Black People : Posting in Ebonics

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by panafrica, Jun 24, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I remember reading African American novelist like Zora Neal Hurston, Alice Walker, and Toni Morrison. Despite the brillance of their subjects, and the depths of their imaginations...I didn't really enjoy their books because to me, they were difficult to read. This was particularly true of Zora Neal Hurston and her classic novel, "Their Eyes Were Watching God". This book was written in what we would classified as Ebonics. While I can understand the purpose was to make the book seem more geniune...it always seemed to me to be more work to do this.

I noticed that several members on Destee also like to post in Ebonics. For those that do, I have some questions: Why do you like to post in Ebonics? Do you do it to be original, or is there another reason? Is is more effort to post this way? Does it concern you that some people (yes even black people) may not understand what you are writing?

2. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Excellent question, Brother Pan and I'm glad you raised it. I'm one that finds it extremely difficult to read words in abbreviated formats...or words spelled phonetically. By the time I have plodded my way through a sentence or two, I've completely lost the train of thought and I give up. It's not that I'm opposed to this style, it's just that my eye and brain have been trained to interpret words one way and the adjustment is challenging for me to develop to another style.

Queenie :spinstar:

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    i be fillin u queen

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,683
    Ohhhhhhh ... i Love EBONICS !!!! ... i Love Zora ... i Love Their Eyes Were Watching God!

I would love to write a book in Ebonics! I talk it all the time, and write it too ... when i can sneak it in, which is often, since i live up in here with so many Black Folk! :)

Now there is some stuff that is not Ebonics, some ways of the Internet, that reduce the number of keystrokes ... and then there are some folk ( who i won't mention :wink: ) that always writes in this language of his own ... and oh my gosh ... if he were my husband, i'd be whoop'n him errry nite !!! ... i mean ... he problee talks like that too ... po' thang ... lol :kiss:

Anyway ... that's my 2 cent ...

:heart:

Destee

5. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I post in Ebonics, because I am a master of this english language; thus, I can choose whichever dialect, I want to post in.

Joke.

I like to post in Ebonics or whatever you want to call it, because I like to relax when I communicate to people. I am pretty sure if I posted qutoe un quote un-ebonically. Folks would probably say that my posts would be a quagmire of convoluted gre words and complex sentences that no one would not understand.

So I try to communicate effectively to everyone. That is why I post and will continue to post ebonically or whatever.

Ya dig.

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Bruva PanAfrica and Sistah NNQueen, y'all sure you aint just talkin' 'bout some bad, turrble-*** anglish, or you rilly caint feel no 'bonics???(kekekeee!) I thank it's 'bout da authors y'all read, and not our beloved soulspeech, nowameen???

For example, I've read Walter Mosely, Rudolph Fisher, and Chester Himes, and their beautiful interpretations of ebonics just slew me... Robert "Iceberg Slim" Beck's way with ebonics is masterful, as was Ralph Ellison's... Didn't care for Richard Wright's writing, but seems a lot of folks think I'm crazy for that(smile!) By the way, Rudolph Fisher is a Harlem Renaissance writer, who kicked a lot of early '20's Harlem slang, and it was revelatory... He used words up in there, like "Fly", to connote the same meaning it had when I was a kid... Man, a word, like BAD, that has withstood the ever changing lexicon of Africans in America???

Conclusion: I think the readability of ebonics is dependent upon the writer, so I wouldn't cast it away unless I came across someone who didn't quite know what they were doing in writing in the style... Now, Jamaican ebonics is quite another story!!! Y'all try reading that without and interpreter!(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

7. Nita

Nita Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    youth volunteer
    Ratings:
    +17
    Laaaawd!!!!!

roflol fallin out my chair [email protected]......smh...You aint even Not right.....smh again

8. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    You don't post in Ebonics Manasiac...and Isaiah, I was talking about this website more than novels. I haven't read a novel since I was in college, and I have no interest in doing so. I am not a big fan of non-fiction or poetry (never have been), I focus more on history & news. But you are probably right about the readability of ebonics being dependent upon the writer.

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    [email protected] Isaiah. *thinking*...hmmmm...maybe it's not the ebonics per se that confuses me now that I'm thinking of it, but more about the phonetic spelling of words that people use to abbreviate words in chat text and discussion text. I think that's a better description of what I meant. It's like internet shorthand or something. Have you ever seen those personalized license plates where you find yourself trying to interpret the combinations of letters/number symbols used to express words?

Queenie :)

10. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I post in ebonics pan, u just have not head the pleasure of reading every singly post :)