Black People : Precious!!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldiesman, Nov 16, 2009.

1. oldiesman

oldiesman Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +120
    so what's up with this latest flick that's supposed to be[keeping it real???]but looks to me like just another flick aimed at showing us at our worst,most of us know someone like the girl in the film,of course hollywood in all thier glory felt like it's once again time to have a black play the nastiest meanest role of the day and then maybe they'll get an oscar[yeah having one of those has really done wonders for-hallie berry]but hey hollywood knows best and they need that black dollar,ummm heavy dark girl[well at least she's not a maid,three cheers for hollywood]...maybe it's just me but it seems that we can only get recognition for being-bad cops-sluts-bad mothers,heaven forbid that a role would come along for a black-ceo-lawyer-doctor,nah ain't nobody gonna pay to see that, we blacks aren't ready for those roles just yet,not when there are good ol low down nasty roles outthere and we gotta keep it real right?

2. Blaklioness

Blaklioness Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I have not seen this film nor do I know the background on its creator(s). So, I'm only going on what I've heard. I understood it to be the story of a young woman who was intensely abused, and therefore, as would be expected, grew to be dysfunctional in her thinking and actions (i.e. lack of self-respect and esteem). Again, since I don't know the origin of what spawned it, I'm not sure if it is autobiographical to some degree. Let's say for a moment that it is, and the creator/writer is telling her life story as part of the process of healing. If this is indeed the case, how do we distinguish a person taking back her power/voice and healing from simply another sick Hollywood attempt to cast us in a bad light?

3. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Spike Lee's movie Bamboozled
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMZ6zp-3oGYhas proven to be a prophecy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    cemotap.ning.com/

Precious was based on a novel called "Push" by Saphire

Top Dog/Underdog
    by Suzan-Lori Parks, was a derogatory "coon show" play on broadway that the critics also raved about

WHERE ARE THE NEW ED BULLINS, VAN PEEBLES??
    WHERE ARE THE NEW AMIRI BARAKAS?
    WHERE ARE THE NEW BARBARA ANN TEERS OR DOUGLAS TURNER WARDS???

OR EVEN A NEW OSCAR MICHAUXS??????????????????

4. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Ankhur...did you read the novel? Novels are fiction I know, but much of what is fiction is also very autobiographical in nature....is this the case? Was the author telling her own story? I'm asking to get more information because I've neither read the book nor seen the movie. What I know of the movie was told to me by someone who saw it. He indicated that there was some truth but that it was also tainted by the stereotypical Hollywood imagery of the pathetic, downtrodden Black person who gets saved by the white/nonblack 'hero'. I have a problem with that kind of BS and the deliberate spreading of other negative messages and misconceptions, but I don't have a problem when someone is telling his or her story..long as it's based in truth. Again, we have to be careful while in our effort to thwart enemy attacks that we don't inadvertently stifle someone's efforts to genuinely heal. Our story is not all glamor---collectively and individually there is a substantial amount of psychological damage that needs to be addressed. Where is the balance here?

5. decipherx1

decipherx1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +379
    How Original smh...

Sorry but I just ain't feeling this movie.
    I don't need to see it because it's the same **** story
    all over again! A Fat lazy Mother on welfare w/ a no good man
    and a Pregnant teen ager WOW, how original.
    I know writers that cannot get a DIME for thier idea because they don't have the Oprah Winfrey's and Tyler Perry's backing them up, beacuse they thrive off of the same ole'
    stories such as these. These things happened in ALL RACES,
    but it seems we are the only race of people that live for these type of flicks.
    Tyler Perry has a studio lot, --the only Black man ever to have one,
    Oprey Winfrey is the richest Black women in America, and this is the best Story that they can find to produce? How many times are we going to tell this story? What about our history, the DR's Scientist, Kings, Queens, Ruler of nations , where are these movies? smh.. this is no disrepect to the writers of the movies or to the actors, but I'm sick to death of the same ole story lines such as these. We are never going to move ahead artistically if we keep running into the ground the same ole story lines. Enough is Enough already.
    Oprah herself said: This is like the Color Purple---No surprise there because, she loves that Black man Victimizing the Black women storyline.
    I will say this for Tyler Perry: HE wants to stop playing Madea -but- people keep BEGGING him(Not White but Black people) to continue to play that role.
    WTF? who can we REALLY blame for the same ole sterotypical roles like this,
    Hollywood or some of us paying to see this stuff over and over again.:10500:

6. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    Every Black person in this nation, knows that this goes on

But young sisters like this and mothers with problems need to see some uplifting images wether folks are writing that or not, rather then see on the big screen the same message they see on the television,"you ain't ****, and that heals no one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Thank you so much for your comments. I so appreciate this. Just where is the balance? How do we deal with the truth versus exploitation.

I think it is so unfair to exploit us like this on the big screen but, how do we deal with this.

They knew these kinds of problems existed in our communities but now I wonder, if all of a sudden a beautiful African American woman is elevated as our First Lady and now they want to bring this kind of stuff out to degrade us. This must problem of abuse needs to be addressed sooner or later but, their timing is so obvious it seems to me.

8. Ankhur

Ratings:
    +3,014
    You know you do have a point there, Barack obama may not be perfect but he is Black and "they"
    have been thrusting those derogatory images oF Black folks on TV , radio, and movies since he was campaigning and escalating to this day,
    and we all know how much Hollywood fears the positive image of the Black First Lady.

On POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    I have no doubts whatsoever about the images being put out regarding Black people. They are definitely geared toward pushing negative messages. The attacks on us are no longer subtle. I can't judge or defend "Precious" completely, as I haven't seen it; I just wanted to know if people are interpreting the difference between fighting Hollywood and fighting ourselves.

10. Blaklioness

Ratings:
    +1,812
    Ankhur....that term 'uplifting' is used as a contrast of sorts, so that folks see what it is like to CONQUER demons once and for all. Attempting to hide them doesn't work...they MUST be destroyed; that doesn't generally happen unless they are exposed. We need to see US understanding the evolution of those demons, US conquering those demons (for ourselves and each other) and US telling the stories on how those processes take place. Can you tell me what specific films you've seen accomplish this?