Black Short Stories : Popular Girl

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by Ujima, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Ujima

Ujima Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    As I sat at the lunch table, I heard some say, “She think she’s all that but I’m going to prove her wrong today.” It was the most popular girl in the whole school. Here she goes again trying to prove to the world that being her was cool. I continued to sit there minding my own business, trying to enjoy my meal. She came over and looked down at me and I looked up at her asking, “What’s the deal?”
    “You! You think you look better than me but you don’t. Your hair is nappy and you’re black as tar!” Her friends stood around laughing and all I was thinking was how ignorant they all are. The popular girl said, “Look y’all she just let me dog her in front of everybody like that.”
    I continued to eat my lunch and silently prayed for the little brat. They stood there watching me eat like I was some kind of caged animal in the city zoo. I got up with my tray in my hand and politely said, “Excuse you.”
    At that point, she ran up on me and pushed me from behind. I turned around and looked at her like she had lost her mind. I knew what she was doing. She was trying to see how far she could push me. But I’m stronger than she thinks and she could not get to me that easily. She said, “Just wait until school let’s out. I’m going to show you what being all that is really about.”
    Everyone was oohing and aahing to what she had said. I was thankful that I wasn’t a follower of her and the groupies that she led.
    At the end of the day, I was ready to confront the popular girl face to face. It was time to put this chick back into her place. She walked up to me with her skinny hands on her bony hips. There she was rolling her eyes and smacking her extra glossy lips.
    She said, “Well, what do you got to say?”
    I told her, “I usually don’t waste my time but I’ll break it down for you anyway.”
    I said, “You are the one who thinks I’m all of that and all of this. But I do have a beautiful black *** that your glossy lips can kiss. So what if my hair is nappy just the way God intended, at least I don’t waste time and money trying to have hair that ain’t mine extended. My skin color is a beauty mark that you must be too envious to behold. I guess you would go outside to tan like you do in the summer, but the temperature is too cold. I don’t have to parade around making noise just to be seen. I don’t dress to impress a bunch of folks who could care less because when I do dress and go out, I’m so fresh and so clean, clean. I’m not interested in being the most popular and it’s obvious for everyone to see but right now all eyes are off of you and are now focused on me. You wouldn’t leave me alone, now all of your own low self-esteem is being shown. Girl, you need to get a grip on what makes a person who they are. So what if you drive a Maxima and I drive a Chevette, we both are driving cars. Material things come and go just as the sun rise and set. I am putting knowledge in your ear and hopefully you won’t forget. You need others approval to validate your self worth. It’s too bad that your confidence is so low that you have been misguided by the comforts of this earth. That’s why you are so miserable and unhappy. Enjoy your life, be yourself, let go of the weave and be nappy. It takes self-love to accept the all natural you. Seriously, what are you really trying to prove? You want to be like me, unique, refined, and fancy-free. Be you, accept how God made you to be. Focus on you and not on me.”
    She stood there with her mouth open wide. It was evident that my words hurt her falsified pride. She looked around to see who was paying close attention to what was just said. I wondered what was going through her pretty little head. She looked me in my eyes and her whole demeanor was the lowest of the lows. Did she have a change of heart? Only God knows.

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    tyte story i was all into it

3. the_story

the_story Well-Known Member MEMBER

n/a
    Ratings:
    +1