Black Relationships : Pro-black & Interracial relationship... do they mix?

Originally Posted by panafrica
I left that out, thank you for pointing that out to me Akilah:

Light Skinned Black man + Light Skinned Black woman=Black child!

No being light skinned doesn't necessarily mean one has European heritage, because there are light skinned Africans (with no mixture). However to answer your question: Having a European great grandparent or great-great grandparent does not make someone ineligible to be pro-black. This is especially true because many African Americans which have such family "secrets" usually got their European blood as a result of a rape (not a voluntary relationship). In your own words, "it is who who you choose to produce children with that determines your "pro-blackness".

Lastly to address the off chance that an interracial couple is infertile....if they would have children with that person were it not phyically impossible, I'd say it is fair to not include them as someone who is pro-black. I hope that cleared things up for you.

Mostly cleared it up... but actually I was asking if your level of pro-blackness is determined by who you choose to have children w/ moreso than your actual genetic makeup ? And if that is the case, what about black folks who can't have children naturally ? Does not being able to contribute to the growth of the black population nullify you as being "pro-black" ? And also, can you give me any links to articles about light skinned african folk (w/o mixtures) ?

Thanks again !

Akilah said:
Mostly cleared it up... but actually I was asking if your level of pro-blackness is determined by who you choose to have children w/ moreso than your actual genetic makeup ? And if that is the case, what about black folks who can't have children naturally ? Does not being able to contribute to the growth of the black population nullify you as being "pro-black" ? And also, can you give me any links to articles about light skinned african folk (w/o mixtures) ?Thanks again !

One's genetic makeup does play a role yes. Obviously a person can not be pro-Black if they do not have Black/African blood. It should be a given that contributing to the black race through its continuation (marrying black and having black children) would be an essential element of pro-blackness. That some argue otherwise is truly mind boggling. However Akilah you actually ask a good question about black people who can't contribute to the growth of the black race because of infertility.

Of course a Black couple who can not have children could still be contributing to pro-blackness (if they wanted children I would encourage them to adopt some of the many orphaned black children, which you covered in the parenting forum). Although an interracial couple can not contribute to pro-blackness even if they are infertile. Again the goal of pro-blackness is the self determination and self sufficiency of the black community. In order words the improvement of the black community for its own benefit. The goal of pro-blackness has never been to integrate with the white community. The same can not be said about Civil Rights, which essentially has the goal of improving the black community to make it equal partners with the white community (in order to make its transition into the white community easier).

To further illustrate how an interracial couple can not contribue to pro-blackness, the dynamics of marriage need to be explored: In addition to the goal of having children (even more so because people can have children without marriage) marriage is a pooling of resources. I stated before that marriage is not just the joining of two people, it is the joining of two families....if those two families are from different communities (different races), then obviously it is the joining of two different communities as well. Obviously with an interracial couple the relationship itself is the first act of integration. However besides this, the assets brought into a marriage go to the benefit of the family in addition to the communities they belong to...the profits acquired within the marriage also go to the family, as well as the community they belong to. If the black partner in the relationship dies first, then their inheritance goes to their surviving spouse (who can choose not to spend it on their community) like it would any other relationship. In other words, a black person who is in an interracial marriage is supporting/contributing to their spouse's community/race because that is the natural dynamic of marriage.

Lastly about lightskinned Africans without mixture. I didn't mean to portray that there are Africans walking around looking like Vanessa Williams, who aren't mixed. However if you study and know African people, you'd see that every ethnic group does not have the same complexion. Not all Africans are "blue-black". There are African peoples like the Dinka of the Sudan and the Wolof of Senegal (a stunningly beautiful people I might add) who are known to be very dark. However there are African peoples like the Bubi (my wife's ethnic group) who are usually brown skin...the same complexion as most African Americans. The Igbo of Nigeria are usually brown skin, and I've encountered many who were light brown skinned (not light skinned). I have a personal friend from Kenya (I forget her ethnic group) who has no mixed blood, yet is only a few shades darker than I am. The point is that skin tone variations (ebon night to mahogany brown to light brown) are natural within the black race.

Akilah said:
Mostly cleared it up... but actually I was asking if your level of pro-blackness is determined by who you choose to have children w/ moreso than your actual genetic makeup ? And if that is the case, what about black folks who can't have children naturally ? Does not being able to contribute to the growth of the black population nullify you as being "pro-black" ? And also, can you give me any links to articles about light skinned african folk (w/o mixtures) ?

Thanks again !

It's not necessary to search for "light skin african folk", to find such results. There are many different ethnic groups and cultures on the continent of Africa. If you look in any book with pictures of african people, you will probably find some with light skin. Just last week I found such pictures of africans with lighter complexions (along with darker people) in a book about the country of Ethiopia. I wasn't searching for "light skinned african folk", but I found them anyway.

The whole issue of light/dark is more dominant here in the states, in Africa people have a whole lot more to base their heritage and lineage on. I think seeking light people out (to prove they exist) is unnecessary, but it can be easily done. :spin:

Sanaiah25 said:
It's not necessary to search for "light skin african folk", to find such results. There are many different ethnic groups and cultures on the continent of Africa. If you look in any book with pictures of african people, you will probably find some with light skin. Just last week I found such pictures of africans with lighter complexions (along with darker people) in a book about the country of Ethiopia. I wasn't searching for "light skinned african folk", but I found them anyway. The whole issue of light/dark is more dominant here in the states, in Africa people have a whole lot more to base their heritage and lineage on. I think seeking light people out (to prove they exist) is unnecessary, but it can be easily done. :spin:

Well said Sanaiah25! As I stated above skin tone variations (ebon night to mahogany brown to light brown) are natural within the black race. If anything this realization should make us appreciate the natural beauty and diversity of black people. However it also proves that complexion does not denote heritage (proven with the existance of darker biracials), and for this discussion it is heritage that is important.

i agree that IR is an integrationist statement. i disagree that integrationists are not pro black.
i spent a big chunk of my life as an integrationist who was committed to black advancement.

i am aware of the Beatrice foods situation. i used to party with the guys brother back in the day and i was very disappointed with the outcome.
they were good folks and i thought he was smarter than that. it is a lesson that every integrationist needs to learn.

what you are calling pro black is actually black separatist. i think it's the NOI position.
i agree that separation is the best policy right now and i have personally adopted that stance although maybe for different reasons than others.

where i disagree is defining other peoples thinking and commitment. i think it is a waste of time.
i'm interested in building with who ever wants to build and i will accept what ever contribution they can make.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back