Jails / Prisons : Prison and Black Manhood: Truths, Lies and Myths

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by oldsoul, Dec 12, 2004.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Prison and Black Manhood: Truths, Lies and Myths

Between 1972 and 1982, OldSoul was imprisoned in the following:
    U.S. Penitentiary Leavenworth, Kansas
    U.S. Penitentiary Marion, Illinois
    U.S. Federal Prison Terre Haute, Indiana
    Federal Correctional Institution Milan, Michigan
    Federal Metropolitan Correctional Center (MCC) Chicago, Illinois
    Cook County Jail Chicago, Illinois

Because of what I feel is a mis-placed glorification of jail and prison, and the belief that going to jail gives one ‘gangster’, ‘playa’ or ‘badass’ credentials, I will be doing a series of presentations on ‘Prison and Black Manhood: Truths, Lies and Myths’, exclusively at BLACKVOICECHAT.COM as part of the Consciousness Raising On-Line Class on Sundays, 3PM EST. The incarceration and subsequent ‘institutionalization’ of Black males is one of the most devastating programs to Black People in the USA and the Black World, yet hundreds of thousands of young Black males have been tricked into thinking its ‘cool’ to go there; they'd rather go to prison than go to church. Find out the whys and hows of this and more, beginning Sunday, December 12, 2004, 3PM EST, at BLACKVOICECHAT.COM.

2. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +162
    Sounds very interesting and enlightening, I just read a post here a few days ago where "prison clothes" is sadly...the latest fad. *smh*
    Never the less, I will be having my (newly released) nephew join in on class today. After serving 14 long years of prison time, just to come out and step into another "confined prison"

3. RunawaySlave

RunawaySlave Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking of Prisons

Old Soul I was reading about the One Prisoner, One Contact program spearheaded by Fred Hampton Jr. and the Prisoners of Conscience Committee, what they are doing is writing the hundreds of Political Prisoners in baby-london like Mumia, Jamil, and many others with the goal being to let them know they aren’t forgotten and to give thanks for the sacrifices many of them made and are making thru a letter writing campaign of Real Love it would be great if you and anyone interested got on board and joined this effort.