Black People Politics : Police Commissioner Calls Obama the N-word

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by ellen covington, May 15, 2014.

1. ellen covington

ellen covington Well-Known Member MEMBER

community leader
    Ratings:
    +120
    Have we reached a point where we are so comfortable with past that the N word is acceptable.

A local Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, official is refusing to apologize for describing Barack Obama as "that ******* ******" because, according to him, Obama "meets and exceeds my criteria" for use of that word. Oh, and he says he's not a racist, of course.

Bob Copeland, a member of the town's three-person police commission, was overheard using the phrase by Wolfeboro resident Jane O'Toole, who complained of the incident to his supervisor, commission chairman Joseph Balboni Jr. In response, she received a letter from Copeland himself, who offered this non-apology:

While I believe the problems associated with minorities in this country are momentous, I am not phobic. My use of derogatory slang in reference to those among them undeserving of respect is no secret. It is the exercise of my 1st Amendment rights... I believe I did use the “N” word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse [sic]. For this I do not apologize – he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.

This defense makes it sound like Copeland, who is 82 years old and a former lawyer, thinks the n-word is akin to say, "jerk," or "loser," which are both slightly rude but not-raced based ways to describe someone you don't respect. That opinion appears to be shared by Balboni, who told the New Hampshire Union Leader that "this has been blown way out of proportion."

O'Toole wrote about her experience in a letter published in the Granite State News, which she shared on Facebook

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  2. ellen covington

community leader
    Ratings:
    +120
    Im surprised this story is not on the news today.

3. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    If the papers printed a story about every white person in a position of authority who called the prez the N word, a million trees would have to die.

In short, I'm NOT surprised.

4. ellen covington

community leader
    Ratings:
    +120
    Your not surprised that he wouldn't take his words back and apologize and that he even felt comfortable repeating it proudly to a news paper

5. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952

Exactly. There's no downside to dissing the black POTUS.

6. ellen covington

community leader
    Ratings:
    +120
    Why do you think that no one is talking about this and that he is receiving no back lash I mean the jayz fight got more attention this is an insult on the advancement of our people really all of the rights that were fault for in the end were all just a bunch of ___ and no one cares

:SuN015:

7. Kadijah

Kadijah Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,952
    No downside and no one fought for Obama to realize his career goals. As for no one cares, well, you can only say "those so and sos called Obama the N word!" so many times before you accept that's just the way it is. Well, most people, anyway. :)

P.S.
    There's dozens of posts and threads about people calling Obama everything from a liar to a monkey. Yours is only one in a long line of insults to the POTUS.

8. Kemetstry

Kemetstry going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Chemist
    Ratings:
    +6,137
    This isn't about comfort. He is an overt racist. He always has been. Now we will see if he suffers any consequences

9. ellen covington

community leader
    Ratings:
    +120
    I dont see it on the news we have been talking about condemning each other for our wrongs. Why arenet the news covering these stories why did this man feel so comfortable saying that why are we still ___ no matter how much accomplished. what happens when young men and women go for jobs and ple are looking at them as just another___

10. ellen covington

community leader
    Ratings:
    +120
    Have you seen anything covered on the news he will not even be slapped on the wrist if he kill a couple of brothers and have his police administration go hard on separating black families he may be able to run for a mayor of his town