Black People : Posting in Ebonics

panafrica

REGISTERED MEMBER
Aug 24, 2002
The Diaspora
I remember reading African American novelist like Zora Neal Hurston, Alice Walker, and Toni Morrison. Despite the brillance of their subjects, and the depths of their imaginations...I didn't really enjoy their books because to me, they were difficult to read. This was particularly true of Zora Neal Hurston and her classic novel, "Their Eyes Were Watching God". This book was written in what we would classified as Ebonics. While I can understand the purpose was to make the book seem more geniune...it always seemed to me to be more work to do this.

I noticed that several members on Destee also like to post in Ebonics. For those that do, I have some questions: Why do you like to post in Ebonics? Do you do it to be original, or is there another reason? Is is more effort to post this way? Does it concern you that some people (yes even black people) may not understand what you are writing?

Excellent question, Brother Pan and I'm glad you raised it. I'm one that finds it extremely difficult to read words in abbreviated formats...or words spelled phonetically. By the time I have plodded my way through a sentence or two, I've completely lost the train of thought and I give up. It's not that I'm opposed to this style, it's just that my eye and brain have been trained to interpret words one way and the adjustment is challenging for me to develop to another style.

Queenie :spinstar:

Ohhhhhhh ... i Love EBONICS !!!! ... i Love Zora ... i Love Their Eyes Were Watching God!

I would love to write a book in Ebonics! I talk it all the time, and write it too ... when i can sneak it in, which is often, since i live up in here with so many Black Folk! :)

Now there is some stuff that is not Ebonics, some ways of the Internet, that reduce the number of keystrokes ... and then there are some folk ( who i won't mention :wink: ) that always writes in this language of his own ... and oh my gosh ... if he were my husband, i'd be whoop'n him errry nite !!! ... i mean ... he problee talks like that too ... po' thang ... lol :kiss:

Anyway ... that's my 2 cent ...

:heart:

Destee

I post in Ebonics, because I am a master of this english language; thus, I can choose whichever dialect, I want to post in.

Joke.

I like to post in Ebonics or whatever you want to call it, because I like to relax when I communicate to people. I am pretty sure if I posted qutoe un quote un-ebonically. Folks would probably say that my posts would be a quagmire of convoluted gre words and complex sentences that no one would not understand.

So I try to communicate effectively to everyone. That is why I post and will continue to post ebonically or whatever.

Ya dig.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

TractorsPakistan.com is one of the leading tractor exporters from Pakistan to Africa and the Caribbean regions.
HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Back