Black Spirituality Religion : Pouring Libation

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by river, Apr 11, 2006.

1. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    In Paut Neter - Company of the Gods Men Maa Aim Ra tells us that when we pour libation not all ancestors can hear us and those that can listen for their native tongue. Then the author asks what is the purpose of pouring libation in Engliah.

Is this true? Must I speak the native language of any ancestor I pour libation to? I could easily memorize a few mantras and incantations but that is not the same as knowing their native tongue and being able to speak to then once they are here.

2. uplift19

uplift19 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12
    What is the reasoning behind pouring libations? I would like to know what your insight is on this.

Also, does anyone who is dead qualify as an ancestor? I've heard people pour libations for people who died recently, but I always though of ancestor as more ancient.

3. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Hey sista uplift,

From what I can gather pouring libation is a way of invoking the spirits of the ancestors (bringing them into the plane of our physical senses) and also a way of showing respect. I've never actually done it and like you am just wondering about it.

Brotha Sekhemu may be able to answer our questions more fully.

4. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I'm glad you asked sistah.

Here is a link that should answer some of the questions you have concerning the meaning and implications for pouring libations.

This link is provided by a brotha and member on this forum by the name of Ifasehun, and it gives a fairly comprehensive description and meaning for the reasons we pour libations to our ancestors, as not everyone that passes is deserving of such an honor.

http://www.rootsandrooted.org/thugs.htm

5. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    River.....

For some but not for others.

My answer: NO. Why? Because our ancestors knew us before we knew them,they are present in every aspect of our being and are one with us,in the spiritual sense and the geneological sense.

It may make you feel closer to them and you will also learn a new language but I am not sure.

6. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    This is a great site, brotha Sek.

What are your views on pouring libation to children? I am thinking that since libations are for spirits the physical age shouldn't matter. Physicaally a person may be twelve years old but their spirits may be thousands of years old with hundreds of incatnations behind them. For this reason some children exibit an anomolous amount of wisdom and character. Is there a reason why we should not honor them?

7. river

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    We'll keep learning and teaching, brotha I Khan.

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    Sistah,

It isn't a matter of not honoring children for the sake of being children. As you alluded to, It's a question of the degree of mental, psychic, and emotional development in the physical realm.

There are children that are very advanced with respect to the realm of the soul and spirit, and it would take an exceptionally evolved soul to help the living as a guide and intermediary.

However the question becomes, why are they on the spirit plane as a youngster in the first place, and by what circumstance(s) did they arrive there. This can be ascertained by additional steps of divination.

So naturally there would likely have been some degree of arrested development,

9. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    This is an awesome thread. Brother Sek handled everything before I had the chance to get to it. :)

HOTEPU

10. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    This is some very very good information!

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ancestral libation mantra