Black People : Pray For The Babies: Help Save Our Children-!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by chuck, May 22, 2010.

1. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    By Kathleen Gray and NAOMI R. PATTON

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

Aiyana's funeral procession entered Trinity Cemetery on the city's east side just before 3 p.m.

Once inside nearly 300 people gathered around her small white casket to pay their final respects.

Her father, Charles Jones, looked stricken, staring down in disbelief. Her grandmother, Mertilla Jones, appeared drained.

The Rev. Horace Sheffield said a few words and gave a brief prayer. Then Mertilla Jones released a single dove in Aiyana's memory. Aiyana's parents, Charles Jones and Dominika Stanley, released another dove to more cheers and applause.

Neither Fieger nor Sharpton attended the internment.

Various politicians, including Detroit Councilwoman Saunteel Jenkins and State Rep. Burt Johnson attended the funeral.

Councilman James Tate said he attended because he's a human being before a politician.

"I have compassion for any parent who loses their child, especially in this type of situation," he said. "And as an elected official it was important for me to represent the citizens of this city in light of this tragedy."

"I have compassion for any parent who loses their child, especially in this type of situation," he said. "And as an elected official, it was important for me to represent the citizens of this city in light of this tragedy."

Rev. Al Sharpton challenged Detroiters to throw away their dope, put down their guns, quit disrespecting women, "All in Aiyana's name. I promise you Aiyana, we're going to change our ways."

In a spirited eulogy full of emotion, Sharpton said, he wasn't there to cast blame.

"I know what desperation is," he said. "But don't give up. When it gets rougher, you get tougher. Don't rise up and turn on each other. We've got to go and deal with the violence in our community."

He did have questions, though, about the actions of police.

"Do they throw these flash grenades in everybody's neighborhoods? Would you have gone in Bloomfield Hills and did what you did?" he asked. "Have you ever heard of putting on a light and calling people to come out. Are warnings against procedure?"

But he had as many questions for black men who have babies with no intention of raising them. And for people who question why nothing is being done, but won't get involved to solve problems.

He said he didn't come to yell at the police chief or get into an argument with the state's Attorney General, Mike Cox, who said he was disgusted that Sharpton was coming to town for the funeral.

"Well I'm disgusted that I have to do a eulogy. I'm disgusted that we keep having to come back," he said. "I'm disgusted when I look at 7-year-old in a casket."

A steady stream of mourners quietly filed past the small coffin this morning that holds Aiyana Stanley-Jones, the 7-year-old Detroit girl killed early Sunday morning as members of Detroit Police Department’s special response unit raided the house where she slept, looking for a suspected murderer.

Wearing a silky pink skirt and jacket with white socks and sparkly pink shoes, Aiyana held a pink rosary entwined in her fingers and a pair of small glasses.

She was flanked by floral arrangements shaped like a heart from her mother and father and an angel. There was also a collage of notes from friends, a pencil drawing of the young girl and a huge vase of flowers including pink roses from the law firm of Geoffrey Fieger, which is representing Aiyana’s family in a lawsuit against the Detroit Police Department.

About a half hour before the funeral was scheduled to start, Rev. Horace Sheffield of the Second Ebenezer Church quietly recited Psalm 23:

“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for You are with me.”

Already in the church are U.S. Rep. John Conyers, Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano, Rev. Al Sharpton and Fieger.

Detroit City Council members, Pro Tem Gary Brown, JoAnn Watson, Andre Spivey and James Tate were among elected officials who stood when Sheffield announced them.

The family arrived just before 10:30 a.m. Sharpton, Sheffield, Conyers, Fieger and Ficano met them at the door.

Many of the family members wore pink to honor Aiyana. Pictures of Aiyana that were printed in the funeral program were shown in a montage on monitors outside the church sanctuary as mourners entered.

"Princess Aiyana" as an infant and toddler.

"Princess Yana" in pair of light pink framed glasses.

"Yana Momma" in a Hannah Montana shirt.

Aiyana's kindergarten graduation certificate.

After the family spent a few minutes with Aiyana, Sheffield closed the white casket and asked God to help the congregation to lift up the good in each other.

“We know how to deal with death, but help us learn how to live today,” he said. “There will be peace on earth when young folk will work together.”

He also said there is a role for the government to come in help the city heal.

“If they can spend money in Iraq, than the government should spend some money on Mack,” Sheffield said, referring to the Detroit road that runs through the city. “I’m asking President Obama to come here and help us rebuild our city … and then let us figure out how to handle each other and respond in peaceful ways.

“We’ve got to stop killing each other.”

Fieger, who is representing Aiyana’s family, told the 1,000 or so people attending the funeral that they need to seek justice for Aiyana.

“Aiyana has paid for a justice that will save the lives of other children,” he said. “She has paid that price and now we must pledge to get justice for her so she can rest in peace.”

He said it’s normal for the mourners to be filled with fear because of the rampant violence in the city.

“But it’s a fear that can cause us to become bitter and vengeful. And that can lead to more violence unless we are vigilant. It’s a fear compounded by the sense of betrayal by the very people we trust to protect us,” he said.

“But fear and anger are a poison that kills the soul,” he added. “We must rebuke fear and violence. Faith is the only antidote.”

Fieger mentioned Dr. Martin Luther King at the beginning his remarks, and then borrowed from the eulogy King gave at the funeral of the four little girls killed in the Birmingham bombing when he repeatedly told mourners Aiyana "would have something to say to all of us," and, specifically, to Chief Warren Evans and federal officials monitoring the Detroit Police Department.

Then King told mourners the girls would "have something to say to each of us . . . would have something to say to every politician who has fed his constituents with the stale bread of hatred and the spoiled meat of racism."

Ron Scott, with the Detroit Coalition Against Police Brutality, was at the funeral, and said he was there to be supportive to the family and to the city "long after the great sermons have been done and long after the rhetoric has ended."

"This is part of our continuing struggle . . . to deal with the policies that lead to this death," Scott said. "We're going after a fundamental change in this policy."

2. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    My call out is just that:

The article writers did not and do not endorse it!

As least not so far?

But-- maybe later on-- they will!

:em0200:

3. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    I thought god wanted kids to suffer?

Was her guardian angel on break?

Isn't she going to a better place? Then why is everyone so glum?

I'm not being facetious. I'm just going on what I heard/read/saw when it comes to things like this. Don't kill the messenger.

4. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    And no one is saying, "Never again!" about a blatant act of terrorism??????????

5. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Al gave the eulogy

Jesse might not have shown up at the funeral...

Applause to the first...

Ain't mad at the second...

But what next, former D Town neighbors?

Also, thank you very much for your prayers, etc., destee posters...

:10200:

6. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Wrong answer(s)!

Right answer(s)?

"I'm in support of whatever you black detroiters need and want to do to gain justice for both victims of violence!"

:em0200:

7. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Chuck:

Do remember what the local black minister also said...

And, can I get an 'amen' to that, brother?

Holla holla...

:fyi: