Black Christians : Praise -v- Worship

Discussion in 'Christian Study Group' started by cherryblossom, May 26, 2013.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    There is a difference between Praising the Lord and Worshiping Him.

Lets take the subject of Praise:

Ps 9:11
    Sing praises to the Lord, which dwelleth in Zion: declare among the people his doings.

Ps 33:2
    Praise the Lord with harp, sing unto him with the psaltery and an instrument of ten strings.

Is 42:12
    Let them give glory unto the Lord, and declare his praise in the islands.

Heb 13:15
    By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, this is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to his name.

According to the above, Praise consists of song, music, words, and we are to do this consistently, even when it is a sacrifice.

At times, when we’re having a rough time it can indeed be difficult to rejoice in what is taking place. But as we study the word of God, we know that everything is happening for a reason and that reason is for our growth and the Lord’s glory! (Rom 8:28)

According to the Word of God, the Lord inhabits the praises of His children.

Ps 22:3
    But thou art holy, o holy that inhabitest the praises of Israel.

Wow what a promise! When we offer praises to the Lord, His spirit fills each word and His power goes forth. See this next verse:

2 Chr 20:22
    And when they began to sing and to praise, the Lord set ambushments against the children of Ammon, Moab, and mount Seir, which were come against Judah; and they were smitten.

These armies being stopped by the Lord, are pointing us in the direction of the enemy as he sets traps for us. As we praise the Lord we will walk in His power and protection.

Lets take a look at Worship:

1 Chr 16:29
    Give unto the Lord the glory due unto his name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the Lord our maker.

Ps 95:6
    O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the Lord our maker.

Ps 96:9
    O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth.

According to this, worship is not singing and such; but it is an action taken in acknowledging the Lord as our LORD.

According to the Greek dictionary:
    Praise (aineo) to speak in praise of, to praise.
    Praise (humneo) “to sing, to laud, sing to the praise of”
    Praise (exomologeo) “will I give praise”; “I will confess”.

Worship (proskuneo) “to make obeisance, do reverence to” used as of an act of homage or reverence to God.

Worship (latreuo) “to serve, to render religious service or homage”; to worship (by the Spirit of God) “to worship (God in Spirit).

Worship goes beyond praise; it is an act of bowing down and honoring the Lord God. Worship is also an act, for example in our daily work: we serve others as a way of worshiping the Lord. Our very life should be an act of worship.

There have been many times, while ministering on a one to one that the person would continue speaking words of praise. The Holy Spirit would tell me to instruct them to be silent and drink in His Spirit, allowing the Holiness of God to bathe them. There is a time to be silent before the Lord. We often think we must continue to speak His praises in order to show we adore Him; but not so.

..We need to be bold in our praises as well as our worship; not allowing man to rob us of our blessings. There are times we hesitate to raise our hands to the Lord out of embarrassment; well that’s a silly and dangerous thing to do. He tells us if we deny Him before men He will deny us before His father.

...... http://www.abbalovesus.com/PraisevsWorship.html

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Praise vs. Worship

March 15, 2010 by Jonathan
    .....The way praise and worship are used interchangeably in the church today makes it even more confusing, so that an average believer do not know what true worship really is and how it differs from praise.
    Praise and worship are two different spiritual activities that are done at two different spiritual frequencies. If I have to define praise I will simply define praise as talking well about God. Saying great things about God as a result of what we see Him do or what He has done in our lives or as a result of the undeniable proofs of His existence. If you have a president that is impressive, who has done so many good things for the people, you will find your self talking well of him and as a result praising him before other people without knowing who the president is personally or without having him present. Not only the president, we have all one time or the other praise or talk well about some one like uncle, auntie, father, mother, friend or boss at work who have done some good things for by talking well about them to others.
    Praise is away a man describe the greatness of God and the awesomeness of His deeds. When we look at creation and all the work of His hands we most of the time begins to imagine the greatness of our God and also as a result of what He has done in our lives. When we do this we praise Him. Whether He hears the praise or not is a big question which the answer is determined by how far or close we are to Him whom we praise. From this explanation of what praise is, it is evident that any one can praise God, saved or yet to be saved, just or unjust. The bible says let everything that has breathe praise Him (see Psalm 150:6). Even the heavens and the earth and everything in them praise Him (see Psalm 69:34). And the bible says;
    “…let all the people praise Him…”
    Psalm 67:3
    All the people mean both the churched and the un-churched. Because God is good to all and loves humanity alike, the scripture says
    “For He makes sun to rise on the evil and the good, and
    sent rain on the just and the unjust”.
    Matthew 5:45
    It is also obvious that one does not have to be close to God or even born again to talk about God or praise Him because God does not have to be present to be praised. God wants something more than praise from us especially we that are saved. It is so heartbreaking to know that most of our gatherings today are filled with praisers who will only mention the name of the Lord in praise when he does something good for them and will remember to pray the next time they are in trouble.
    In the Old Testament praise is prevalent and less mentioned of worship because that was the best man could offer to God because sin that separated us from God had not yet been dealt with. The few attempts to worship were followed by a lot of sacrifices of blood to cover sin and to bring us closer to Him which was never enough. Because of God’s quest for more than praise and more of intimate worship he sent His son Jesus Christ to earth and when the ultimate sacrifice was made and complete, the veil that separated between the outer court and the holy of holies where god dwell was rend, telling us to now come in, but sad enough many of us are still at the outer court, the place of praise.
    God wants us to come pass the outer court into His presence, the holy of holies, our original place, that was why Jesus came.
    In Matthew 20:16, the bible says
    “Many are called but few are chosen.”
    In other words, many are praisers but few are worshipers, what a lamentation by God himself. We must choose this day to come beyond the place of praise into His presence for that is God’s quest.
    Now do not get this wrong, praise is comely, powerful and of great virtue, in fact, praise opens the gate to God’s outer court, the bible says;
    “Enter his gate with thanksgiving and into
    His court with praise.”
    Psalm 100:4
    If we want God’s gate of heavenly blessing to be continually opened towards us we must praise the Lord at all times as David said in Psalm 119:164. Like we said earlier, we were created to show forth His praise as David said in Psalm 148:1-14 and psalm 67 vs. 3. Praise is for all the people both saved and unsaved. God deeply desires for His people who are called by His name, saved by the blood of Jesus Christ like you and I to come beyond the place of praise to the place of intimate worship.

http://gloriouspraiseministry.com/praise-vs-worship/

3. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Difference Between Praise & Worship (TD Jakes)

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 12:27:26 PM
    Half of the things that pass for worship are not really worship in the church, because if real worship hits the church, the musicians cant play, the ushers can’t usher, the Deacons can’t be Deacons. It’s something that you do out of your belly, out of your heart, out of your spirit.

The difference between praise and worship: Anybody can praise God; in fact everybody ought to praise God. The bible says let everything that has breath praise the Lord. Anybody can praise God because when you praise God you start praising "Lord I thank You for giving me shoes, I thank You for giving me a suit, I thank You for how You gave me my job, I thank You for how You blessed me with a car, I thank You for how You brought me through college, I thank You for how You helped me in my career. All of that is Praise, praise thanks God for what He did.

The praiser is thanking God for his shoes, the worshiper says if I don’t have no shoes, if I don’t have no car, if I don’t have any house, if I never get anything, I worship You for who You are, I worship You because You are God, You don’t have to perform, You don’t have to impress me, You don’t have to play Santa Claus but just because You are God, You mean so much to me, I’ll tear up my face and cry, I’ll mess up my make-up and cry, ill shag down my hair and cry, oh You are so valuable, your presence is valuable, your love is valuable, your peace is valuable. I just wanna be alone so I can worship you…

http://my.opera.com/Mthoee/blog/2011/04/12/difference-between-praise-worship-td-jakes

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    ...A Call to True Worship

Psalms 8:1 O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens.

Psalms 29:2 Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness.

Psalms 95:6 Oh come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the LORD, our Maker!

Psalms 99:5 Exalt the LORD our God; worship at his footstool! Holy is he!

John 4:21-24 Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe me, the hour is coming when neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem will you worship the Father. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews. But the hour is coming, and is now here, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for the Father is seeking such people to worship him. God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.”
    Reasons for Worship

Deuteronomy 12:5-7 But you shall seek the place that the LORD your God will choose out of all your tribes to put his name and make his habitation there. There you shall go, and there you shall bring your burnt offerings and your sacrifices, your tithes and the contribution that you present, your vow offerings, your freewill offerings, and the firstborn of your herd and of your flock. And there you shall eat before the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your households, in all that you undertake, in which the LORD your God has blessed you.

Philippians 2:9-11 Therefore God has highly exalted him [Jesus] and bestowed on him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

James 4:8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you…

Revelation 5:9 And they sang a new song, saying, “Worthy are you to take the scroll and to open its seals, for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation,

Revelation 4:11 “Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.”

Read more: http://www.whatchristianswanttoknow.com/20-encouraging-bible-verses-about-worship/#ixzz2UQs1VQlV

5. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
  6. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    .....Worship, if I had to come up with a basic definition, is properly acknowledging who God is. For starters, I just want to focus on his holiness. God’s holiness is the one thing that separates us from him. God is loving, but even a lost person can be a little bit loving sometimes. God is merciful, but even a lost person can sometimes be merciful. However, God is also holy, and nobody in the world can ever claim to be even a little bit holy. God is, by his very nature, something that we could never be no matter how hard we tried; that’s how much more impressive than us he is, and that’s why he deserves our worship. ...

The really great thing about God, and the thing that makes him deserve worship even more, is that he doesn’t just sit up on his holy stool and let that be the end of it. There’s a theological conundrum called “immanence and transcendence.” What it means is that God is very near to us, all around us in fact, and we can easily call on him just by saying his name. That’s called immanence. However, he’s also very far from us, because we can’t touch him, and short of salvation through Christ, there’s no way we can even have a relationship with him. That’s called transcendence. God’s holiness is the chief force behind his transcendence; our sin is what separates us from a high and holy God. However, his love and mercy are the driving forces behind his immanence. He came down to us, took the form of a lowly human, who got tired and hungry and frustrated, and then allowed himself to be put to an unjust death simply to allow us a way of entering a relationship with him – that’s how incomparably huge his love and mercy are. This is all in addition to the worship he deserves because of his holiness!....continued....

"The Difference Between Praise And Worship"
    May 12, 2013
    By Jim Barringer
    http://peoplegetready.org/worship/difference-praise-worship/

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Psalm 29
    [2] Give unto the LORD the glory due unto his name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.

Psalm 99
    [5] Exalt ye the LORD our God, and worship at his footstool; for he is holy.

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Matt.14
    [33] Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

John.9
    [31] Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.
    [38] And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.

Heb.1
    [6] And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

Rom.1
    [25] Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

9. Angela22

Angela22 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,317
    There's praise in worship, and worship in praise when done for the Father, but it is a good thing to understand the differences, also, that no thing be left undone in our everlasting love to the Great GLORY. :)

We should always be in praise to the Father who has sent His very Son to redeem us in His own blood, by taking on the cross and dying in the body as a sacrifice that we may live in the Spirit, in our faith to the Son and the Father.

We should forever worship the One Father, our KING, who has sent His Son for our salvation, bringing the Son alive again in His resurrection from the dead on the 3rd day that we may know and believe in what He has done for us in all His works, and believe in the resurrection, also.

Yes, praise and worship be forever to the Father, and honor to the Father and the Son, without ceasing! Blessings!

10. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Worship and Praise is a response to God’s Greatness

Kong Hee
    “Worship is a response to greatness.” You are great, O God!

A revelation of the greatness of God will take your praise and worship to another level.

God’s greatness is unsearchable. Synonyms for greatness include: prominent, eminent, important, distinguished, illustrious, celebrated. We should celebrate God’s greatness.

Psalm 145:3
    Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.
    The God of Abraham is the greatest of all the gods.

Exodus 18:11
    Now I know that the Lord is greater than all gods: for in the thing wherein they dealt proudly he was above them.
    God is referred to as a Great God.

Deuteronomy 10:17
    For the Lord your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty, and a terrible, which regardeth not persons, nor taketh reward:
    We worship (bow) to the Great God

Nehemiah 8:6
    And Ezra blessed the Lord, the great God. And all the people answered, Amen, Amen, with lifting up their hands: and they bowed their heads, and worshipped the Lord with their faces to the ground.
    Our God is a Great God and a Great King

Psalm 95:3
    For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods.
    God is GREATLY to be praised.

Psalm 145:3
    Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and his greatness is unsearchable.

Psalm 150:2
    Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.
    God’s greatness is connected to his power, glory, victory, and majesty.

1 Chronicles 29:11
    Thine, O Lord is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O Lord, and thou art exalted as head above all.

http://www.johneckhardtministries.com/2013/09/worship-and-praise-is-a-response-to-gods-greatness/

Users found this page by searching for:

1. difference between praise and worship td jakes

2. the difference between praise and worship by td jakes

3. TD Jakes because praise is about praising God and thanking Him for what Hes done for you but worship is worshipping Him for who He is