Health and Wellness : Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) and Your Health

Discussion in 'Black Health and Wellness' started by Liberty, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Liberty

Liberty going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    What are PCBs?

Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) are a group of manufactured organic chemicals that contain 209 individual chlorinated chemicals (known as congeners). Concentrated PCBs are either oily liquids or solids and are colorless to light yellow in color. They have no known smell or taste. There are no known natural sources of PCBs. Some commercial PCB mixtures are known in the United States by their industrial trade name, Aroclor.

PCBs don't burn easily and are good insulating material. They have been used widely as coolants and lubricants in transformers, capacitors, and other electrical equipment. The manufacture of PCBs stopped in the United States in 1977 because of evidence that they build up in the environment and cause harmful health effects. Products containing PCBs are old fluorescent lighting fixtures, electrical appliances containing PCB capacitors, old microscope oil, and hydraulic fluids.

During the time that PCBs were manufactured, there were often no effective controls on disposal. Because they do not break down easily, PCBs are now found widely distributed in our environment. Generally their concentrations in the environment are quite low. However, the chemical properties of PCBs cause them to be concentrated up the food chain.

Read more

https://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/environmental/pcb-fish.htm

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

Which fish are safe to eat?

In general, eat smaller, younger fish. Small organisms absorb contaminants in the water, and are in turn eaten by small fish. Big fish eat the small fish, and in this way, the contaminants accumulate up the food chain. The top level predators such as walleye and bass contain the highest amounts of contaminants. Since PCBs are stored in fat, smaller, leaner, shorter-lived species such as bluegills, crappie and yellow perch contain very low or undetectable levels of PCBs.

Great Lakes fish and fish from the Mississippi River are more likely to contain PCBs than fish from Wisconsin inland lakes and rivers.

3. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    For me it can be complicated and a lot to remember. I go to a fish market and they are well informed.

4. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    [​IMG]

5. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    I am not sure why all this published info is saying these shellfish are safe. Itals/Vegan Macrobiotics do not ever eat shellfish or bottom feeders for the reasons I stated.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,077

Gotchu ...

7. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,225
  8. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    6 Disgusting Facts About Farmed Shrimp

The imported shellfish may contain banned antibiotics, salmonella, and even rat hair.

[​IMG]

Shrimp is the most popular seafood in the United States, but here's an unsettling fact that might keep you from ordering your next shrimp cocktail: 90 percent of the shrimp we eat has been imported, but less than 2 percent of that gets inspected by U.S. regulatory agencies. What's the big deal?
    Imported shrimp, more than any other seafood, has been found to be contaminated with banned chemicals, pesticides, and even cockroaches, and it skirts food-safety authorities only to wind up on your plate. The number one reason for all that: the dirty conditions in which farmed shrimp are raised.

They're Filthy
    Banned antibiotics aren't the only unwanted sides you get with imported shrimp. Previous tests have found penicillin, an antibiotic that, while legal, could trigger allergic reactions in unsuspecting shrimp-lovers. "Imported farmed shrimp comes with a whole bevy of contaminants: antibiotics, residues from chemicals used to clean pens, filth like mouse hair, rat hair, and
    pieces of insects," says Marianne Cufone, director of the fish program at the nonprofit Food and Water Watch. And that list doesn't include Salmonella and E. coli, both of which have been detected in imported shrimp. In fact, imported shrimp is so dirty that it accounts for 26 to 35 percent of all shipments of imported seafood that get rejected due to filth, according to Food & Water Watch.

Read more

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/food/6-disgusting-facts-about-farmed-shrimp

9. NNQueen

NNQueen going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    I almost threw up when I read that about shrimp. That is frightening and disgusting. This thread is a good source of information. From an economic and social justice standpoint, how many of us can afford to buy higher quality foods for ourselves and families that are freshly caught in the wild vs. in a can or packaged from some farm raised source?

10. Liberty

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    Right.... And, once you have the knowledge, it is very difficult to feed yourself and your family toxic food. You can buy "fresh, wild caught, Alaskan, salmon or tuna, in a can, but that's a whole 'nother problem. I love to make salmon croquettes frequently.

I don't know what area you live in. But, for example... here the safer salmon in the can is $7.99, while the icky stuff is $2.99 per can. My path is to not eat canned foods at all.

Also, I have found that some stores in AA communities only sell catfish, tilapia, and shellfish, all dirty fish. They don't have any organic fruits or vegetables. And, they don't have a health food aisle. I have asked the management why the same grocery chain offers healthy food to white neighborhoods, and unhealthy foods to AA neighborhoods. He said it was because they don't sell well in AA neighborhoods. Hmmm....