Black Spirituality Religion : Profanity in the religion and spiritual forum.

PurpleMoons

REGISTERED MEMBER
Apr 22, 2003
Brothers and Sisters, It has been brought to my attention that the profanity used here is a bit excessive. I know I haven't said much about profanity and perhaps it is because I find myself blurting out obscenities at one point or another.

I have a question for my explicit family who use such words to express themsleves.

Does the use of profanity alters the growth of spirituality? When Moses presented the Creators 10 laws, thou shalt not curse was one of them. What do you think that actually means?

When it said, thou shalt not curse, do you think it meant to wish harm on another or do you think it meant the use of offensive words? which can be considered a form of blaspheme?

Profanity has such an ugly color to it when used. When you use profanity, does it make you feel like you took a step backwards from your spiritual growth? Or is it because we were programed to believe that such words are against the nature of the Creator, that we feel it to be obscene?

I want to hear your thoughts on this and to remind you that it may not be totally against Destee.com rules, but it is not encouraged here. Thats why many words are censored out. So please consider your choice of words before posting!

So tell me, Does the use of profanity alters ones spiritual growth? Lets discuss it!!!

In response

Though I'm christian I believe the Honorable Elijah Muhammad said it best. He said "profanity is man's inability to express himself verbally with intellegence". Though we laugh at the so called colorful language expressed by our comedians it takes true skill and intellegence to creatively express wit and humor without the vulgarity and abrasive language that has become common place. In a spirituality forum I believe it deminishes the spiritual knowledge and wisdom that is being shared. Furthermore it gives this website a blackeye when someone with spiritual wisdom ready to share visits in search of intellegent conversation and discussion. I was reading a post where a disagreement turned extremely ugly and the parties involved seemed to forget what forum they were in. If we want to curse and insult eachother there are plenty teen chat rooms where it seems like there are cursing contests going on. Though I'm not a moderator I am a premium member and very much enjoy my daily visits to this websites, so much so that I pay money to support it's existence. I enjoy the inspiration and stimulation I get from the various discussion that go on here. So in response to Purplemoons question no it is not an edifying practice to curse in a spirituality forum or in life period. I believe of all things one can do to promote spiritual growth, to eliminate curse words and vulgar language from our vocabulary is an achieveable goal we can master with relative ease on our road to spiritual maturity. Let us go forward in love, respect and dignity and not blimmish the knowledge.

With love for my family

Radical Faith

it's not a common ground to where people can just blast off with foul profanity
i agree with RF big time one shouldn't flip the lip here to me it's like standing
before the creator and curse and use profanity and surely we know this a sin
i am one to say it's sad very sad but i guess to many it's part of life to curse
to express , when a spiritually Religion person do come to read or share
the gospel / knowledge /wisdom and see this foul profanity they leave knowing
this so bad and wrong what kind of community is this it really need to be stopped
by whatever means for respect to the religion and spiritually minded members and
ones who visit .

[COLOR=Navy]Can I get some truthful comedy in here for a minute? The entire English language is a curse as quiet as it's kept...but just to take one through a short review of "what a word means and how WE TAKE IT", may reveal something about ourselves and the facts of the word itself.

Let's start with the "B" word...."the one that's defined as a female dog" according to the dictionary. I wonder if the same dictionary is going to tell us that the "B" word was a "DIVINE" NAME FOR A GODDESS before Europeans decided to put their definition on it? (INTERESTING TO SAY THE LEAST)

Lets look at the "F" word...."the one that we like to do at night and wish some people would do to themselves...yeah, that one. But did anyone tell us that the letters themselves were just acronyms for "Fornication Under Consent of the King? They just took off the capital letters to form what we now call a curse, but is it really when we understand, or are we once again following something ingrained in the minds of the lost?

Let us now look at the doo doo word, you know, the one that begins with an "S" and ends with a "T". Why didn't someone tell us it too was an acronym for Smelly Hot Intestinal Trash? But what happens when we take off the capital letters? We once again have what we now refer to as a curse, but is it really?

This list could go on and on, but the point to be taken here is this...for those of us who actually want to know WHAT A CURSE IS? I SUGGEST THAT WE READ "PSALMS 109". That is a curse I wouldn't wish on anyone!
[/COLOR]

The Psalms

A Cry for Vengeance
To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.

1 Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;
2 for the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me:

they have spoken against me with a lying tongue.
3 They compassed me about also with words of hatred;

and fought against me without a cause.
4 For my love they are my adversaries:

but I give myself unto prayer.
5 And they have rewarded me evil for good,

and hatred for my love.
6 Set thou a wicked man over him:

and let Satan stand at his right hand.
7 When he shall be judged, let him be condemned:

and let his prayer become sin.
8 Let his days be few;

and let another take his office. Acts 1.20
9 Let his children be fatherless,

and his wife a widow.
10 Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg:

let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
11 Let the extortioner catch all that he hath;

and let the strangers spoil his labor.
12 Let there be none to extend mercy unto him:

neither let there be any to favor his fatherless children.
13 Let his posterity be cut off;

and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
14 Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the LORD;

and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
15 Let them be before the LORD continually,

that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
16 Because that he remembered not to show mercy,

but persecuted the poor and needy man,
that he might even slay the broken in heart.
17 As he loved cursing,

so let it come unto him:
as he delighted not in blessing,
so let it be far from him.
18 As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment,

so let it come into his bowels like water,
and like oil into his bones.
19 Let it be unto him as the garment which covereth him,

and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually.
20 Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the LORD,

and of them that speak evil against my soul.
21 But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name's sake:

because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me.
22 For I am poor and needy,

and my heart is wounded within me.
23 I am gone like the shadow when it declineth:

I am tossed up and down as the locust.
24 My knees are weak through fasting;

and my flesh faileth of fatness.
25 I became also a reproach unto them:

when they looked upon me they shook their heads. Mt. 27.39 · Mk. 15.29
26 Help me, O LORD my God:

O save me according to thy mercy:
27 that they may know that this is thy hand;

that thou, LORD, hast done it.
28 Let them curse, but bless thou:

when they arise, let them be ashamed;
but let thy servant rejoice.
29 Let mine adversaries be clothed with shame;

and let them cover themselves with their own confusion, as with a mantle.
30 I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth;

yea, I will praise him among the multitude.
31 For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor,

to save him from those that condemn his soul.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back