Black Education / Schools : Poll - Your Highest Education?

Discussion in 'Black Education / Schools' started by medusanegrita, Apr 28, 2010.

?

What is your Highest Educational Attainment Level?

1. Less than high school.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. High school graduate/GED.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. High School graduate/GED with vocational training or military training.

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Associate's Degree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bachelors

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  6. Graduate School (Master's or PhD, JD)

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Check the poll. Add comments as you wish.

2. awo dino

awo dino Well-Known Member MEMBER

carpenter, anthropologist, teacher. Right now I te
    Ratings:
    +1,258
    My highest level of education was received by my father, who taught me about character, responsibility and courage, and my mother who taught me about compassion, fairness and unconditional love.

3. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    That is an awesome statement and tribute to your parents. While you and I dissagree on so much, I cannot express just how much this statement touches me.

The first thing that jumped out at me is the fact that so many of our young people are denied this basic right by fathers who are absent from their lives.

Then next thing I thought is that as a parent myself I strive to earn that type of comment from my own children. Just last week, my oldest daughter and I, who is now married with children of her own, were reminiscing her teenage years. She was telling me how as a teenager, she hated the restrictions I placed on her. She told me that as she look back on those years and think about the many, many hours I would spend explaining why I imposed those restrictions, telling her of my high expectations for her, and explaining that she needed to respect herself and keep her body for her husband that she did not like hearing all of those things then but now realizes how much those talks and restrictions protected her from.

Just imagine if all of our young Black men and Women could make the same declaration as you have here. I think we would be so much stronger as a people. Thanks again for that statement in honor of your parents. I am sure they would be deeply touched to read or hear them from you. Mothers day is Sunday, hint, hint.

4. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I selected "High School graduate/GED with vocational training or military training" but I also have college more than an associates but less than a bacholars degree. I don't have an associates degree. Thanks to the military, I obtained a career that would typically require at least a bacholars degree and in some cases a post graduate degree. Instead of paying for this education, I was paid to get it and building valuable experience for the civilian sector from day one.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0883617.html

5. medusanegrita

medusanegrita Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +565
    Cute and sweet, but not what I had in mind. Ofcourse you knew that.

You don't even want to know what my parents taught me :rolleyes:

I have to find something good out of something bad.
    OK, I ain't gonna put my down folks like that. I'm gonna say 'I have to find something good out of something not-so-good.'

For me, that's not that hard; but it basically amounts too learning ways to do something from what NOT to do, and my parents and family were great examples of what NOT to do. A lovely little lesson in dysfunctional human behavior, psychoanalysis, and pathology. Instead of starting on a great foundation, you have to patch the holes in the one you got or make another foundation where that one crumbled, fell down, and there isn't one.

6. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    Currently A college sophomore going for my bachelors in Clincal/Consueling Psychology

Looking for my PhD or PsyD in Clincal/Consueling Psychology

7. MimiBelle

MimiBelle Well-Known Member MEMBER

RN-BSN
    Ratings:
    +426
    - Two in nursing BSN and ADN (but adn doesn't really count).
    - Military vocational training (xray, ct and nursing).
    They paid my way through college via ROTC.
    ...and, for that, I am grateful.

Currently looking into/applying to some CRNA program. Everything's on hold right now, though. I'd like to relocate to La. I see that FSU's (I think) CRNA program is, like, the lowest in the country.

When I settle on a program and complete that - I'll have an MSN (master's).
    Think I'll stop there.

My title will then be: M(r)s 'Mimibelle'...CRNA, MSN, BSN-RN, ADN, PCT...CNA.
    *laugh*
    I'll have enough letters behind my name to satisfy my 'ego needs'.
    ...and I'm going to list just like that. On everything. Just to be pretentious!
    You know how nurses are with the 'credentials'.
    *laugh*

I lack the mental stamina to go further than an MSN. Unless, it means MORE money -- I'm not sure there'd be much purpose in it.
    Forget the degree - the powers that be make you leap through enough hoops just to get an 'RN' behind your name!

It's not as easy as everyone would have you believe. 'Specially now - in this economy? I feel for the new grads in Fl and CA (particularly). Many can't find work.
    Too many individuals are leaping in without proper research. 'Ooh, the medical field. That's where all the jobs are. Ooh, I can go to school for 2 years and get out making $60,000+/year."
    Some or many will burn out because they aren't cut out to be nurses. Others are far too idealistic. All depends on where you live.

Oh, yeah...sure - there's a 'shortage' (of EXPERIENCED nurses.)
    *Read the fine-print.*
    The nursing workforce is around 45-53 yrs old. They're approaching retirement. Many are overworked. Turnover rate is increasing, I believe. Depending on the state, the noobs can't get work and in places like Florida, nursing schools are turning 40+% of their qualified applicants away because no one wants to teach and no one wants to pay nursing instructors a decent salary.
    When(ever) this recession finally lifts, the shortage will be revealed and it will be worse than ever...

We have two generations of Boomers coming down the pipes. (1950's and 2000). The Boomers are right on our tail. 10-15 until they hit retirement. There won't be enough qualified and experienced nurses to handle the influx.
    ...because there aren't enough now -- and we've know about the 'shortage' for how long? Like, 20 years?
    *laugh*
    These schools don't want to act right. I say bring back the 'diploma' programs and let the hospitals train the nurses.
    Or...allow the 'diploma' nurses to instruct. They usually have the MOST experience of any of us and did not incur much debt to become an RN so the paycut wouldn't be much of an issue...to THAT end.