Black People : Pro Black and Pro Feminist - an oxymoron?

Alexis36 said:
Can a Black man be both conscious/ pro black and also strongly believe in gender equality? - I am just finding that so many 'conscious' men seem to be against gender equality and anti-feminist. Any thoughts on this?

There is a difference between believing in gender equality and being a full supporter of the feminist movement. Many people feel that the feminist movement was reckless in setting male & females at odds with each other. However, there is no contradiction in being conscious/pro black and for gender equality. So the answer to your question is: No it isn't a oxymoron to be pro-black and for gender equality. I would consider myself both.

panafrica said:
There is a difference between believing in gender equality and being a full supporter of the feminist movement. Many people feel that the feminist movement was reckless in setting male & females at odds with each other. However, there is no contradiction in being conscious/pro black and for gender equality. So the answer to your question is: No it isn't a contradiction to be pro-black and for gender equality. I would consider myself both.

Thanks for your response. I'd like to clarify that when I use the term feminism, I use it in relation to Black women, not the feminist movement so I am talking about Black feminism. Therefore I think that one can be pro feminist/ support the ideals of feminism ie gender equality without supporting a particular feminist movement. I personally don't see how one can be against the concept of feminism (which could be defined as the promotion of gender equality) and support gender equality.

Addendum to original post

I got this reply from a brother from another forum which I would like people to consider before they reply. Thanks.

In regards to the stereotypical pro-black brother...those types of black men, similar to extremely religious men, follow a doctrine where the woman is the "supporter" not the "provider". Where as the pro-black brother sees his beautiful black sister as a woman to be loved, honored, cherished and respected... at the end of the day, there are certain things that they see as being expected of her, and there really are no ifs ands or buts about it.

This brother was basically saying that there were 'pro black' men who supported gender equality but he felt that the stereotypical or 'fiercely' pro black man (who might perhaps belong to an organization) followed a sort of doctrine which was in practice incompatible with gender equality. Any thoughts?

Alexis36 said:
I'd like to clarify that when I use the term feminism, I use it in relation to Black women, not the feminist movement so I am talking about Black feminism.

Sister Alexis ... Hello and Welcome ... :wave:

I must admit that i don't know a lot about the feminist movement, Black or otherwise.

What is the difference between "Black Feminism" and all others?

Thanks.

:heart:

Destee

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back