition!"
    Womack responds in a nonchalant manner,
    "Yeah... it's a good looking car."
    "I thought you people were in to cars."
    "What's that suppose to mean Burnhardt?"
    "Nuttin' brotha... just chill."
    Womack counters with strong tone and a sharp stare,
    "I'm not your brotha."
    Chuckling Burnhardt replies, "Alright... alright, whatever.."

When Tyrese exits Blockbusters, Burnhardt and Womack are standing outside their patrol car eating donuts and drinking coffee. As he passes, walking toward his car, he greets them with a hello. Womack returns his greeting, however, Burnhardt simply grunts and sips from his cup.With anger obvious in his voice, Burnhardt comments,

"How do you like that ****! Here I am working a honest, hard day's work... driving around in a Focus and some baller... who ain't worked hard for nothing, pulls off in a Jaguar."
    "Baller...?"
    "That's right... Baller!" He continues, "Let's see what he's up to."
    He throws his coffee and half eaten donut in the garbage and tells Womack to get into the patrol car. As Womack gets into the patrol car, he offers Burnhardt a suggestion,

"Maybe... he's gonna watch a movie... he is coming from Blockbusters."
    "Oh yeah! Well... I look for what's underneath the apparent... that's why I'm the veteran and you're the rookie."
    Womack plays pass his sarcastic response, as an attempt to avoid conflict.

Tyrese could hardly wait to catch a red light. It was after eight o'clock p.m on a Friday and his favorite radio station always transforms from easy listening to rap city.
    "Finally a red light!" He says out loud and takes advantage of the opportunity and slides in a spoken word CD. When he quickly glances up to check if the light has turn green, he notices a police car in his rearview mirror. He thinks to himself,

"Hmmm... it's nice to see the Brentwood Hills Police Department has steady police patrolling the neighborhood."

Tyrese proceeds to drive down Brentwood Boulevard, then makes a right turn onto Wiltsie Drive. He observes as the police car turns also. As they tail closer, he realizes they are the same officers from Blockbusters. At that point, he decides to make another turn before assuming there is any need for concern. Again the officers turn as well. He begins to evaluate the situation,

"I wasn't speeding... I used my turn signals... I didn't run a red light... Hmmm... They're probably just doing their job, monitoring the neighborhood." He said to himself, "

Just as the words escape from his mouth, red and blue lights began flashing and siren screaming in short intervals. Without hesitation, Tyrese pulls over to the side of the road to allow the patrol car passage. However, they didn't pass, instead they pull behind him. Tyrese watches from his rearview mirror, wondering what the problem is, as the officers sat in the patrol car engaging in conversation.

"Why are we pulling him over?" Womack asked.
    "There is something about this guy."
    "The guy is coming from Blockbusters."
    Burnhardt snaps, "Womack why don't you shut up, listen and watch so you can learn something!"
    Annoyance begins to burn in Womack, however, again he douses it. Rationalizing Burnhardt's behavior with rumors of veteran officers coming down hard on rookies, trying to teach them the ropes. but his gut feeling is telling him otherwise...

feelin'it souldeep!
    Coco :heart:

copyrights┬ęcj

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    lovin this here very nice continue

3. cocobutterskyn

United States
    Ratings:
    +221
    Rich thanks for being a constant supporter of
    "everyone's" art.

you're truly a super moderator. :)

I'll drop more in a few days.

feelin'you souldeep

4. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    thank u now give me mo !!!!!!
    loving ya flow of stories

5. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1
    i liked this just shows the struggles of being a black man in America.
    much love,
    -story

P.S. looking forward to :read:ing some more

6. cocobutterskyn

United States
    Ratings:
    +221
    Story... Black men have many stuggles... (some)including with themselves.

Rich... Ask and you shall receive... part 2 has been posted. :)

Thank you both for your time and reply.
    It's appreciated... Bigtime!

7. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    most wlcome this story is tyte as part 2
    bring out 3 please loving the write

8. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    i am likin ya story...going to pt 2 now...

9. cocobutterskyn

United States
    Ratings:
    +221
    Mz...

Again forgive me. Thanks for taking time to read and respond.

Sir. Richness, I guess by this time you know pt 3 is likely not happening:)

MaddSistahlyLove!
    Coco:heart:

10. epiphany

epiphany Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +40
    bumped up...to pt. 2