Black Parenting : Positive Characters for Black Children

Kyooms

Nov 16, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. My name is Tamara, I black woman from the Caribbean originally.

Nice to meet all of you :)

A little about myself, I am a young artist, living in the U.S, and a (hopefully soon) entrepreneur.

I'd like to use my talent to spread love, tolerance and other positive messages to small
children, through the creation of a series of cartoons.
I was wondering what your thoughts as fellow black persons are on the state of positive images for black children these days.

When I look at our cartoons on television, I don't tend to see many black main characters, I have seen Dora the Explorer as of late which is great, but still no black characters that appeal to our young toddlers. I
I would like to fill this void somehow, because it is very important children this young see someone like themselves being positive.

What I would like to know from all of you is how important persons in general feel this is for kids, even if you are not a parent, your input would be much appreciated.

I am actually looking around for similar forums to gather this input because I would like to analyze the diversity of opinions if any, so do not be alarmed if this post is on others, it's not my intention to spam.

Thank you :)

Shikamaru

May 7, 2011
You know .... one of the few Nubian cartoon characters I can think of for young children is Little Bill on Nickelodeon.

Shikamaru

May 7, 2011
If I had children, the values I would impart to them are:

a) scholasticism
b) protection, safety, security
c) self-reliance
d) creativity
e) critical thinking
f) morality and justice

Destee

destee.com
STAFF
Jan 22, 2001
betwixt and between
destee.com
Occupation
Website Consultant
Great idea! Wishing you much success with the effort.

As i think on it, i can't remember any (positive) Black cartoon characters growing up.

This may explain some of my current dysfunction ... :) ... so yessss ... please fix it for the generations coming!

Much Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

Kyooms

Nov 16, 2011
Thank you for the response everyone :) I've had only a few responses over a few different forums, but they all seem to be pointing to the same, it does seem to be a common consensus that positive characters for this age group is lacking, I think it is important, and I definitely will try to do something about it -

Consciousness Raising Online!

Latest profile posts

Nahshon wrote on Gracious's profile.
Gracious Queen I hope you do come back to destee...I see last time you were online here was 6 years ago on my birthday...I was probably probably taking a puff on that good 'ol stuff at the time...maybe sitting back sipping Coffee, Tea, or Wine...I just had to go back and read your previous posts.
Moved back to the Borough of my birth...Queens New York...Originally from SouthSide but now I live in Far Rockaway.
Clarity to pursue my mission in 2020
Destee wrote on Omowale Jabali's profile.
Hi Brother O! YAAAAAY! Good to see you! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year! :heart:
Destee wrote on King Tubbs's profile.
Hi Brother - so good to see you in the house again! Hoping all is well with you and yours! Happy New Year Beloved! :heart: