Black Relationships : Pre nuptual agreements

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by kente417mojo, Nov 23, 2004.

1. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    Would you ever marry someone without one? Why? I have a friend that is getting married but his wife has a problem signing a Pre nuptual agreement and he wonders if he should go through with it. Why is that? If she's not after any money then why not sign away? She says that it makes it (the marriage) seem less permanent by signing one. My question is, why do some women have a problem with it? Why would a man marry a woman without signing one? Is it a bad thing to sign a document that protects you financially just in case, especially when the divorce rate it through the roof. :tongue3:

2. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    I don't see why regular people would want one, by regular I mean the middle class. The state I live in is no-fault anyway, that means only child support, everything gets split down the middle.

Now if one person is rich, then I can see why they'd want to protect themselves from loosing a lot of money in case of a short marriage. Jennifer Lopez 2nd husband took her for a fortune after less than a year, that isn't fair.

I'm married and have been for 15 years, but if I were single and considering marrying a wealthy man I wouldn't have a problem signing one. I understand the reasons behind them.

3. IntuitioninMD

IntuitioninMD Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    I agree... with them

I am a woman. I would not have a problem signing a pre nup as long as the man takes care of all of the monthly expenses and gives me an allowance. Every year I should also get a percentage of his net worth and assets. The only items that could break the pre nup is if he cheats on me or abuses me.

4. Emeka

Emeka Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Why can't he recieve an "allowance" from you, and a "precentage" of your "net worth and assets"?

5. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15

If you are a middle class man who worked hard to get a house, and start a nice IRA...you have GREAT reason to have a pre-nup. That house would be hers and he'd be living in an apartment if they ever divorced. It's not like it's easy to get a house and pay it off nowadays. It's not always about wealth, but about protecting what you had before you entered the marriage.

Personally, I would sign one if asked. I may even ask him to sign one...don't want to lose my house either.

6. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    personally i don't see me doing that but understand why men would want one
    but as well women are financially set and may want it too but i think if you go
    in working together / sharing and heart filled with love and support u don't need
    this with communication and understanding , faithfulness to me a pre-nup is
    when you not sure of your mate or you feel they are only after what you have
    if i would feel this way i won't get married in the first place, it tells me that again
    money will be the root to evil and not partnership as lovers soulfully but it's an
    agreement today that many will take to safe gaurd there royalities and land .

7. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    You know Rich, I think of it that way too, like one mate doesn't really trust the other, and what does that say about the relationship? But it's a new day I guess and folks feel better safe than sorry. When my ex and I married, we were both young, and neither one of us had anything, lol. So, the concept is still a new one for me. Interesting comments.

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    well everybody see it today totally different
    but i see it with that it say the untrust of a lover
    but you right better safe then sorry in today's love game

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I'm divided on the issue. On the one hand I view pre nuptuals as lack of faith in the marriage...a indication that one or both parties don't have total commitment (if you are thinking about the end, will you really fight to keep it going). On the other hand people today make so many poor choices in who they "jump the broom" with, and divorces are so common, that I guess people have to prepare themselves for this eventuality.

10. IntuitioninMD

IntuitioninMD Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    ONLY IN THE BLACK RACE.... THIS HAPPENS -- FUTURE PIMPS AND PROSTITUTES

It is upsetting to see and know... that only amongst our Black people is where you will find a basic confusion as to which roles men and women are to display in relationships. ONly in the Black Race you will find a culture of "PIMPS and PROSTITUTES"

A PIMP - takes the money for the work the woman did.
    A Prostitute - a person that takes money in exchange for sex.

Black people deciding to get married is always commendable... :)

Now....

IN EVERY OTHER CULTURE... THE MEN KNOW HOW TO CLEARLY TAKE CARE OF THEIR WOMEN. MOST OF THE MEN WORK AND THE WOMEN (THEIR WIVES) STAY AT HOME WITH THE KIDS. That is why thier kids get to advance more than blacks on average... because they know and understand the equation that works.

Even with very successful women... if they decided to have kids.... their husbands offer... "honey - you can stay home... I will take care of the family - like I am suppose to do " Black people do not understand that simple equation...... WOMEN... ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO TAKE CARE OF MEN... AT ALL...

MEN ARE SUPPOSE TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR WIVES.

FOR THIS... REASON.. ALONE... I KNOW.. THAT MOSTLY... I MIGHT NOT END UP WITH A BROTHER.

I am a successful sister... that makes it a requirement not to date men that make less money than I do. Do not date men... that have not invested in a house. Do not date men... that do not take care of their children. I tell everyone... I AM A MOTHER FIRST AND A BUSINESS WOMAN SECOND....

I was really in love with this guy that lied about his accomplishments... just so he could convince me that he is still an option for me.....

Well 3 years later - still without a committment... I found out... via internet research.. that this guy was a fake.

The house that he said.. he bought.. is a lie... he is renting.. it... He lied to me... because I have my own home and my own accomplishments... and I refuse to ever set myself up to take care of a man.

Women want to be loved and Men want to be respected. Most REAL women cannot respect a man that she has to take care of... IT IS JUST THAT SIMPLE..... MOST MEN ... KNOW THAT IT WILL MAKE THEM FEEL LESS THAN A MAN... LIVING OFF OF A WOMAN....

The state of Black America - scares me... because our people do not understand the basics. Men and women have physical differences... --- RIGHT!!! Men and women also have emotional differences... -- TOO! and Men and women have ROLE differences in marriages TOO!

We now have a culture that is based on PIMPS and PROSTITUTES.