Black People : Police Violence Escalates in New York

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,677
    Police Violence Escalates in New York

[​IMG]
    Cab driver Stephen Springle, explains to protestors how he was maced and beaten
    by Staten Island police officers during racial injustice demonstration in front of Staten Island District Attorneys Office.

“We demand that policing which only serves to brutalize and terrorize communities of color must stop,” said an internet message from Peoples’ Justice for Community Control and Police Accountability, a grassroots coalition of anti-police brutality organizations.

The message was sent out in response to the most recent police shooting of a Black youth in the city: Five officers—three regular city police officers and two from the New York Police Dept. Housing Unit—shot and killed 18-year-old Khiel Coppin. Mr. Coppin had a hairbrush in his hands Nov. 12 when officers fired 20 rounds at him.

It “appears officers were acting within department guidelines,” said Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

“With the one-year anniversary of the killing of Sean Bell looming, this latest killing at the hands of trigger happy police officers is a disturbing reminder that police violence continues with people of color as its primary targets,” said Peoples’ Justice.

“This killing once again reveals the pattern, and policy, of the NYPD to shoot to kill in communities of color as an initial response, regardless of whether the circumstances call for deadly force,” the group added.

Police officials said officers were responding to a 911 call from Mr. Coppin’s mother, who asked for help with a domestic dispute. A man’s voice could be heard in the background threatening to kill her and claiming “I have a gun,” according to police officials. Mr. Coppin had stopped taking his anti-psychotic medication, medication for attention deficit disorder and was acting strange, according to relatives and police.

“When she called for help, it was like dialing M for murder. We need to decentralize the police department. We carry around a candy bar – they shoot us. Little Clifford Glover had an afro pick and they killed him, Amadou Diallo’s wallet was enough to get him killed. Now a hairbrush! The police have gone wild,” said Brooklyn Councilman Charles Barron.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    what else is new

what criminal announces i have a gun unless he's robbing you?

and you never know what can happen

most cops are good they're not looking for trouble

i only have a problem when they beat up on "innocent" people

that's all

and for the record Staten Island will never be part of NYC

lol

just teasin' relax Stapleton

3. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    For the record...

4. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    What about Elanor Bumpers?

We do not have a sense of outrage, locally, nationally or globally these incidents are simple tests in sociology to see how complacent the black community is, thats all!
    It doesn't matter how many die needlessly we fail to organize to boycott or withhold our dollars on a massive basis!

5. phynxofkemet

phynxofkemet Well-Known Member MEMBER

child care provider
    Ratings:
    +73
    I agree complacency hurts us

I think you nailed it on the head, the abuse and terror continue because there aren't repercussions from the Black community. No one is suggesting becoming a vigilante but certainly economic boycotts are the one thing everyone hears, the holding out of the GREEN! I am personally tired of meetings, and referendums and inquests, enough talk and red tape to cover the mouths of protests, keep our dollars in our pockets in an organized fashion, target the right industries/markets and we might just get heard!

6. rasembi aunk

rasembi aunk Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118

That's an understatement. They will fall to their knees!!!

7. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    :toast:

8. Natinr

Natinr Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    :luvv: