Brother AACOOLDRE : President Israel Net-A-Yahoo cites fictional Ester

AACOOLDRE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 26, 2001
Michigan
Occupation
Teacher
RE: Queen Esther is fictional
Yesterday I read in your newspaper with curiosity about a film about the biblical Esther being shown to Christian congregations. This story belongs in the section of novels intertwined with historical figures.
If I rewind to the book of Daniel 9:1 there’s an inaccurate report that Darius is the son of Xerxes when the reversal is true. Darius is the father of Xerxes and they were Persians not Medes. Darius father was Hystaspes, King of Persia.
Queen Esther is reputed to have saved countless Jews from elimination from Xerxes decree/edict and is celebrated by a pagan holiday called Purim or casting of lots. Xerxes was King from 486 BC to 465BC. The Greek historian Herodotus was born about 490 BC and reports no tails of Xerxes issuing out any edicts or the revoking of edicts calling for the assassination of all the Jewish people. This alleged decree was written in many languages and in all the provinces of King Xerxes (Esther 3:14). Now if we go back to Daniel we discover that edicts/decrees can’t be repealed/irrevocable (Dan 6:13). But Xerxes revoked his decree ( Esther 8:8) with his signet ring and no trace of either of those decrees were heard, found and reported on by Herodotus of this most significant event.
What we have here is a story being produced on film that’s clearly based on fiction. A brilliant Egyptologist by the name of Gary Greenberg sheds light on this novel story of Queen Esther. Greenberg book is titled 101 Myths of the Bible. Mordecai was a cousin and adopter to Esther and brought this orphaned girl to Xerxes during the Babylonian deportation in 587BC which would have made them too old and wrinkled during Xerxes reign of 486-465BC. There would have been no way Xerxes would have described this implied 100 year plus old woman as a young, beautiful centurion virgin to replace Vashti as queen (Esther 1:11 & 2:6).
The novel of Esther was about two literary motifs. One was about an ancient feuds between Babylonians and Elamites with the other a remixed motif being between King Saul and King Agag of the Amalekites. It had nothing to do originally with Jews in Persia. Haman a prime minister under Xerxes tries to persuade Xerxes to issue a edict to exterminate all of the Jews in his jurisdiction. The alleged edict last only temporary and Haman’s plot is turned on himself and is hanged by the same rope original designed for Mordecai.
The Players and Characters correspond to Motifs of:
1.Mordecai Marduk Babylonian god
2.Esther Ishtar Babylonian goddess
3.Haman Chief deity of Elam, Humman
4.Vashti Mushti, Elamite goddess
Interwoven between the novel of Marduk and Humman comes again the other motif based in part on the fights between King Saul and King Agag of the Amalekites
Mordecai plays the role of King Saul both from tribe of Benjaminite and trace Kish to their genealogy trees. See (1Sa 9:1 & Est 2:5)
Haman plays the role of King Agag. Haman by being an Agagite, a foe of the Jews (Est 8:1-3). This literary motif traces a fight between a Kish and an Agagite. Saul didn’t kill King Agag after his victory over him because he showed mercy. However Mordecai, through Esther, ignored the Agagite plea for mercy and killed him in the gallows.
In Book 9:109-112 of Herodotus works there is no mention of a queen Esther.Xerxes only named queen was Amestris. Xerxes passion and eyes was on his brothers wife Artaynte. There was a Royal Supper for the kings birthday where he granted Amestris her wish to mutilate Artaynte to end Xerxes passion for her. A novel story in Esther talks about a Banquet were Vashti refuses a royal order to attend wearing the royal crown. Because of Vashti insubordination Xerxes made an irrevocable order to dethrone her as queen and made Esther Queen (Est chap 1 and 2). Why didn’t Herodotus mention Vashti? Because she didn’t exist.
The story of Esther is in some chronological error. It misses the review of historians and is flawed to the point a reasonable doubt to its authenticity can be established. I believe the story is in part, (maybe), be based on Marduk and Ishtar recycled myths. Greenberg links the story to two motifs. I’m inclined to accept the first motif over the second but who knows, I wasn’t there, my opinion might not hold water. But until the theory spilled water with refutable facts I rest.
APPENDIX:
“There was in the stronghold of Susa a certain Jew named Mordecai, son of Jair, son of Shimei, son of Kish, a Benjaminite, who had been exiled from Jerusalem with the captives taken with Jeconiah, king of Judah, whom Nebuchadnezzar, king of Babylon had deported. He was foster father to Esther” (Esther 2:5-7). Nebuchadnezzar was King from 602BC to 562BC. He captured Jerusalem in 597BC and deported the Jews in 587 BC. Mordecai couldn’t not have brought the young virgin Esther to King Xerxes because his reign was between 486-465BC. In 539 BC, the Jews first messiah King Cyrus allowed the Jews to return back to their country.
Guided by the Holy Spirit –or merely plagiarism?
In the Old Testamentoriginal – theBook of Esther– a drunkenKing Ahasuerusmakes an offer to his dancing queen:

The author ofMark has a drunken King Herod offer a reward to his own exotic dancer:
"What is thy petition, queen Esther? and it shall be granted thee: and what is thy request? and it shall be performed, even to the half of the kingdom."
– Esther 7.2.

"Ask me for whatever you wish, and I will grant it. And he vowed to her, "Whatever you ask me, I will give you, even half of my kingdom."
– Mark 6,22,23.
In the original tale, the royal chamberlainHaman dies.

In Mark's copyJohn the Baptist dies!
References:
Herodotus Book 9
101 myths of the Bible By Gary Greenberg
Book of Esther and Daniel
Anthony, J. (2006, October 13).Return of the Biblical Epic. The
Jackson Citizen Patriot
p. B6

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back