Black People Politics : Police Commissioner Calls Obama the N-word

ellen covington

Jul 18, 2013
brooklyn ny
Occupation
community leader
Have we reached a point where we are so comfortable with past that the N word is acceptable.

A local Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, official is refusing to apologize for describing Barack Obama as "that ******* ******" because, according to him, Obama "meets and exceeds my criteria" for use of that word. Oh, and he says he's not a racist, of course.

Bob Copeland, a member of the town's three-person police commission, was overheard using the phrase by Wolfeboro resident Jane O'Toole, who complained of the incident to his supervisor, commission chairman Joseph Balboni Jr. In response, she received a letter from Copeland himself, who offered this non-apology:

While I believe the problems associated with minorities in this country are momentous, I am not phobic. My use of derogatory slang in reference to those among them undeserving of respect is no secret. It is the exercise of my 1st Amendment rights... I believe I did use the “N” word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse [sic]. For this I do not apologize – he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.

This defense makes it sound like Copeland, who is 82 years old and a former lawyer, thinks the n-word is akin to say, "jerk," or "loser," which are both slightly rude but not-raced based ways to describe someone you don't respect. That opinion appears to be shared by Balboni, who told the New Hampshire Union Leader that "this has been blown way out of proportion."

O'Toole wrote about her experience in a letter published in the Granite State News, which she shared on Facebook

Last edited:

ellen covington

Jul 18, 2013
brooklyn ny
Occupation
community leader
I got this article from the wire.com. Have we reached a point where we are so comfortable with past that the N word is acceptable.

A local Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, official is refusing to apologize for describing Barack Obama as "that ******* ******" because, according to him, Obama "meets and exceeds my criteria" for use of that word. Oh, and he says he's not a racist, of course.

Bob Copeland, a member of the town's three-person police commission, was overheard using the phrase by Wolfeboro resident Jane O'Toole, who complained of the incident to his supervisor, commission chairman Joseph Balboni Jr. In response, she received a letter from Copeland himself, who offered this non-apology:

While I believe the problems associated with minorities in this country are momentous, I am not phobic. My use of derogatory slang in reference to those among them undeserving of respect is no secret. It is the exercise of my 1st Amendment rights... I believe I did use the “N” word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse [sic]. For this I do not apologize – he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.

This defense makes it sound like Copeland, who is 82 years old and a former lawyer, thinks the n-word is akin to say, "jerk," or "loser," which are both slightly rude but not-raced based ways to describe someone you don't respect. That opinion appears to be shared by Balboni, who told the New Hampshire Union Leader that "this has been blown way out of proportion."

O'Toole wrote about her experience in a letter published in the Granite State News, which she shared on Facebook
Im surprised this story is not on the news today.

Kadijah

Banned
Apr 7, 2013
If the papers printed a story about every white person in a position of authority who called the prez the N word, a million trees would have to die.

In short, I'm NOT surprised.

ellen covington

Jul 18, 2013
brooklyn ny
Occupation
community leader
If the papers printed a story about every white person in a position of authority who called the prez the N word, a million trees would have to die.

In short, I'm NOT surprised.
Your not surprised that he wouldn't take his words back and apologize and that he even felt comfortable repeating it proudly to a news paper

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RAPTOR Black People : NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly Urged to Resign After Police Conceal Role in Anti-Muslim Documentary Black People Open Forum 1
S Black People : 50 Yrs Ago American Police Debated George Floyd Situation On National TV Black People Open Forum 0
G Law Forum : Police Killings of Citizens in 2019 Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
G Black Entertainment : American Racist Police Show "COPS" Canceled By Paramount Productions Black Entertainment 1
HODEE Black People : 8 Can’f Wait ___ Was Created by Campaign Zero, A Police Reform Campaign - NOT A US AGAINST THEM ISSUE Black People Open Forum 18
imhotep06 Black People : Ancient Sparta (Greece) and Modern Police Brutality Black People Open Forum 0
S Black People : Minneapolis Riots. AutoZone Windows Smashed by Police Officer. Black People Open Forum 5
G Law Forum : Police Blue Wall of Silence: A Case Study In The Arrogance of Lies To Protect Criminals Who Wear The Badge Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 6
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : City suspends Miami police captain who claimed to be black Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Police: Parishioners kill man who fatally shoots 2 at church in Ft. Worth, Tx Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 8
Clyde C Coger Jr Health and Wellness : Police Shootings of Unarmed Black Americans May Affect Health of Black Infants Black Health and Wellness 0
Ndugu Black People : No Reason Why we should not have a Nationwide Boycott on Black Friday ova Police Lynching! Black People Open Forum 1
C Black People : The Solution To Police Injustice In America Is To Get Out Of America Black People Open Forum 4
C Black People : The Solution To Police Injustice In America Is To Get Out Of America Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr The Police : AG Barr said there must be 'zero tolerance for resisting police' and went after 'social-justice reformers' in a heated speech to the US's largest law- Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Police bodycam footage of woman, 65, resisting arrest sparks outrage: 'If she was black she would've been shot' Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Children : Teenager shoots at cars while shouting ‘I don’t like white people in my hood’, police say Black Children 2
Al D Africa : Murderous Police In Africa (Kenya) All Things Africa 0
Destee The Police : Detroit 911: Thousands in crisis left waiting for Detroit police Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 10
Ndugu Black People : Since we nixed Boycott the Super Bowl, advertizers over police lynching, will we boycott the movies? Black People Open Forum 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Armed Texas man arrested while heading to church to fulfill 'a prophecy,' police say Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Spirituality Religion : Alabama police department blames homicides on Satan Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : Detroit police find 63 fetuses in funeral home amid probe Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr The Police : Where does police brutality fit in America's first law enforcement museum? Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
Ndugu Black People : When we get tired of the endless police lynchings we will wage a National Boycott , 30 million of us Black People Open Forum 1
Clyde C Coger Jr The Police : Lawsuits filed over St. Louis police 'kettling' practice Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
IFE Premium Members Only : Military Pushes For Same Broad Rules Of Engagement As Civilian Police Forces Premium Members Only 6
IFE Law Forum : Military Pushes For Same Broad Rules Of Engagement As Civilian Police Forces Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr The Police : Police Killed More Than 1,100 People This Year and a Quarter of Them Were Black Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People : 'Disturbing' video of 11-year-old handcuffed at gunpoint 'makes me physically nauseous' police chief Black People Open Forum 1
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : convictions-overthrown-due-to-police-misconduct Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
HODEE Black People : How many of you remember growing up and folks used to say. The police took him in the paddy wagon? Black People Open Forum 0
Destee The Police : Utah Nurse Arrested for Not Releasing Patient's Blood to Police Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
jamesfrmphilly Black People : police-catch-pigeon-carrying-nearly-200-ecstasy-pills.... Black People Open Forum 0
freddie419 Black People : When Black America Was Pro-Police Black People Open Forum 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : american-university-called-police-to-protect-its-first-black-president Black People Politics 0
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Mississippi’s richest county uses police checkpoints to enforce segregation, lawsuit claims Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 4
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : police-stop-5-black-youths-at-gunpoint Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Justice Sotomayor Boils Down What's Twisted About The Law On Police Brutality Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2
Clyde C Coger Jr Black Positive People : Teen’s Prom Dress Honoring Black Lives Lost To Police Brutality Goes Viral Black People Doing Positive Things 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Black People Politics : An Activist Group Created Powerful Walk of Fame Stars For Victims of Police Brutality Black People Politics 0
Destee Nigeria : Thousands displaced as police raze Lagos' Otodo Gbame Nigeria 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : thabo-sefolosha-police-lawsuit settled for $4 mill Black People Politics 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : undercover-nypd-police-infiltrated-black-lives-matter Black People Politics 1
jamesfrmphilly Black People Politics : mother-of-man-shot-dead-by-police-wins-2-5m Black People Politics 0
Liberty Law Forum : Never Before Seen Michael Brown Footage Emerges From the Day of His Death. Police Say It’s ‘Not Rele Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 0
Destee The Police : Paris police say rape of black man an 'accident' Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : report-chicago-police-violated-citizens-constitutional-rights-for-years Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Clyde C Coger Jr Law Forum : Supreme Court Has Had Enough With Police Suits Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 3
jamesfrmphilly Law Forum : 4-4m-settlement-reached-in-2014-philadelphia-police-shooting Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 2