Jails / Prisons : "Prison Mentality"

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Mario D King, Oct 26, 2012.

?

Who is to blame

Poll closed Nov 2, 2012.
  1. The Environment

28.6%
  2. The School System

28.6%
  3. The Home Situation (1 parent homes, etc..)

57.1%
  4. The Media (Music, TV, Movies, etc...)

42.9%
  5. Lack of True Male Role Models

71.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mario D King

Mario D King Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +36
    My wife is a Middle School Teacher. The other day she told me that one of her students stated that he would rather go to Jail than High School. My wife asked the young man, "why"? He replied, "because all my friends probably go be there, no one can tell you what to do and the meals are free." My wife advised she reached out to the parents, but that passed it off as just "fooling around". Maybe that's true...But there are some of our young brothers out here that really think this way. It seems as if their developing this attitude at younger ages at an alarming rate.

My question is how did we get to this? Who is to blame? How can we fix the problem? I know it's a fully loaded question...Just want to spark a good convo.

Participate in the poll at the top of the page!!!

One Love,
    Mario D King

2. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    I almost want to vote "All of the Above" but if I had one choice (though I had multiple) it would be "Lack of a True Male Model."

A person of any race born in Japan would very likely know how to speak Japanese by the time he's 10.

Not only are so many bad and terrible examples of Black men in some Black Communities [terrible as in abusing children or participating in crime; bad as in being apathetic or afraid or contributing to our demise], but there are very few positive examples [as in organizing], and worse there's almost no examples of Pan-Africanist African people.

A Pan-Africanists amongst these areas had to climb, climb, climb. So it stands to reason why there are so few.

3. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503

" My wife advised she reached out to the parents, but that passed it off as just "fooling around". What if the children had mentioned to the teachers that they were smoking marijuana? would the parents react this way.SMH. This says a lot about the parents. The parents should have been talking to them about the large number of blacks within the prison system and encouraging them to remove themselves from this kind of defeatest attitude. These are supposed to be the future leaders of tomorrow. Well if this what is happening... this is the end for us as a people. Parents must instill in their children the importance of a good education. Who would want to be in prison with a Bachelors degree. Some parents are more stupid that the children they born. Joining of gangs etc seem to attract our young men...Something is wrong...the poll at the outset indicates some of the things that might contribute to this..but I believe it is of ALL of them. This whole mindset cannot be taken in isolation. The black family is crisis...but UNLESS people including parents see this it will get worse. Parents must show an interest in their children, spend time with them, take them on vacations...it does not have to be an overseas trip, just somewhere where the family can be together. Show them that they care. I read somewhere where two young boys under thirteen years drowned in a river around `1.30 a.m..in New Jersey. Tell me what young children at this age should be out and about at this time. Where were the parent(s) of these children. I know they are many single families...and maybe this is another part of the problem. Our children are our responsibilty. Only today I mentioned to a friend as we were discussing the issue of our young people in Barbados. I told him that when a child's life has been messed up with drugs..etc..it is not like a plant that you pull out of the ground and replant another one. I think parents need to get back to parenting and begin to see their children as their primary responsibility. We have to pull back our children from this negative mindset...something is wrong when children can feel that being in prison is preferable than being in the world where they are free to study, work etc. Do they know that they have to take orders in prison. Do they understand what freedom is all about.. Perhaps parents need to read with their children books on black history, slavert and books of great blacks who have achieved despite the odds. This is so sad.. I just don't what else to say.

4. Black-king

Black-king Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    I would like to ask you for your nationality? Because your questions do not sound like something a Black man would ask? Rather a white person mocking Black people and their situations.

5. dunwiddat

dunwiddat Well-Known Member MEMBER

Barbados
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    :eek::thinking:If you had a son would you like to hear him say he would prefer to go to jail, where noone can tell him what to do and he can eat free meals.

As a black man you seem very naive concerning issues which affect blacks in the USA. ...people like you have no interest in things that affect black folks.. All you seem to do is make statements and when someone disagrees you get hot under the collar....Should not people be concerned about this defeatest and negative attitude that is prevalent within the black society. Do you have a wife and are you a parent...as a black father you should be concerned. Why would the nationality of Mario D. King be of importance to the issue of young blacks. Living in denial is not going to help our black youths. Your thinking is just as bad as the young men....All I can do is SMH.
    You need to look at the real world where our young people are..you seem to me to be very much out of touch with reality..

A white person mocking blacks...Lol:lol::lol:

His wife is a teacher, she is concerned about the young people. She did not have to mention it to her husband, she could have ignored what they said, focus on her family and forget them...She saw a problem and tried to do something about it.. What will you do to help the black youths, Light a candle instead of cursing the dark.

6. Mario D King

Ratings:
    +36
    I totally agree. I was dumbfounded when my wife shared this information with me...It MUST start in the home. If these young kids parents continue to be passive rather than active in the most crucial part of their kids upbringing, the pre-teen years, then we will slowly become a dying breed. I pray and hope for the better...However it will take a village. I also want to shout out all the parents who are holding their kids down and planting seeds that will one day fertilize this world with good deeds.

Peace and Love,
    Mario D King

7. Mario D King

Ratings:
    +36
    Mr. Black-King...Check my pic...I'm African American. I'm 31 and to be honest, these "attitudes" was around even when I was in school. However these issues must be discussed in our communities. If we don't address the matter...Who will? Remember it takes a village. This is not to "Mock"...This is what is going on in our communities. Look at cities such as Chicago and Memphis...Mind you Memphis is my hometown. The mentality of some of our youth is very concerning...I enjoy thought prokoving conversations. I would like to hear more of your point of view's. What do you think the state of the Young Black Male is today? There are some outstanding young citizens who are representing us the right way, but there is another side...

Peace and Love,

Mario D King

8. Black-king

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    Alright then, let me answer your question the best way I know.

We got into this condition by sinning against our God, the so called Black men and women are the Chosen people of the Bible, they were given a set of rules to follow, but they forsake God laws, therefore we ended up where we are today in slavery in America.
    Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
    We have forsaken and forgotten the laws that God gave us, laws such as a manu must marry a woman if he sleeps with her. Woman don't get pregnant while you still live at your fathers house its a shame. Children obey your parents so that your days may prolong. Instead our people especially today decide to follow the ways and customs of this society. Where marriage is reduced to nothing but a burden while promoting sexual promiscuity in our community. The men become whore mongers and the women whores, there is no family structure in the Black households. You see them on the Maury show. That' s how it happened, most people want to do what they want and refuse to be accountable of the results. This is why sexual diseases and high rate abortions are rampant in the community. The Fear of God is not in our people.

We are to blame, especially us men, we are the leaders of our community . Our forefathers sinned, so we paid the consequences in slavery. Too many of us have yet to repent of their wicked ways and continue to live ungodly. Ungodly parents bring ungodly children, if the parents have no knowledge what can they teach their children. You need to know something for you to teach someone. Too many teenage mothers who has no clue what it means to be a mother are raising children, the fathers who are usually equally as young, run away from from his self imposed responsibilities. A child can't raise a child. This is the results of following the slave master philosophies of allowing young children to have boyfriends and girlfriends. That's whoredom, its a sin, a plague that is destroying our community. A man is not supposed to court a woman if he doesn't have his act together at least get his own place, a decent job, and are working on ways to improve himself. Therefore you shouldn't be surprised by the boy statement, he has nobody to teach him better, not his parents, not the church who is supposed to be the place to teach morality, he's got nobody. So therefore being a criminal is set on his mind, God forbid, if nobody intervenes and teach him better, he might be one to shoot people in his block and commit all type heinous crimes. that's the result of sinning and breaking God's law.
    Isaiah 3:12 As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths.

It's simple repent and start to follow the laws and commandments that our heavenly father gave us in the faith of Christ. If that child had a godly parents who was teaching him right, he would know that it's not for him to go to jail, and he would not be friends with ungodly children who have the wicked mindset. He would know have a fathe in his life instead runaway dad, who would set the example for him instead of dumb rappers on tv and movies. We have a role Model that is Christ, keep the laws in the faith of Christ, we will be able to save and protect our children from wicked thoughts like that, until then expect the worse.

9. Black-king

United States
    Ratings:
    +720
    My son would not say because I would teach better.

I have no idea of what you are talking about, next paragraph.

Let me answer that, I am helping them by telling Black women to stop carelessly sleeping with ungodly men and keep giving birth to these monsters. Get married to a man of understanding instead of sleeping around with every negro they come. Black stop being a whore mongers and stay away from hoodrats who just want to screw around and have no sense of responsibility. That's a good way to start.

10. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    Just as an aside, Caucasian or white is not a nationality. Nor is Black, Negro, Colored, African-American, et al.