Black People : Presumptions/Assumptions

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by medusanegrita, Sep 20, 2010.

1. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    What assumptions (presumptions?) do you make right off the bat about people before you know anything more about them?

Ofcourse this is based on your own surroundings, experiences, values, how you grew up and all that - doesn't matter. But the presumptions we make about another person or group can be very telling, so I was wondering....

The ones I usually make are.....

1. That everyone over 30 has a child. If not, you're probaby sterile or suffering infertility.

2. That everyone over 40 has been married. Definitely if you're over 50.
    (unless you're gay)

3. That white people are racist or prejudice until otherwise proven not.

4. That all white people have money or have an easier chance to make money from somewhere or somebody and are not really poor. Poor white people are odd or look like an anomoly to me.

5. That all people are heterosexual unless said or proven otherwise.

6. That everyone over 25 has had sex.

7. That everyone is religious, mainly christian or a belief in christ.

8. That all gay men have anal sex.
    (the statistics says that only about 30% of gay men engage in that)

9. That black women with natural hair are 'conscious.'

these aren't the only ones I have made, but that's all I can think of now. May add later.

2. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    In NYC, there is every race, ethnic group, religion, and practically every nationality, income level and mindset

that any vistior can see just by riding the subway 2 or three days during the rush hour and 3 or 4 times during any weekend after 11 PM

To make it here and work in Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn for more then 10 years, one must either give up assumptions or learn from observation.

Doesn't mean that there is not prejudice still here,
    it is that folks personally choose that mindset,
    inspite of the obvious.

3. gogounited

gogounited Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +358
    "Poor white people are odd and look like an anomoly"

One of the things that helped me to break away from the institutionalized racism that pervades southern Texas, was being poor. It meant I lived alongside a lot of poor blacks, and as a child, I was innocent enough to see the unfairness, oppression and hate for what it was.

Derision and division is so easy, people are easily manipulated into competing with their neighbors, rather than uniting with them to create community and strength within that community. It's the same old story again and again. Divide and conquer.

4. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I know I can be bias and presumptuous and I'm perfectly cool with that. Some of it aint gonna change regardless of what I think I know to the contrary.

Many of my prejudices or presumptions are challenged tho, often not directly but through conversation and discussion such as this. None of my prejudices are set in stone, but they are filtered through what I feel, and my life experiences (which is very colored by being a black person in America and how I see or deal with that). Sometimes I drop 'em, most times they may be altered in some way, other times things just confirm what I thought I knew to begin with.

We do all make presumptions, have prejudices, have biases and I don't deny mine.... but I think the true test of that is are you open to being challenged and possibly changing or altering some where it seems fit to do so? If not, are you at least willing to note the exceptions, and realize those exceptions may happen a lot more often than you are willing to see?

Or are you so set in your presumptions and prejudices that they are[/I]set in stone, you won't budge from them, and you are always looking for the chance to have whatever and everything you think is true confirmed via outside experiences and sources instead of thinking things may actually be different than what you believe.

I'm pretty sure I'm more of the former, but I know I got a few that fit into the latter.