Black People Politics : President Obama should not be welcomed at March on Washington commemoration

RAPTOR

REGISTERED MEMBER
Sep 12, 2009
by Jared Ball
"Ajamu Baraka is a human rights defender whose experience spans three decades of domestic and international education and activism. Baraka is a veteran grassroots organizer whose roots are in the Black Liberation Movement, anti-apartheid and Central American solidarity struggles. He can be found online at ajamubaraka.com."
Listen to the discussion here: http://imixwhatilike.org/2013/08/20/ajamubaraka50mow/

by Ajamu Baraka

"On August 28, the 50th anniversary of the historic 1963 March on Washington, an event is being organized at the Lincoln Memorial by the King Center, Southern Christian Leadership Conference and the National Council of Negro Women to commemorate that extraordinary and consequential demonstration. To highlight the occasion, these organizations apparently extended an invitation to the President of the United States to deliver the keynote address on the very same spot where Martin Luther King delivered his legendary “I have a dream” speech.
The fact that Barack Obama will be standing in the shadow of Dr. King, his presence conveying the impression that he somehow represents the values and self-sacrificing lives of Dr. King, A. Philip Randolph, Bayard Rustin, Ella Baker, Rosa Parks and many of the thousands gathered that afternoon on the national mall, should be taken as an insult by everyone who has struggled and continues to struggle for human rights, peace and social justice." Read more: http://www.ajamubaraka.com/

an invitation to the President of the United States to deliver the keynote address on the very same spot where Martin Luther King delivered his legendary “I have a dream” speech.
The fact that Barack Obama will be standing in the shadow of Dr. King, his presence conveying the impression that he somehow represents the values and self-sacrificing lives of Dr. King, A. Philip Randolph, Bayard Rustin, Ella Baker, Rosa Parks and many of the thousands gathered that afternoon on the national mall, should be taken as an insult by everyone who has struggled and continues to struggle for human rights and social justice."

Those who took part in the March envisioned not only human rights and social justice, but the convener and organizer, Bayard Rustin, had as a focus ECONOMIC justice. People only "think" MLK organized the march. No, he was simply the keynote speaker - Rustin who always had as central to any mass agenda, jobs and economic rights, was the prime mover, shaker and architect of the march. With black unemployment twice the rate of white and NO plans, initiatives or relief in sight OR on the books, no way should the president be invited to speak at this 50th anniversary of people power!

The March on Washington was a Protest against social and economic justice, not a celebration of one black man getting a "good" job. That's all that Obama would represent - one black man achieving his dreams and ambition. A quarter of a million people did NOT march for that. The March was about the people, not one individual..... especially one in a position of power that can't deliver for black people. President Obama, as the ULTIMATE representative of the status quo, should be the LAST person invited to speak!

And if he were the last? They should cancel the March.

IMHO....it was the right thing to do.
Nothing would make the naysayers' happier than for the organizers and participate at the march deny their President the opportunity to speak on this.very prestige occasion. Martin and his crew would to it without a thought.

Bro. Raptor this is just my opinion. No need for debate..

IMHO....it was the right thing to do.
Nothing would make the naysayers' happier than for the organizers and participate at the march deny their President the opportunity to speak on this.very prestige occasion. Martin and his crew would to it without a thought.

Bro. Raptor this is just my opinion. No need for debate..

HoTeP butterfly#1,

No debate from me. Usually, when I post these articles, video clips and or links to audio discussions, I'm interested in folks sharing their thoughts as it pertains to issue/topic.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back