Black Parenting : Positive Characters for Black Children

Discussion in 'Black Parenting' started by Kyooms, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Kyooms

Kyooms Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +51
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum. My name is Tamara, I black woman from the Caribbean originally.

Nice to meet all of you :)

A little about myself, I am a young artist, living in the U.S, and a (hopefully soon) entrepreneur.

I'd like to use my talent to spread love, tolerance and other positive messages to small
    children, through the creation of a series of cartoons.
    I was wondering what your thoughts as fellow black persons are on the state of positive images for black children these days.

When I look at our cartoons on television, I don't tend to see many black main characters, I have seen Dora the Explorer as of late which is great, but still no black characters that appeal to our young toddlers. I
    I would like to fill this void somehow, because it is very important children this young see someone like themselves being positive.

What I would like to know from all of you is how important persons in general feel this is for kids, even if you are not a parent, your input would be much appreciated.

I am actually looking around for similar forums to gather this input because I would like to analyze the diversity of opinions if any, so do not be alarmed if this post is on others, it's not my intention to spam.

Thank you :)

2. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    You know .... one of the few Nubian cartoon characters I can think of for young children is Little Bill on Nickelodeon.

3. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    If I had children, the values I would impart to them are:

a) scholasticism
    b) protection, safety, security
    c) self-reliance
    d) creativity
    e) critical thinking
    f) morality and justice

4. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Great idea! Wishing you much success with the effort.

As i think on it, i can't remember any (positive) Black cartoon characters growing up.

This may explain some of my current dysfunction ... :) ... so yessss ... please fix it for the generations coming!

Much Much Love and Peace.

:heart:

Destee

5. Kyooms

Kyooms Active Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +51
    Thank you for the response everyone :) I've had only a few responses over a few different forums, but they all seem to be pointing to the same, it does seem to be a common consensus that positive characters for this age group is lacking, I think it is important, and I definitely will try to do something about it -

6. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Sister, something so positive is well overdue. However, most important to an animation is neither the visual nor the vocal but the ideal. Writing makes or breaks a cartoon; and good, uplifting, beautifying writing is what our people need at this time--not a Black face in a White place. You certainly can consider writing me concerning the writing of your project--I would love to play a role in our children's education.

Hotep!

7. Knowledge Seed

Knowledge Seed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +551
    Green Latern and Static Shock were/are Black.

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Cosby kids back in the days was all black kids with Bill

9. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    Precisely, a cartoon means nothing with good writing. "Fat Albert" was a cartoon--but did it tell us who we are? [I suppose, in not watching the show, I can not pose a rhetorical question ;-).]

10. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    Welcome Kyooms... can I ask you what you mean by Tolerance?

My kids watched Bill Cosby's show Little Bill.. and Bill Cosby's The Cosby Show.. and also Static Shock.. and Andre 3000's Class of 3000.. that was a good show with a companion website that had software for creating music.. other than that it was Transformers and Teen Titans.. Teen Titans has a black character also.. We started with Dora the explorer.. We don't even have a TV now though.. too many strings attached to Television programming.. for every positive thing you watch, you get all this negative stuff along with it.. commercials and all kinds of other mess.. And I said all of that to say this: Think about a webseries where you can control the entire environment.. Positivity surrounded by negativity is defeated. I think content creators need to think about creating their own channels through the web..