Black People : Poor Infection Control in Most Hospitals!!!!

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Kemetstry, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    Poor infection control at many surgery centers

70 percent studied had at least one lapse, including failing to wash hands

By CARLA K. JOHNSON

updated 4:00 p.m. ET, Tues., June 8, 2010
    CHICAGO - A new federal study finds many same-day surgery centers — where patients get such things as foot operations and pain injections — have serious problems with infection control.

Failure to wash hands, wear gloves and clean blood glucose meters were among the reported breaches. Clinics reused devices meant for one person or dipped into single-dose medicine vials for multiple patients.

The findings, appearing in Wednesday's Journal of the American Medical Association, suggest lax infection practices may pervade the nation's more than 5,000 outpatient centers, experts said.

"These are basic fundamentals of infection control, things like cleaning your hands, cleaning surfaces in patient care areas," said lead author Dr. Melissa Schaefer of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "It's all surprising and somewhat disappointing."

The study was prompted by a hepatitis C outbreak in Las Vegas believed to be caused by unsafe injection practices at two now-closed clinics.

It's the first report from a push to more vigorously inspect U.S. outpatient centers, a growing segment of the health care system that annually performs more than 6 million procedures and collects $3 billion from Medicare. Procedures performed at such centers include exams of the esophagus, colonoscopies and plastic surgery.

In the study, state inspectors visited 68 centers in Maryland, North Carolina and Oklahoma. They used a new audit tool focusing on infection control. At each site, inspectors followed at least one patient through an entire stay. Inspections weren't announced ahead of time, but staff were notified once inspectors arrived.

Nearly 70 percent had at least one lapse
    The new study found 67 percent of the centers had at least one lapse in infection control and 57 percent were cited for deficiencies. The study didn't look at whether any of the lapses actually led to infections in patients.

"These people knew they were under observation, had the opportunity to be on their best behavior and yet these lapses were still identified, some of which potentially are very dangerous and have been warned against explicitly," said Dr. Philip Barie of Weill Cornell Medical College in New York. Barie was not involved in the study but wrote an accompanying editorial in the journal.

A few centers in the study hadn't been inspected in 12 years. State agencies have the main responsibility for making sure centers comply with federal standards, but states often fall behind

In the Nevada outbreak, officials notified 63,000 patients that they might have been exposed to blood-borne diseases. Nine cases of hepatitis C were linked to the clinics; more than 100 other cases also may be related.

States now are required to use the new audit tool to inspect centers participating in Medicare. Of surveys using the tool so far, 61 percent of centers have been cited for an infection control deficiency.

The new findings will cause centers to "redouble our efforts to improve patient care," said Dr. David Shapiro of the Ambulatory Surgery Center Association, a trade group. "Any incident is one too many."

:em0200:

2. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    wow....I never did any clinical work , but worked in a few hospitals throughout
    chicago and nursing homes and i know the practices taken .
    This was surprising but also hold truth i also have seen it first hand before.

3. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122
    I think it's high time we all demand that hospitals live up to their ideals. We shouldnt get killed for a visit

4. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    They try but can't today people get into the field for a pay check and not the health or care to another.

yes so true action is needed and demanded

5. CITIZEN

CITIZEN Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +144
    I would strongly advise anyone not to go to these outpatient centers for treatment. They are not hospitals. These centers are run by docs who don't want the hassle/strict guidelines that hospitals require. They just want profit and to have you in and out ASAP. If they only take private insurance (and many do), then nobody is watching them.

Also, they typically have their own XR, CT, MRI, etc, so they make money off that too. Everyone with allergies gets a CT of their sinuses! Every headache gets an MRI! Obamacare is putting a stop to some of that, but not the outpatient centers.

Hospitals are also scary at times too. Last year, it was discovered that some of our vets contracted Hepatitis and/or HIV from colonoscopy equipment that was not properly cleaned. This occurred at 3-4 VA hospitals, and the actual numbers of infected were never released although over 10,000 patients were notified.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29900278/

6. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    It's a mess.

My Medicaid HMO sent me to this clinic as my primary care and man. when you take a urine test you go in the bathroom and there 's a shelf with a window over it. On the self are the cups staqcked on toop lof each other. Just plain old plastic cups like you buy at the supermarket or dollar store for a picnic. You take a cup off the stack, pee into it then put it back on the same shelp with the supposed to be stirile cups, no cover, no label.

They wanted to do blood work but when I went in the doctor (nurse practitioner really) was out sick and there was a strong smell of mildew or something. I said aw hell to the no! Ain't no way in the world I'm going to let these people anywhere near my blood.

7. Ankhur

Ankhur Well-Known Member MEMBER

owner of various real estate concerns
    Ratings:
    +3,014
    Hospitals kill more people then all the homicides put together.

Get a certified MD who is also a naturopath to dispense herbals, and supplements to one or anyones loved ones hospitalized.

8. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

Actually, hospitals arent that much better. My son just got out of an extended stay. If it was a resteraunt, I could have it shut down! They dont clean regularly or right.

9. Kemetstry

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,122

And we have the best medical care in the world?

:10500:

10. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I never once felt the U.S could give top notch care , because they too busy wanting to try and do new experiments on you or your body parts !