Black Spirituality Religion : positive rather than negative

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by jamesfrmphilly, Sep 14, 2006.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    most people here believe something. some of us believe nothing. either way, that is our right.
    i am not liking the attack of one to another about what they believe or what their belief system is.
    i say present an affirmative picture of what you believe and leave the other guy alone.
    so what if he wants to eat salamanders and bay at the moon? it's his right.

i don't think anyone here has ever converted anyone else.
    all i ever see are endless arguments about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

why not each do their own thing and let the next guy do his? why not?

2. Slowly

Slowly Well-Known Member MEMBER

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    That would be nice.

3. Music Producer

Music Producer Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +94
    I agree. But if one wants to debate shouldn’t we also be free to do that? I mean, if someone asks a question about my interpretation or perception, I am free to respond and even defend my position. As we all would naturally do in a place of integration.

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    what i am talking about is setting out to show that someone else's belief system is invalid.
    i think that is counter productive and a waste of everybody's time. when has anyone been converted from one system to another?
    people have to find their own way. you can present what you think is right but it is up to them when they are ready to accept it.
    i think trying to show someone else's belief is invalid is not going to get us anywhere.
    all it does is disturb the peace.

5. Slowly

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's okay if someone wants to try to convert me into another belief system. What I have a problem with is when they use mis-interpretations or the human factor to do so.

6. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    Would you mind giving examples of what you mean?

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    is it a good use of one's energy to try and show that some other belief system is invalid?

8. Slowly

electronic technician
    Ratings:
    +8
    Not trying to start flak with anyone, but someone posted that Paul admitted to lying. But what he actually meant was I would lie if it would get you to love God more. As for the human factor, people have been mistreated by the church they attended. Or the preacher just didn't know his bible as well as he should.

9. SAMURAI36

SAMURAI36 Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +234
    I'm at a loss as to what you are attempting to demonstrate here.

Where is the "misrepresentation of the human factor" in either of these examples (which are totally unrelated to each other)?

As far as your feeling of it being OK to attempt to convert people, as the Brother Elder stated, it is extremely counterproductive to dedicate one's time to do this.

Any and all actions should have a degree of logic governing them.

If it is alright to try to convert someone from one religion to another, then it should be equally alright to convert people's sexual orientation, or any other values.

Should someone try to "convert" your spouse from being in love with you, to being with them instead?

This is why I stated in another thread, that people should respect other peoples choices, even if we don't agree with their actions.

The issue of inalienable rights is a sticky one: my rights end where yours begin, and vice versa. It is very important to respect, above all else, the boundaries of all this.

I personally find it highly offensive when people try to convert me. This is why I personally do not attempt to do it.

Hearing you say that you have no problem with people trying to convert other people, leads me to think that you yourself would most likely have intents to do this, if you have not already attempted this in the recent or distant past.

I would suggest that you refrain from doing this (at least here, if not in your daily life).

PEACE

10. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    Happy Friday:hi: :couple:
    Everyone's entitled to share,
    it's educational ,but I just ask that you be factual because I learn alot from this forum.
    I'd hate to be in a deep conversation and not know what I'm talking about.:?: