Black People Politics : Police militerization

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by indya, Sep 3, 2014.

1. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    With all that has and is happening in Ferguson I find it interesting that a measure to stop militarizing the police was voted down back in June. The Congressional black caucus voted overwhelmingly to continue the practice.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/index...aucus-voted-to-preserve-police-militarization

With elections coming up I plan to keep an eye on what the politicians are DOING and voting for, not what they're saying.

2. shaka64

shaka64 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Photographer
    Ratings:
    +956
    Excellent assessment. Let's make this a priority. Keep us informed and lets reach out to everyone possible to make sure we demand change of this judgment. It takes millions to hold us back but a few of us can make a change.

3. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    We had a talk here on Destee about this very thing. One interesting point among many was why are police being issued silencers for their weapons.:thinking:

Peace!

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Good seeing you back indya, and thanks for sharing this information, not only is it interesting, its ironic as well and down right stunning, smh. The article you shared prompted me to find out why the vote went the way it did, and thanks again.

In researching the mistake made by so many of the CBC, and others that voted against the amendment, I found this:

Congressman Hank Johnson Will Introduce Bill To Stop The Militarization Of Police

... According to data compiled by Maplight, the lawmakers “voting to continue funding the 1033 Program have received, on average, 73 percent more money from the defense industry than representatives voting to defund it.” In all, the average lawmaker voting against the bill received more than $50,000 in campaign donations from the defense industry in the last two years. The report also found that of the 59 lawmakers who received more than $100,000 from defense contractors in the last two years, only four voted for Grayson’s legislation ...

http://www.whenthenewsstops.org/2014/08/the-perception-of-us-police.html?view=mosaic

Hank Johnson's new bill should pass easily, after the World witnessed Ferguson, and Clay has a chance to reprieve his actions; lets see what happens on the second go-around ...

[​IMG]
    Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.)

5. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    Great find, although it doesn't make me feel any better to find out that the reason they voted the way they did was because they got paid.

This is probably my greatest problem with them NOT having term limits. Term limits wouldn't stop the corruption, but at least we'd get a new group in that possibly wouldn't be as good at it :)

Hopefully with these articles being spread around, the politicians will be pressured to vote for this legislation.

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

Thanks, and me either indya, in fact, as you say, they got paid by the lobbyist(s), to vote against their better interest, smh.

We touch and agree on term limits and circulating informational articles, which would pressure these folk to vote in favor of the constituents they represent.

Well look indya, I'm part of a group of folk here that meets every Saturday at 6PM Central, in our chat room, to promote plans such as you've recommended. Particularly, your idea to "track politicians" in order to keep the public informed, was recently put on the table by one of our members, verbatim.

So if you are available, let me invite you to participate with us on Saturdays, or post your political thoughts to the designated Thread below:

Politics From The Black Perspective
    Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Clyde C Coger Jr, Apr 27, 2011

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/politics-from-the-black-perspective.66166/

Current group members, discussing Black Politics in real time:

butterfly#1
    HODEE
    shaka64
    Kemetstry
    Destee

7. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings: