Black People Politics : Pres Carter: Race Plays Role In Obama Dislike

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by LindaChavis, Sep 15, 2009.

1. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    From NBC's Mark Murray
    In an interview with NBC's Brian Williams, former Democratic President Jimmy Carter attributed much of the conservative opposition that President Obama is receiving to the issue of race.

"I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man," Carter said. "I live in the South, and I've seen the South come a long way, and I've seen the rest of the country that share the South's attitude toward minority groups at that time, particularly African Americans."

Carter continued, "And that racism inclination still exists. And I think it's bubbled up to the surface because of the belief among many white people, not just in the South but around the country, that African-Americans are not qualified to lead this great country. It's an abominable circumstance, and it grieves me and concerns me very deeply."

2. Putney Swope

Putney Swope Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +139
    Carter is suprised

that this is a racist nation?

When Blacks get hired to high positions since the times of reconstruction, and do everything that the dominant race wants, they wonder why they get chastized for good service.

When Obama escalated the Afgan war and covered for Cheney and Bush, torture war crimes,
    Cheney dawged the man ruthlessly

When he gave set asides to the HMOs that have fattened the coffers of the GOP for as long as they have been extorting the public, and did not implement universal health care, or a real public option, or even the single payer system,
    the GOP, used propaganda and lies to rile whites against him

When he refused to replace Glass Steagall, and made no laws to chasten financial criminals or just fire them like GM,
    they turned on him and dogged him then too.

In all due respect this is and will probably be for a long time a racist corporate run plutocracy, that used to be the United States of America and realy I would not want a child of mine to be president of this....this,,thing!

3. LindaChavis

LindaChavis Well-Known Member MEMBER

Car Sales Consultant
    Ratings:
    +147
    Im POSITIVE

Pres Carter is NOT surprised about racism in this country. And if all your going to do is complain about Pres Obama, dont post on my threads about him. Im all for the man and he is doing what he can. I like the fact he risked his life to do SOMETHING. Be about it...dont just talk.

4. Putney Swope

Ratings:
    +139
    I apologize for doing what American's have been doing since my ancestors were enslaved,
    criticizing the president

5. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    I don't remember the Carter administration, but I find it refreshing that he, a southern white man, can recognize truth when he witnesses it.

6. Nasheed

Nasheed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Otr Truck Driver
    Ratings:
    +168
    Ma'at Hetep

IMHO Carter jus told it like it was. Most of us know why these ppl are acting like this. I haven't seen this much blatant racism since the early 70's-80's. Obama is under constant attack and it shouldn't by his own ppl no matter what!

Ma'at Hetep

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
  8. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    gee massa jimmy us po ignorant colored folk would'nt neva thought of that sur if'n you in all yo white mercy hadn't not told us,thanks ya sur thanks ya....HEY JIMMY GO PLANT SOME PEANUTS AND STOP INSULTING OUR INTELLEGENCE.

9. Putney Swope

Ratings:
    +139
    What the president said about this

Obama disagrees with Jimmy Carter on race issue
    Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:49pm EDT
    By Steve Holland

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama's spokesman publicly disagreed with former President Jimmy Carter on Wednesday over Carter's contention that some conservative opposition to Obama is based on race.

"The president does not think it is based on the color of his skin," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters.

Carter injected race into Obama's struggle for a healthcare overhaul after South Carolina Republican Representative Joe Wilson shouted "You lie" at Obama during a healthcare speech in Congress last week and thousands of conservatives rallied opposition to Obama at demonstrations in Washington.

"I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man," Carter told NBC News.

He said this "racism inclination still exists. And I think it's bubbled up to the surface because of the belief among many white people, not just in the South but around the country, that African-Americans are not qualified to lead this great country. It's an abominable circumstance, and it grieves me and concerns me very deeply."

Carter's remark drew the condemnation of Michael Steele, the first African-American to become chairman of the Republican National Committee.

"President Carter is flat out wrong. This isn't about race. It is about policy," he said in a statement. "This is a pathetic distraction by Democrats to shift attention away from the president's wildly unpopular government-run healthcare plan that the American people simply oppose."

Obama, America's first black president, was steering clear of the issue, weeks after he injected himself into a debate about race in Massachusetts after black Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates was arrested at his own home on suspicion of breaking into it.

full article;
    http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE58F5NX20090916

10. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    president obama knows whats up and ol jimmy is right,isn't it sad that the repubs sent thier houseboy out to refute his statement.