Black People : Post-Traumatic Slavery Disorder

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Blackbird, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    What y'all think?

Here is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

My wife and I currently run an agency where we provide basic skills training, psychosocial rehabilitation, and counseling/therapy sessions to children in the custody of Department of Family Services. Our clients have an SED (Severely Emotional Disturbed) diagnosis and many have PTSD. Our current foster child has PTSD. So I'm fairly familiar with its manifestations.

Here's a definition of the disorder:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_stress_disorder

Symptoms are:

Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms may include:

http://health.yahoo.com/stress-over...nic--181CCBB4-A467-4D76-A3488529DC3DBEE9.html

Blackbird

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
  3. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    it has been my recent experience that most folks around her don't care to much about the psychological aspects of our situation.
    at least when i present them. maybe you will have better luck.

4. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    i do seem to recall this disorder being mentioned here a time or two in the past. additionally, googling this subject brings up a few pages of hits. i did mention post traumatic stress disorder a time or two myself today.

but, personally, i'd prefer the "stress" rather than to keep digging at that "slavery" concept. not to deny that slavery happened, but it seems as if sometimes continuing to "harp" on something quite that traumatic irritates the "wound" and leaves room for folks to come with that "get over it" nonsense.

i, too, have felt that this has some validity in the form of DID/MPD.

have you any suggestions/thoughts on steps beyond diagnosis, Blackbird?

(had a girlfriend once with this. sadly, i didn't know that this was what was causing the communications problems; having never encountered it directly before, i was inadvertently "helping" her uncontrolled switching. once i found out what was going on, i eventually wound up supporting her solidly into the "recovery" process. she eventually gave me credit for, as she put it, "literally saving her life". quite a learning experience!! but i must say it seemed like the medication was doing less good than "simply" working to understand, and work with, her self(ves). the way that the mental death system wanted her to work with it felt, to her, as if they were talking about killing off portions of herself. we finally worked out that she should picture it as if she/they were sitting around a table each morning working out who was gonna do what. eventually, she managed to come to grips with her "system" such that she/they worked their daily business without appearing to switch. i have found that it doesn't much matter what is actually going on in the head as long as the head was working with the external "reality" smoothly enough that it all just worked. and she did; she became a quite successful therapist in her own right! and people really appreciated the insights that she gave them. the growth/healing was a most delightful, and fulfilling, thing to watch and be a part of.)

apropos of nothing in particular, Blackbird; are you familiar with the clubhouse model of psychosocial rehab?

5. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    If something relates to the slave experience on several levels and is generationaly passed down, who are you to want to deny the reality of it if it is true? I guess Keita was right after all. They went through it, passed the experience down to us on several levels, and we were never deprogrammed from it, never healed of it and now we want to get into the denial of the cause and effects of it even though it's real. smh!

6. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    sometimes.....

the most brainwashed cat in the room is the one denying that he has been brainwashed......:lol:

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    a sizeable percentage do......

anytime, homie.....

8. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382

9. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    straight up, do you ever consider for one nanosecond that you just might not be right all the time?

10. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    Love Prescription

is written by Jeffrey Gardere, Ph.d and the premise of the book is that Post Traumatic Slavery Disorder is at the heart of dysfunctional Black relationships.
    He discusses everything about our mental complexes, including our ideals of beauty, our attempts to acquire and maintain power, He adds a new term called Complacency Denial Syndrome which emerged as a result of having to comply and endure our situation during slavery. However, it didn't magically disappear with the Emancipation Proclamation. In fact CDS grew and was fertilized by the Black churches who preached a message of martyrdom. I recall reading elsewhere that the first Black preachers in the United States were only ordained under the acceptance that they would preach a gospel advocating getting ours in the hereafter.

My paternal grandfather was well respected for his knowledge, and his fearless interaction with whites. He played the organ and directed the choir at the Methodist church. On occasion a white pastor would come down to visit he would stand before the congregation and tell them not to seek riches or glory here on earth but to wait for the afterlife. Well, that B.S didn't sit too well with my grandpa and his children were taught otherwise. While many will point out that being a part of the church itself is an indoctrination, my point here is that Complacency and Denial were often marketed through this institution.

I recall visiting some second cousins back home about 6 years ago. One of my elder cousins married an East Indian who believed that god ordained the white man to rule over the rest of us. I could not believe what I heard, and when I opened my mouth using as much diplomacy as I could, I realized her grandchildren would never achieve any degree of happiness or self-realization if they bought the same program that she did.

But I digress. Back to the PTSD. Many of the symptoms of this mental condition have been discussed here at Destee, including but limited to sexual behavior, marital distress, honesty, identity and self-esteem.
    What I quite like about this author is his classification of our modern behavior based on slave labels. For examples Buck and the Breeder; the male stud and the female offspring producer. Punany Power women who are the equivalent of the male stud only she add the ingredient of material compensation. Not to diss these artists as a whole but some of their songs exemplify PTSD:

Example of Punany Power - No Panties

There are further classifications for both men and women, and he goes into subject matters like same-sex relationships, and dating exclusively outside our race. I have to say that reading through this book I could reflect and see parts of these characterizations in people I had known, or roles I myself had played and thank goodness outgrown. With so much material being written by doctors and psychologists of our own, it is distressing that our children are not being assigned these books as reading material. What bloody good is curriculum that isn't relevant to their lives. And besides, had I acquired this knowledge many years beforehand, it is possible that I would not have learned so much by experience, but rather through the expert analysis of a learned scholar.

When it comes to relationships, especially the relationship with ourselves we can benefit from a pound of truth. There is a lot of truth behind this PTSD, and it's time we recognize it and heal it.