Black Sports : POUND-FOR-POUND CHAMPIONS: COULD TODAY'S GUYS COMPETE WITH CHAMPIONS OF YESTERYEAR???

Isaiah

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jun 8, 2004
Well, no need to be too long-winded... I know you boxing afficianados know the question I'm asking, which is, could Roy Jones deal with Michael Spinks, Bob Foster, Eddie Mustapha Muhammad, Jose Torres???

Could the current Heavyweight Champ deal with Ali, Louis, Liston, Walcott???

Could the Current Welterweight champion deal with Sugah Ray Leonard or Sugah Ray Rob, or the Hitman Tommy Hearns, Beneitez, Griffith, Jose Robles???

Could the currrent crop of Middleweights deal with Sugah Ray Rob, Jake LaMotta, Hagler, Benvenutti, Carlos Monzon???

Could the current crop a cats at the top of the Lightweights DEAL with Hawk Pryor, Arguello, Azumah Nelson, Sandy Saddler and Wille Pep???

Could these featherweights deal with the great Salvador Sanchez, or Wilfredo Gomez???

Y'all get the drift... Could these guys have held their own, and why so, or why not???

Peace!
Isaiah

Ok Bro Isaiah.....without revealing my true age, but this post will probably give some a idea.....

In the heavyweight division......Not a one of these current "bum of the month" club fighters could deal with Ali in his prime. Tyson-dismissed in Round 5....Lennox Lewis--gone in round 7....George Forman would have anniliated Holyfield.......Hell, Larry Holmes or Frazier would have dispatched these current bums with ease....

John Ruiz? A heavyweight champ? Come on. Sonny Liston's stare would end that fight quickly.

Middleweights? Hagler would have dropped Bernard Hopkins in the 5th.

With the welterweights, (you didnt mention Duran)....he would have disposed this current group of soft-life fighters.

For some reason, I think the best fighters come out of poverty. Today's fighters got it too easy with scientific training, steroids, sissy-fied, over-analyized work-outs and set-up matches. Hell, the heavyweights only fight once every 2 years.....Ali and Frazier were back on their feet and in the ring, fighting 3 or 4 times a year.....Managers today wouldnt let their fighters endure that type of punishment......it's all media hype and no action.

I believe that is why the interest in boxing has disappeared.

abstract219 said:
Ok Bro Isaiah.....without revealing my true age, but this post will probably give some a idea.....

In the heavyweight division......Not a one of these current "bum of the month" club fighters could deal with Ali in his prime. Tyson-dismissed in Round 5....Lennox Lewis--gone in round 7....George Forman would have anniliated Holyfield.......Hell, Larry Holmes or Frazier would have dispatched these current bums with ease....

John Ruiz? A heavyweight champ? Come on. Sonny Liston's stare would end that fight quickly.

With the welterweights, (you didnt mention Duran)....he would have disposed this current group of soft-life fighters.

For some reason, I think the best fighters come out of poverty. Today's fighters got it too easy with scientific training, steroids, sissy-fied, over-analyized work-outs and set-up matches. Hell, the heavyweights only fight once every 2 years.....Ali and Frazier were back on their feet and in the ring, fighting 3 or 4 times a year.....Managers today wouldnt let their fighters endure that type of punishment......it's all media hype and no action.

Brother Abstract, I don't know the cats of today like I knew the fighters of yesteryear, so I am proceeding with caution, and letting you afficianados state your cases(smile!)

Its just that I see a lot of palaver and hype surrounding these fights, and as I haven't seen the fighters, I wonder what it's all about... I remember in the day, 1970's and 1980's, that the welterweights, middleweights, and light-heavy divisions were so chock fulla wonderful fighters that belts were being changed every 6 months, or so... I thought this was a golden age for boxing until I start listening to the old-timers, and they start telling me, naw, man, the 40's and 50's was the shot, the era for great fighters...(smile!)

Nevertheless, in the 1970's, Duran, Leonard, Hitman, Benites, Ali, Holmes, Frazier, Norton, Foreman, Monzon, Foster, Escalera, Arguello, are some of the great names that lit up the era... Many of those fighters fought on into the '80's as champions because they were youngsters(Hearns and Leonard, for example), and joined Hagler, Holmes, Tyson, Pryor, and Michael Spinks to light up that decade... And those were some of the top names, though certainly not all of them... For example, Hector Camacho, Salvador Sanchez, and Wilfredo Gomez... These were some wonderful fighters, and some are just all-time greats... I am wondering whom among the present fighters actually RATE with these afore-mentioned fighters??? Some people say the Hopkins in his prime would out=think Hagler, and own him... Honestly, I've never seen Hopkins, so I don't know...

One thing I do know is that a lot of fighters I saw were so devastating when they weren't fighting these champions... You almost thought they'd beat the champion, but when they got in there, you saw why a Hagler and Leonard were top dogs in boxing... BTW, speaking of Manny Steward... He managed a bunch of fighters in the 1980's, like Hilmer Kenty, Milton and Donald McCrory, as well as, Thomas Hearns... I don't know, but a bunch of his fighers got clocked back in the day when they came up against the heavy hitters... Of course, that's like 25 years ago, so I think he's grown into the great trainer he is by trial and error(smile!)

Peace!
Isaiah

abstract219 said:

brother abstract I'm glad you posted before me because i did not want to be the first to get a beat down on this like i did the old skool/new skool basketball argument. i also was hoping brother Red would get here before me also, but here goes...

"Today's fighters got it too easy with scientific training, steroids, sissy-fied, over-analyzed work-outs and set-up matches."

Brother living in LA do you have any idea how much money i could have won betting against golden boy de lahoya? especially if i went to vegas. i would have needed bodyguards to get out of town with all the loot.

I used to laugh whenever i saw "oscar" thinking this dude might be able to "outbox" me but i probably could take him easily in a "handicap match"...no holds barred!

A few nightst ago when steven a. smith interviewed george forman his first question for george was "what's wrong with these guys today?"

floyd mayweather has some skills...roy jones...dont know what up with him.....after these to last year i totally lost interest in boxing...

and i aint ashamed about my age...

I REMEBER GOING TO THE WILTERN THEATRE AND WATCHING THOSE BIG SCREEN FIGHTS WITH ALI AND FRAZIER LONG BEFORE CABLE TV...

That was like watching Godzilla vs Mothra...TITANIC PROPORTIONS!

Nothing...absolutely NO comparison today...

(I must say the same for professional baseball and really am NOT pulling for Barry Bonds to break Hank Aaron's record..the only reason i give him any props is because of his relationship to my elder-IDOl Wille Mays...)

Say hey! hey!

I would honestly say that the yesteryears great fighters would
beat these today guys like raw meat in everyway class and form

back then they was pure fighters swinging out of struggle & poverty
and had that hard core training not like the soft tone training today
those was fighters that will stand toe to toe .

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back