Black Entertainment : Pop artists going conscious (JAY-Z)

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by Ikoro, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Hetepu.

Would've put this in the celebrities section, but decided not to.

Anyone heard Jay-Z's new album Kingdom Come? Maybe I've gotten old, but he doesn't touch me anymore (never -really- did). The whole album is IMO weak.

Nothing new.

EXCEPT for the two last tracks, especially Minority Report. That is the DEEPEST I have heard from a pop-artist in the longest time. I was shocked, and positively surprised upon hearing him quietly rap about the "Katrina-Incident" on Minority Report:

"Sure I ponied up a mill, but I didn't give my time
    So in reality I didn't give a dime, or a ****
    I just put my monies in the hands of the same people that left my people stranded
    Nothin' but a bandit
    Left them folks abandoned
    ****, that money that we gave was just a band-aid
    Can’t say we better off than we was before
    In synopsis this is my minority report"

Word. Check the last song called Beach Chair. Wish he had more songs like this.

Also, the papers down here, being racist WS funded media, supported and spoke warmly of every track except for Minority Report, saying he "over-does it, and borders on being speculative and conspirative"....huh?!

Makes me think that when our mainstream artists get a little sense in their head, they meet resistance from every single angle. That's why they maybe decide to stay stupid...?

Was wondering if there were any stories on mainstream artists who lost popularity due to "going consciouss"?

One.

~Ikoro

2. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    yea

you make alot of sense

when i did an album 3 years ago

i was told to dumb my lyrics down

and as you know THAT was extremely hard for me

the dumber the lyric the more popular it will be i was told

3. Orisons

Orisons Well-Known Member MEMBER

United Kingdom
    Mechanical Designer/Project Manager
    Ratings:
    +601
    Are you really Surprised?

I can remember the way Public Enemy were pressurised and attacked and the likes of KRS1 and the like though respected are NEVER projected and promoted as energetically as the caricature like confused Coloured, Negro, Black HIMBOS and BIMBOS as opposed to conscious Africans.

Our music is being used to poison our youth [and the whole planet] into being truly clueless AUTOMATONS, whereas the serious stuff that would encourage them to become intelligently aware, functional people is marginalised and ignored by the status quo because such people are very difficult to control.

Anyone who genuinely believes they are not programmed
    is graphically illustrating that their programming is COMPLETE!
    [HASTY my alter ego]!​

4. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Ah, I hear you Street Soja. That's why we need to do like Brother Akir and Imortal Technique and them, do our own and own our own. Hear me?

Indeed, Orisons. As the white man knows a lot better than most of us: A mind is a terrible thing to waste (that's why they do it).

Any known articles or anything about artists in the US who have been censored for being too smart or consciouss? I know Kanye resently got sanctioned (somehow) for saying Bush doesn't like black people (loved it).

But other than that... I don't see Bustah Rhymes doing anything for the community openly, or 50 cent, or Dr.Dre or anybody.

And they (apart from 50) just CANNOT be that blind. I mean, being in the position they're in and all. They must be able to see the state we are in, and thus must feel obligated to do SOMEthing.

~Ikoro