Black Short Stories : Profiled...a black man's reality #2

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by cocobutterskyn, Nov 6, 2003.

1. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +221
    Profiled
    A Black Man's Reality #2​

Burnhardt orders Womack to run the license plate through the systems, then gets out the patrol car. Tyrese continues to watch from his rearview mirror as Burnhardt eases a long the side of his car... then taps his night stick on the window. He rolls down the window and greets Burnhardt,

"Good Evening Officer." Then inquires, "Is there a problem?"

Burnhardt sternly requests. "License and registration."

"Certainly officer." As Tyrese complies and reaches toward the glove compartment, Burnhardt quickly releases his gun from it's holster and aims directly at Tyrese's head.

"Hold it right there boy...! Keep your hands where I can see them."

Tyrese immediately does as he ask, placing his hands on the steering wheel he explains,

"Officer... please take it easy! I was only reaching for my registration... as you requested"

"Step out of the car... and do it slowly."

Witnessing the altercation Womack emerges from the patrol car.

"Burnhardt... everything alright?"

"Yes... just finish running that plate and get me the information. I can handle this."

"Are you sure?"

"Just do what I said Rookie!"

Womack returns to the patrol car and continues to observe the situation between Burnhardt and Tyrese, while he waits for the particulars on the plate.

Tyrese follows Burnhardt's instructions and slowly exits the car. Knowing he made no traffic violation to warrant this circumstance concerns him. Images of news reports on tv and in newspapers of blacks alleging racial profiling coast to coast, flashes in his head... awful details... some resulting in fatalities.

"No, no way... this is Brentwood Hills." He thought. "Not some inner city project community and I'm a Surgeon, not some street pharmacist or gun toting gang banger. This is some kind of misunderstanding." He dismisses the images from his mind and begins to give explanation,

"Of..fi..cer..." He reads from his name tag, "Burnhardt, I'm on my way home from a double shift at The Pleasant Hills Medical Center." Extending his hand, "My name is Dr. Morgan... Dr. Tyrese Morgan" He states, so Burnhardt is aware he isn't some thug, simply out passing the night, joy riding in a stolen car. Burnhardt over looks his hand.

"This ain't no social stop and I don't need you to tell me who you are. I'll find out exactly who you are and what you're up to."

Womack joins Burnhardt at Tyrese's car with his report on the plate.

"Nothing came up on the plate Burnhardt."

"Is that so, well that don't mean nothing." He continues to hold his gun on Tyrese.

"Take your left hand and with only your thumb and index finger remove your wallet from your pocket."

Tyrese carefully follows Burnhardt's command, he didn't want anymore misunderstandings.

"Alright, Womack take the wallet and get the license out."

"Tyrese Lamont Morgan. He's a resident of Brentwood Hills."

"What's that suppose to mean...?" He continues with another sarcastic remark, "We let him go without checking out our suspicions?"

Womack stands silently for a few seconds. However, it seems like hours to Tyrese, who waits with bated breath for the outcome of this ordeal.

"Burnhardt let me speak to you for a minute?"

"What is it Womack?"

"I'd like to speak with you... privately."

"Alright."

He orders Tyrese to turn around and put his hands on his head, then instructs Womack to handcuff him. Tyrese attentively watch as the officers exchange words, hoping the conversation will end this night before becoming a nightmare.

"What's this all about Burnhardt?"

"Get with the program Womack... I know you're BLACK too, but you have a job to do."

"What part of my job is this?"

"We have a male who fits the profile of a baller... so get over there... do your job and search the car!"

"I think you're wrong Burnhardt, dead wrong! I see a man who has plans to enjoy a movie."

Burnhardt closely approaches Womack and points his finger in his face.

"Look here Rookie! I've been on the force long enough to know what lies beneath the obvious. Now I'm not going to tell you again, DO YOUR **** JOB...!

"Excuse me officers, what is the problem? Have I fractured the law? You've held a gun on me... handcuffed me, please tell me something?" Tyrese demanded.

"Womack, search the glove compartment, he was reaching for it before he got out the car." In a loud upsetting tone, Tyrese informs Burnhardt again.

"I was reaching for my registration officer!"

"Everything’s clean here, just some mail, receipts and like he said... his registration."

"In that case... will you please remove these handcuffs!"

"Not so fast... turn around and face the car. Womack search his person."

Womack pats Tyrese down from the back, when he turns him around to search his front, Tyrese stares him straight in his eyes in an attempt to sense some sort of allegiance. He thought perhaps it could help ease the situation. He finds himself digging into his past for language he hadn't used in years. Softly he utters,

"Bruah, help a brutha out... wassup with this here?"

Womack advices, "Man just keep being patient, we're almost through."

From Womack's advice, Tyrese has no doubt something more is going on. As he stuggles with the reality of being racially profiled, he can nolonger maintain his composure. Irately, he begins to shout.

"Almost through! Almost through! Dammit! I own a home in this community. I'm not any ole black man, I'm a Physician... a Surgeon.." Burnhardt shoves him against the car, then strikes him across the back with his night stick.

"Shut up! I don't give a rat's *** who or what you say you are. Until I'm finished with you... you're a SUSPECT!"

Tyrese's body becomes weak from the overwhelming weight of his rude awakening. He falls limp upon the hood of his car, shaking his head, inconceivably he mumbles,

"This can't be happening... it can't be! I attended a prestigious university, a graduate of Harvard Medical School, I live in an upscale community... I'm a Surgeon dammit! I paid my dues... this isn't happening... it can't be... not to me!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~
    Our reality is...
    Altitude and Geography can't change the fact... we're black! Surely life will be more comfortable, but is that enough and how long will it last?

feelin'it souldeep!
    Coco :heart:

copyright© 2002cju

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    o'yes bring it on sistah pt.lll please
    this story is awesomeeeee tyte

3. Alkebulan

Alkebulan Well-Known Member MEMBER

slacker
    Ratings:
    +8
    hi cocoB

it's just as i suspected! u r much more than merely poetically sprung.

this reads like an xerpt from a novel f u ask me, but what do i kno. anyway, thanks 4 sharing this & i'm also looking 4ward 2 the rest of the story

4. alter

alter Well-Known Member MEMBER

insurrection
    Ratings:
    +0
    now that's...

..the REALLY REAL. sometimes you gotta break it on down for some fools, cause they get the impression that all that education and prestige actually means something outside of the halls of academia or whatever high-class position they may hold...you got an eye for detail, writer. i like your style, and will be reading more of your work, fuh sho'!

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes dis was very awesome and it was spoken nicely
    written smoothly

6. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    wow...this is so good...
    i am on every word...
    there is a part 3 coz i be
    waitin on it...much love..this is great..:angel1:

7. cocobutterskyn

United States
    Ratings:
    +221
    doctor parker... Yes, this is an excerpt. :)

Rich... you know how I feel :)

MBAngel... I'm glad you enjoyed the read.:)

Alter... I think we know one another...
    under different name tho aka SmoovVerbiage
    anyhow... Thanks for feelin' where I'm comin' from. :)
    btw... I enjoy your work

thanks writers for your time, opinion & love :grouphug:

feelin'it souldeep!
    Coco :heart:

8. sarcasm4eva

sarcasm4eva Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    tyte story....so sad....but true. much love to ya :)

9. ckei

ckei Member MEMBER

staying humble
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deep,

this would almost be sad if this was reality...wait...****...it is, ain't it? Everyday

peace

10. cocobutterskyn

United States
    Ratings:
    +221
    I must admit...

being punctual has never been one of my strongest attributes,
    but I heard some where that its better to come late than not
    to come at all.:)

Forgive me, I do appreciate you for reading and responding!

MaddSistahlyLove!
    Coco:heart: