Black People : Profanity in mainstream media

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Sista Steele, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Sista Steele

Sista Steele Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    Why is it that everytime you turn around, someone is cussing? It's in the music. It's on TV. The other day I was watching Bill Belamy's new show and they were saying "F*cking *****" but cutting the sound out. You could still read the lips to figure out what they were saying! I'ts crazy. They started off with "***" and "*****". It seems now they are pushing the envelope with small edits of more extreme cuss words. Our KIDS are exposed to way too much to soon. How is it that the media is able to do this? I can understand more discussion on sex because of AIDS/HIV but what is the explination for this increase use of profanity?

2. Sista Steele

Ratings:
    +1
    Kemestry, I'm not referring to cable. I'm talking about your standard NBC, CBS and ABC. Actually, Bill Belemys show is on FOX.

3. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with you Sista Steele, I remeber when I was in the 4th grade and if you called someone a liar you where in trouble. Now you can say anything. On David LaPell new show on comedy central he uses the 'N' word freely. There needs to be censorship but it will not happening because to change things now will cost money.

4. Sista Steele

Ratings:
    +1
    How will it cost money Nfant? What exactly do you mean?

What happened to change the airwaves and make it ok to say "*****" and "***"? Can someone please shed some light here?

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    it's all about the money & rates of a show so many take a liking
    to this and that's what makes money we need to boycott the
    shows and surely they will clean it up
    look at Jerry springer when his show moved to Fox they stop all
    the nakedness and crazy stuff yet his show was top coz people
    like crap like dat

simple..... we don't watch these type of shows
    and boycott them
    i never heard such words when i was coming up but now
    ya right our kids feed into all dis stuff today

6. Sista Steele

Ratings:
    +1
    I see that sex sells and understand the need (due to HIV/AIDS, etc.) for generating conversation about safe sex. I believe that parents have to maintain a certain level of censorship where their children are concerned and be held responsibile for what their children view/see/hear. But it seems like society is really pushing the envelope. Things become more acceptable and considered norm every year. Forget that, every month! I guess it's the way of the world that if someone does it and gets away with it, everyone else follows. Where are the boundaries and responsibilities for society?

If folks are able to say these "profanities" because they are listed in the dictonary where should the line be drawn on the level of exposure?

7. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    Sista Steele, you have more power and influence over your children than does society.

What i'm saying is if we give children over to the influences of society via of mass media (tv) instead of God and the protection from home, then we have something to worry about.

Times will definitely get worse. Teach and raise your seeds to change and influence society and those within it in a positive way and that will be the answer to our same questions.

with peace...

nfinite.............

8. Sista Steele

Ratings:
    +1
    Like I have always said, "It starts at the top".

Yes, our children are our future.

Thanks for your replies guys. :toast:

9. prometheusunbou

prometheusunbou Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    This is government at work my friends, if they can get us to abandon morality and God then they can control us.
    take the public school system for example, ever wonder why kids today are not as bright as opposed to 20 years
    ago? its because they are not teaching the same way any more. government is stupefying this generation
    in order to control it at a later date, take away knowledge and you have a dependent society.:) what's bad for the swarm is bad for the bee