Black People : Post-Traumatic Slavery Disorder

Blackbird

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jan 31, 2004
Da Desert, literally
Occupation
Professional Hitman
What y'all think?

Here is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).

My wife and I currently run an agency where we provide basic skills training, psychosocial rehabilitation, and counseling/therapy sessions to children in the custody of Department of Family Services. Our clients have an SED (Severely Emotional Disturbed) diagnosis and many have PTSD. Our current foster child has PTSD. So I'm fairly familiar with its manifestations.

Here's a definition of the disorder:

PTSD is an anxiety disorder that can develop after exposure to one or more terrifying events that threatened or caused grave physical harm. It is a severe and ongoing emotional reaction to an extreme psychological trauma.[3] This stressor may involve someone's actual death, a threat to the patient's or someone else's life, serious physical injury, or threat to physical or psychological integrity, overwhelming psychological defenses. In some cases it can also be from profound psychological and emotional trauma, apart from any actual physical harm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_stress_disorder

Symptoms are:

Post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms may include:

Flashbacks, or reliving the traumatic event for minutes or even days at a time
Shame or guilt
Upsetting dreams about the traumatic event
Trying to avoid thinking or talking about the traumatic event
Feeling emotionally numb
Irritability or anger
Poor relationships
Self-destructive behavior, such as drinking too much
Hopelessness about the future
Trouble sleeping
Memory problems
Trouble concentrating
Being easily startled or frightened
Not enjoying activities you once enjoyed
Hearing or seeing things that aren't there

http://health.yahoo.com/stress-over...nic--181CCBB4-A467-4D76-A3488529DC3DBEE9.html

Blackbird

i do seem to recall this disorder being mentioned here a time or two in the past. additionally, googling this subject brings up a few pages of hits. i did mention post traumatic stress disorder a time or two myself today.

but, personally, i'd prefer the "stress" rather than to keep digging at that "slavery" concept. not to deny that slavery happened, but it seems as if sometimes continuing to "harp" on something quite that traumatic irritates the "wound" and leaves room for folks to come with that "get over it" nonsense.

i, too, have felt that this has some validity in the form of DID/MPD.

have you any suggestions/thoughts on steps beyond diagnosis, Blackbird?

(had a girlfriend once with this. sadly, i didn't know that this was what was causing the communications problems; having never encountered it directly before, i was inadvertently "helping" her uncontrolled switching. once i found out what was going on, i eventually wound up supporting her solidly into the "recovery" process. she eventually gave me credit for, as she put it, "literally saving her life". quite a learning experience!! but i must say it seemed like the medication was doing less good than "simply" working to understand, and work with, her self(ves). the way that the mental death system wanted her to work with it felt, to her, as if they were talking about killing off portions of herself. we finally worked out that she should picture it as if she/they were sitting around a table each morning working out who was gonna do what. eventually, she managed to come to grips with her "system" such that she/they worked their daily business without appearing to switch. i have found that it doesn't much matter what is actually going on in the head as long as the head was working with the external "reality" smoothly enough that it all just worked. and she did; she became a quite successful therapist in her own right! and people really appreciated the insights that she gave them. the growth/healing was a most delightful, and fulfilling, thing to watch and be a part of.)

apropos of nothing in particular, Blackbird; are you familiar with the clubhouse model of psychosocial rehab?

i do seem to recall this disorder being mentioned here a time or two in the past. additionally, googling this subject brings up a few pages of hits. i did mention post traumatic stress disorder a time or two myself today.

but, personally, i'd prefer the "stress" rather than to keep digging at that "slavery" concept. not to deny that slavery happened, but it seems as if sometimes continuing to "harp" on something quite that traumatic irritates the "wound" and leaves room for folks to come with that "get over it" nonsense.

i, too, have felt that this has some validity in the form of DID/MPD.

have you any suggestions/thoughts on steps beyond diagnosis, Blackbird?

(had a girlfriend once with this. sadly, i didn't know that this was what was causing the communications problems; having never encountered it directly before, i was inadvertently "helping" her uncontrolled switching. once i found out what was going on, i eventually wound up supporting her solidly into the "recovery" process. she eventually gave me credit for, as she put it, "literally saving her life". quite a learning experience!! but i must say it seemed like the medication was doing less good than "simply" working to understand, and work with, her self(ves). the way that the mental death system wanted her to work with it felt, to her, as if they were talking about killing off portions of herself. we finally worked out that she should picture it as if she/they were sitting around a table each morning working out who was gonna do what. eventually, she managed to come to grips with her "system" such that she/they worked their daily business without appearing to switch. i have found that it doesn't much matter what is actually going on in the head as long as the head was working with the external "reality" smoothly enough that it all just worked. and she did; she became a quite successful therapist in her own right! and people really appreciated the insights that she gave them. the growth/healing was a most delightful, and fulfilling, thing to watch and be a part of.)

apropos of nothing in particular, Blackbird; are you familiar with the clubhouse model of psychosocial rehab?

If something relates to the slave experience on several levels and is generationaly passed down, who are you to want to deny the reality of it if it is true? I guess Keita was right after all. They went through it, passed the experience down to us on several levels, and we were never deprogrammed from it, never healed of it and now we want to get into the denial of the cause and effects of it even though it's real. smh!

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back