Black People : Poverty in America

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Regina, Feb 19, 2003.

1. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
  2. MORE

MORE Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    YAH A HUGE PROBLEM, MOMS RAISING KIDS ALONE, MOST OF THEM BOYS. N LETS FACE IT BOYS NEED A STRONG FATHER FIGURE AROUND. MAMA CAN'T BE A MAN.:)

3. Regina

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    I love my sisters...

I just want them to stop having "tunnel vision"

4. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    You said it XXX-
    why are we allowing ourselves to be inundated by rightwing bigots???
    the "22%" of White women who are supossedly single and with children is a hell of a lot more in numbers than the I've read 60-80 % of "black women;" never taking into account other factors... and how questions were asked... like for example how the average single white woman has been married 2.7 times...

anyway, and again; how can we let ourselves get into that stupid stupid assertion... they are inundating you with two stereotypes; black women are lacivious and black men ain't worth ****... to put it bluntly...

that does not make up for the fact of our failure, however as a people, when we have let ourselves kill each other- self-hatred... and our girls think that sex equals love; love equals having a child; our boys believing that being a man has to do with how long you can hold it up in a warm hole...

the going rate for a black "******" is about $25,000... check out the Bradley Institute...

5. Regina

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    Some of our sisters feel that their mistakes are someone else's fault...

Maybe we should wear chasity belts...

We need to live the life that we want our children to live. Children learn by example.

6. Nfant_De_Milieu

Nfant_De_Milieu Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    There is no quick fix to the problems we face. A lot of people donot have any guidance. I hate when I hear so called celeberities talking about how he or she is not a role model. Yesterday I heard Nelly talking about he is not a role model. If Jesse Jackson and Nelly both walked into a high school at the same time who do u think would get the biggest response? 6 million records sold and he doesnot think he influences people! When you turn the television the only black people you see are usually athletes or rapper/singer. Everybody wants to be a balla, playa, etc. Whateva happened to being an individual?

7. happy69

happy69 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    Regina, I see where you are going... so I know that it will be a waste of my time to say anything else... and that is okay...

But, to the rest of you...

African-American women (more than half of 32 million strong) have had to bear the burdens of this country of ours that we live in; and for our race...
    It started back in slavery... when she was made chattel, for use and abuse... and she was strong enough then....
    She was strong enough to go out and clean and raise kids for white folk; in addition to doing for her own family; with black man included (sometimes the racism more harsh on him, making it impossible for him to be helpmate...) and she was strong enough to take it then...
    She was strong enough to stand tall, when she felt that all she could do was to fight... she was strong enough then...
    She was strong enough, to all the while being dispised- also being silently heralded- the "women's movement" model is the black woman; rather it is admitted or not... (that is why I have always dismissed the notion of us being referred to as feminist/womanist... because before the phrases were coined-we already were- just BLACK WOMEN)
    Still today, she stands strong... yes, more having to raise kids alone... it is up to you rather you see that as a strength or a weakness (and no, I do not believe the "stats;" stats many many times are lies exaggerated and madeup to fit someone's agenda).... I see it as both...
    And the weakness is not in something wrong that she is doing-- but in how she has let herself get caught up in the weaknesses of others...
    1. if she don't have babies then something is wrong--- she is gay or she just can't get or hold-on to a man
    2. if she decides that she cannot keep the baby and decides to have an abortion... then low and behold she is making our numbers go down.. she is selfish...
    3. if she goes to work, and take care of her children, then she is doing too much...

When it can be explained to me; why in a country where the majority group in this country feels and is given the birthright to succeed... how in the hell:
    1. They have always been 60% to 70% of those on welfare... and a full 30 years of black women doing it "alone" they were !00%?
    Today it is 73%... and that is from those rightwing bigots some of you love... so I am saying I question that stat!

2. Why do white women have more abortions? They are according to your rightwing bigots... 46% all by themselves...why?

3. ...3... marriages... hell every 10 years (census) they can have lower %s of single households... or does that not matter...

4. Why are Black women in college more than any other group... including white men?

5. Why is the "IQ" gap b/t black women and men, 5 times larger than b/t white women and men (white men in the lead)?

My African-American sisters, amongst some of the things that I wish they didn't have to go through - are the best things around... it is your problem if you cannot recognize...

Instead of helping to destroy us all, maybe you should come up with solutions...

Oh, and one more thing... there is not a huge rise in sisters dating and marrying outside of us... according to your bigot friends they are leading the way (???); and do you think that the love they finding outside is because they are stupid, whorish, poor???

No, as an Asian guy and a White American guy said:

THEY ARE STRONG.....

Oh, and one more thing, because this made me laugh a little; that is the same reason (uugh) white "gay" women are finding themselves more and more attracted to black women...

ppps---- something ain't to write about your bigots and their stats--- it just don't compute.

No excuses.... just some truth...

8. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    :toast: happy69 & XX.

the way that "smiling negro's" article started off was negligent and false, but i held my breath as i read the rest of that B.S

Regina, all l have to say is read the replies of happy69 and XX.
    Seems to me you have a good point but the wrong information from the wrong guy.

9. Regina

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    Happy69, please don't feel that I wouldn't be open to hearing what you have to say.:)

I grew up with strong Black females but they didn't do everything alone. My maternal Grandmother was divorced, but she didn't raise her children entirely alone. She raised her family of ten children. The older children assisted, my Mother being the oldest. Extended family and friends helped also. My Mother and Father often took care of Mom's younger siblings and they are more like my brothers and sisters.

I am not going to agree that it is cool for young women and young men to have children out of wedlock. I don't care what "they" do (get abortions, etc.), we have to take care of our own community.:nono:

I am glad I started this discussion...controversial but a needed discussion...

Actually, when you think about it, a lot of African-Americans are actually conservative in a lot of their thinking...Hmmm, another discussion perhaps?

10. Regina

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    XXPANTHAXX, please don't apologize...that's what everyone is here for...to discuss topics.

A lot of women view life their way and not through a broader view, especially on the subject of relationships and children.