Black People : Pool boots kids who, "Might change the complexion."

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Siren, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Siren

Siren Active Member MEMBER

R/A
    Ratings:
    +5
    More than 60 campers from Northeast Philadelphia were turned away from a private swim club and left to wonder if their race was the reason. "I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,'" said camper Dymire Baylor.
    The Creative Steps Day Camp paid more than $1900 to The Valley Swim Club. The Valley Swim Club is a private club that advertises open membership. But the campers' first visit to the pool suggested otherwise.

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

The next day the club told the camp director that the camp's membership was being suspended and their money would be refunded.

Here are the accompanying posts:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/allison-kilkenny/philadelphia-private-swim_b_228253.html

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Pool-Boots-Kids-Who-Might-Change-the-Complexion.html

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,736
    that is north east philly...

when we elected a black mayor, they tried to sussede from philly and form their own city.

3. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    SMH...in this day and age we live in with so much available info....
    ignorance is still king....

one love
    khasm

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Yes, racism still exists in 2009. Did anyone think it would not?

When we have enough control over our lives to have time for these leisure clubs we can form our own. But right now we have more important things to do with our resources. Getting into these clubs is not a new frontier. It's a distraction from what we really need to be doing.

5. conflict

conflict Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4
    not surprised@ all. "swim clubs" are their way of segregating themselves from us. as a long time philadelphian the racism of the northeast people is nothing new to me. it hasnt been blatant but it has definitely been implied through the looks and body language of the white folk up there.... the public pools arent that bad believe it or not. i hate when black ppl flock to the northeast because they think everything is better and cleaner there.

6. Josef

Josef Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Electrical wiring tech
    Ratings:
    +411
    This sounds to be a publicity stunt to me...if that is the case, and while I do believe it was totally wrong for the exclusion...

why are we still thinking that the white mans ice is so much colder?

And if it is, then how do we get some of it...If feels like such a huge step backwards..where we had to fight to sit, stand, and wait in line with white folks...

But looking at the price tag, this may be a case of not just race,... but class, status, repeat customers etc.

from how this story sounds(which is a bit onesided),.. the club was all for it, when the only color that came into play was Green* $$$$money, money. money..monaaaayyyyy*....

it would seem that civil rights were violated...

but, there may be a few things that I too, may want to stay, and keep private for ourselves..I'm not hating on anyone, but should we not have that right??..not to exclude, but just maintain what is our home, our own club...

will our Pres have anything to say on this?..time will tell...

7. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    This is proof positive that racism WILL NOT ever go away. As much information is out there regarding the races, should someone choose to discriminate it is because this is what they want to do. Not because they are ignorant. Normally I say forget about them and keep it pushing. But in this case, every Black person in the area should go and spit in the pool!

Peace

8. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,736
    white people on the case....

the other white people have thrown up a picket line around the club.
    the white people are charging the club white people wit racism.

9. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    WOW!

Now I am impressed.And I hope you guys are right up there with them.

10. mazimtaim

mazimtaim Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +50
    Let them racist freaks have their own pool. Screw them. It ain't like there are other pools to go to. I think it is problematic to mix with folks who really don't like you. The only thing you can buy is tolerance. That isn't enough for us or our children.