potty training

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by PURRRfect, Apr 16, 2003.

1. PURRRfect

PURRRfect Member MEMBER

student/stay at home mommy
    Ratings:
    +0
    i heard on the news last week....the chic said that starting potty training befor 25 mths only prolongs the process....if it is started before then it lasts bout 14mths....

i so believe her....cuz its takin me forever with my son that is 27mths now...he's been training for 9 mths now...and it took my daughter forever too...

what yall think about this??

2. monetg

monetg Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not a parent but I've rasied children and I think it takes longer if you make it a HUGE hurdle. If you start with the "be a big boy and show Mommy" or make it a pressure-point the child will be afraid to disappoint you and will be more cautious.
    With my Godson I made it a game. As a female, I couldn't stand up and demonstrate so I placed a plastic bulls-eye in the toilet and he got some ice cream or other treat if: he told me had to go (rather than going in his diaper) and if he hit the bulls-eye. If he felt like going in his diaper that was cool too--the choice was his but he associated rewards with learning to "potty".
    Guurrll, there are too many other more serious parental stresses than potty-ing. As long as he learns before his honey-moon--(I'm just joking)--as long as he learns before daycare or school--what's the harm?

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I don't think it hurts to start a child going to the potty once they make 12 to 13
    months i help potty train both my kids and yes i too played games and rewarded
    them with claps and very encouraging words praising and they seem to go to it
    more and more without any preasure they will make a few oooops in this effort.

4. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    well

potty training is different for each child. I have always started my children training at about 18 months old. My daughter who is 2 took no time learning to use the potty. I can take her anywhere and she lets me know when she gotta go..gotta go....gotta GO!....and...she doesn't wet the bed @ all... so it depends on the child.

5. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    so true sistah Nita in every case of a child thay react differently
    and some children start quicker then others and some start late
    my sister baby started her training at around 16 months by the time
    she was 24 months she was ready and will let you know if she needed
    the potty i think each child hold a different destiny when it come to
    training them

let me ask why do it seem that boys are so much harder then girls
    to train i notice many boys take much longer then girls do ??

6. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    $$RICH$$

Now you know why it takes boys longer,1. they always get lost on their way to the potty and wont ask for directions...and 2. boys are much slower than girls..I thinks it's a mental problem most men suffer from waaaay into adulthood......lololol
    I's jokin menzes...lol
    Nita
    :heart:

7. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    That was funny Nita, I guess that need not to ask for directions starts early, huh? One thing with potty training boys, I think there is some uncertainty about sitting or standing, I've seen both parents and boys get confused about this. And then some boys get upset about missing the target, no matter how you reassure them. Some children are afraid of the potty, some are just ready to be trained before others. Yes, it really depends on the child.

8. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    My daughter won't sit still long enough to potty....she barely sits still long enough to feed her a bottle (she'll put her foot in my neck, and twist & turn).

9. vj57

vj57 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6
    I noticed that before my daughter turned one, she would take her pamper off as if she didn't want that wet thing on her. So, for her first birthday, among the many gifts was a potty chair. We sat her on it, and heard a tinkle, and we were so excited. We praised her and this is true...my daughter was wearing panties the following week and never wet the bed again. Even if we were traveling, she would tell us when she had to pee and we got the pottychair out of the trunk.

As for my son, well...it took a little longer, but he was trained by age two.

The older women would consider us "lazy" if we have a child who is not potty trained by age three. Back in the day, these women trained their kids early. My mother told me that ALL of us where potty trained by the first year.

10. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    so really the right time is what age then we all have started our kids differently
    isn't it best around or between 13 to 18 months ?