Amun-Ra : Polygamy

amun-ra
as i read your thread i felt i had stepped back into the late sixties, early seventies, when such ideas were thought,talked about and actually done.
I think if pologamy can/does work it is a good thing for all parties..however, i wonder why you have not responded to rivers thoughts
Many of the problems of those relationships (none of which exist today and i knew of at least 40) are the very things river states in her reply.
l- the economic resources did not fully afford the man taking care of two or even 3 households
2- the support systems in other countries do not exist in the usa
3- the slave rooted african-american, as much as he is a descendent of africa,is very much an american and a true amalgamation of its culture and the discovery of it's own identity
Like River...first we must truly love each other as human beings before we move to the complexity and the real maturity of such a relationship.
And as much as we talk about it the harsh reality of who we are and how we live and think today makes me feel that it would take some psychological help(which I think most of us need anyway)and a real sense of self and political consciousness to make it work in this society.
but...as a concept and if the right kinds of personalities (to me that means mature(usually that means experiencedand sometimes older aged) adults . I think it is one of the ways for human beings to come together and not be and or die alone..

Hey Deepy,

Yes that is what it's all about--reality and maturity. The systems and structures that we have now started out as ideals. Dreams in someone's mind that they could build a utopis by changing the structures. Now that things didn't pan out the way they looked on paper we want to cover the harsh realities with new ideals for new structures. Until we are mature enough to face the harsh realities and deal with them we will always be starting over like this like someone who marries and divorces over and over without ever recognizing the role they play in their own life.

i believe that consenting adults should be allowed to form any type of relationship they want under the law.

I've been in a commune and in polygamous relationships.

i found that there was constant pressure on the women from family and Friends. there was no rest until the women went into a conventional relationship.

so my problem is not with the relationship itself but that society will not leave you alone.

That's what the law is for because so many people think that just because they are adults they can do whatever they like without consideration of the social consequences. It's like if all the cells in your body just decided to do whatever they like. They do this sometimes and the resilt is disease and dysfunction.

Yes, we are individuals but that does not mean our actions have no impact on others beyond them minding their business. The conseequences do affect others so why should we expect people to just be quiet and leve us alone? No one lives in a vaccuum on another planet by themselves where nothing they do has any consequences that could affect other people. Certainly the consequences outlined above affect more than just the people involved.

river said:
That's what the law is for because so many people think that just because they are adults they can do whatever they like without consideration of the social consequences. It's like if all the cells in your body just decided to do whatever they like. They do this sometimes and the result is disease and dysfunction.

Yes, we are individuals but that does not mean our actions have no impact on others beyond them minding their business. The consequences do affect others so why should we expect people to just be quiet and leave us alone? No one lives in a vacuum on another planet by themselves where nothing they do has any consequences that could affect other people. Certainly the consequences outlined above affect more than just the people involved.

since what one does affects other people, the other people have the right to tell one what to do?
your writing this post affects me, do i have the right to tell you what to write?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back