Polycystic Ovarian Sydrome

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Nubian One, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Nubian One

Nubian One Well-Known Member MEMBER

Fulltime Student & Sexual Health Educator
    Ratings:
    +11
    Does anyone here know much about PCOS?

An estimated 5 to 10 percent of women of childbearing age have PCOS.

2. Shanna

Shanna Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    My mama has it. She is "Ledda" on this site and she has lots of trouble with it. She has severe pelvic pain most days and instead of taking narcotic pain medications that the doctor has prescribed like Darvocet and Lortab, she takes about 1000-3000 mg. of ibuprofen a day, depending on how bad the pain is. The other medicines make her sleepy and high and get in the way of her working. In addition to this, which she was just diagnosed with back in October of last year, she also has uterine fibroids and endometriosis. I don't know that she wanted me to share all of this, though. I might be in trouble.

3. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    My cousin says she has cysts and can no longer have children.

4. Shanna

Shanna Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    It's ok.
    She said the doctor told her it was caused by a hormonal imbalance and an increase in testosterone. She takes metformin which is also precribed for diabetics to lower the testosterone. She is a nurse and her own worse patient because she hasn't taken the medicine like she should have-she says she forgets-and she hasn't gone back to the doctor to see if it's got any better or worse.

5. Nubian One

Nubian One Well-Known Member MEMBER

Fulltime Student & Sexual Health Educator
    Ratings:
    +11
    Wow, I didn't realize it could be so tramatic.. Shanna hopefully you mom won't be too upset.. You're just spitting knowledge and useful info.

I went to my doctor about 2 years ago because of an irregular cycle, after testing and testing.. I had an ultra sound which displayed a cyst on my right ovary. Within the past 2 years it has become smaller.. and I was told that it's really nothing to worry about. It has never given me any pain and I've haven't had much trouble w/ it besides my irregualr menstration.. Although I do tend to get unbearable cramps.. which I don't think is a result of the cyst

My doctor prescribed ortho try cyclen which is a contraceptive to help regulate everything.. My ObGyn also said that once I come off the birth control, the cyst wouldn't affect me trying to conceive.

In any case, I was just curious.. I was reading an article about it this morning which prompted me to make this thread..

6. Ayana

Ayana Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend Sacred Woman by Queen Afua,she has natural remedies to getting rid of cysts and other common female problems.

7. Shanna

Shanna Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    She says hers is secondary to the conditions she already has-nursing talk-the primary condition being the fibroids. She has irregular periods too, sometimes skipping one to four months at a time. This last time she skipped May, started her period on June 19 when we were in ST. Louis and it lasted three weeks then she was off for a week and started again.