Law Forum : Police making cellphone searches without a warrant - 4th amendment case before SCOTUS

Discussion in 'Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership' started by Kadijah, May 5, 2014.

1. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952

2. JuneBugg

JuneBugg Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +247
    As a whole SCOTUS have sided with the power and establishment most of the time. Scalia plays that little game, he will say things that seem he is slightly sympathetic with the powerless and minority but comes down hard in favor of the establishment and powerful. He does that to muddy the optics that he is indeed biased and promote conservative causes. If it means it will put more people of color in jail he will rule to have our cracks examined in the streets. Next to Clarence, he is the most incompetent Justice in the history of SCOTUS.

Clarence, Scalia and Roberts are personal friends of the Koch brothers and Alito always rules conservative and those 4 are reliable to vote in favor of the death penalty, expanded police powers and restrictions on abortion, big business, oligarchs and plutocrats. All 3 attend Koch brother meetings and go on vacations with them. Clarence got a Thomas Jefferson Bible from one of the Koch brothers for spit shining his shoes. Kennedy is the so called swing vote but if you notice he swings when it does not hurt business and the establishment, Kennedy voted in favor of Bush in Bush vs Gore when the SCOTUS picked the president in 2000 amid the Florida vote counting mess. This SCOTUS is the most conservative in modern history.

3. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I was thinking more along the lines of a cop having the authority to rummage through my cell phone.... without a warrant. You know, like being stopped for DWB and demanding not only your license, but your cell phone to check your texts, pix, previous calls, etc.? :10500:

4. JuneBugg

Ratings:
    +247
    Yes in a case they can do that as of now and been doing it for a long time if for some reason they are investing you, they don't need your phone much of that data can come from your cell phone provider. If you watch The Next 48 hrs that is one of the first things they do in a investigation. I'm not sure if they have the power to do it on the spot like that, DWB, I don't think so but you know cops do whatever they want. If you don't have a private lawyer, they can get away with almost anything and that is what they bet on, you can't afford a lawyer so they can railrode you.

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Did you read the article?

6. JuneBugg

Ratings:
    +247
    I did. Its been going on and being challenged in SCOTUS.

7. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I have had cops ask to see something in my wallet. I told them "No" (if they "ask" obviously they can't demand ;) ). They shrugged their shoulders and kept it moving.

Nonetheless, I have much more in my cell phone that is personal than is in my wallet. I would never "agree" to a cop rummaging through my cell phone..... which is why they want to trash my 4th Amendment right to freedom from Undue Search and Seizure. Seizing my cell phone and without a WARRANT, going through my documents, emails, texts, phone records.

8. JuneBugg

Ratings:
    +247
    Smart phones are computers with cell phone features and to search a computer cops have to get a warrant. But they have not been treating smart phones like computers. It's a gray area that cops been taking advantage of. Lots of people incriminate themselves with pictures, vids, records, bills, addresses, GPS and texts cops find on a smart phone without a warrant.

9. Charles IKS

Charles IKS Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +154
    Set up your phone to automatically sync to youtube, facebook or any other social/media site so if they ever catch you filming them doing something illegal, the evidence will be uploading before they can erase it.

10. MS234

MS234 Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +3,900

Isn't that the point?

(rhetorical question) lol